The Student Room Group

Sociology VS philosophy as level

I'm stuck on which one to pick. I already plan to do math, chemistry and biology for a levels but am unsure between philosophy and sociology. I had a look at the specifications for both and I find both very interesting. Which one would you pick?
I would suggest not picking either, you are already taking 3 A-levels and taking 4 confers no benefit whatsoever in admissions, unless two are maths and further maths and you're applying to a degree where FM is relevant (e.g. physics, engineering, CS, maths). If your school is making you take 4 to start, then just pick whatever and drop it as soon as you can.
Original post by artful_lounger
I would suggest not picking either, you are already taking 3 A-levels and taking 4 confers no benefit whatsoever in admissions, unless two are maths and further maths and you're applying to a degree where FM is relevant (e.g. physics, engineering, CS, maths). If your school is making you take 4 to start, then just pick whatever and drop it as soon as you can.

Thanks. Unfortunately my school make us do 4 a levels and drop one in year 13. I am just stuck between philosophy and sociology since I'm planning to drop them.
Original post by action123
Thanks. Unfortunately my school make us do 4 a levels and drop one in year 13. I am just stuck between philosophy and sociology since I'm planning to drop them.

Just pick whichever you find most interesting personally. What someone else finds interesting or preferable won't necessarily translate to be the case for you.

I might note is philosophy probably has more abstract material that may be less intuitive to learn about and understand, which may or may not be appealing. Although it will have theoretical foundations my understanding of the content of A-level Sociology is that there is more application emphasised with case studies etc.

So depending on whether you prefer concrete things with empirical evidence to support it (as in sociology), or abstract ideas driven primarily by the logical argument behind it from first principles (or some assumed principle, as in philosophy), one may be preferable to the other.
Do sociology imo but do whatever you’ll enjoy (read of the courses etc and look at past papers)
Original post by action123
I'm stuck on which one to pick. I already plan to do math, chemistry and biology for a levels but am unsure between philosophy and sociology. I had a look at the specifications for both and I find both very interesting. Which one would you pick?

Philosophy - it will give you different ways of thinking that can be useful for pursuing various careers with maths, chemistry and biology. Sociology would be less useful as it's more fact-based.

Quick Reply

Latest