University grades

Watch
Peace24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in third year of a health course. I've received some of my grades from last semester but I'm really not happy with them. In fact they're poor... But I passed. I was told that third year marks will be looked at when applying for jobs. Does this mean I'll have less of a chance of getting a great top job?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Peace24)
I'm in third year of a health course. I've received some of my grades from last semester but I'm really not happy with them. In fact they're poor... But I passed. I was told that third year marks will be looked at when applying for jobs. Does this mean I'll have less of a chance of getting a great top job?
Ive got jobs offers & internship offers in finance/IP/engineering. Never really came up in any of my interviews, other than a 10 second passing comment at the start (only exception was PhD).

Honestly for the most part I think they want to see a 2.1 and some might be more impressed with a 1st but in general most employers arent that picky (with uni grades) as long as you do alright overall.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Peace24
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Ive got jobs offers & internship offers in finance/IP/engineering. Never really came up in any of my interviews, other than a 10 second passing comment at the start (only exception was PhD).

Honestly for the most part I think they want to see a 2.1 and some might be more impressed with a 1st but in general most employers arent that picky (with uni grades) as long as you do alright overall.
Sorry what do you mean by 2.1 or 1st?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry what do you mean by 2.1 or 1st?
Sorry my advice was based for uk university graduates. These are types of degree classification in the UK.
Peace24
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Sorry my advice was based for uk university graduates. These are types of degree classification in the UK.
Yeah I'm an international student studying in the UK, but haven't heard of the degree classification... Is this important when it comes to grading? And does this include all degrees?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I'm an international student studying in the UK, but haven't heard of the degree classification... Is this important when it comes to grading? And does this include all degrees?
Yes, pretty much all UK degrees.
Normally 60%+ is a 2.1 & 70%+ is a 1st.

This is generally seen as the benchmark for employers. I must say im surprised you’ve made it to 3rd year without becoming familiar with this system.
Peace24
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Yes, pretty much all UK degrees.
Normally 60%+ is a 2.1 & 70%+ is a 1st.

This is generally seen as the benchmark for employers. I must say im surprised you’ve made it to 3rd year without becoming familiar with this system.

Tbh I haven't heard of it or heard anyone speak of it. So is this used for every exam individually or for the overall grade? And so if you've gotten less than 2.1 (example 3rd), are you saying it doesn't really matter or that it does?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I haven't heard of it or heard anyone speak of it. So is this used for every exam individually or for the overall grade? And so if you've gotten less than 2.1 (example 3rd), are you saying it doesn't really matter or that it does?
You get it at the end of the degrees but people often refer to an assignment by the term 2.1 etc. (People say oh i got a 2.1 on zzzz exam).

It goes
1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd.

You should familiarise yourself with these and lookup your university system. It doesn’t matter too much as long as you get a 2.1 or higher. Not getting a 2.1 presents a bigger issue.
Peace24
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
You get it at the end of the degrees but people often refer to an assignment by the term 2.1 etc. (People say oh i got a 2.1 on zzzz exam).

It goes
1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd.

You should familiarise yourself with these and lookup your university system. It doesn’t matter too much as long as you get a 2.1 or higher. Not getting a 2.1 presents a bigger issue.
So to get a 2.1 you have to consistently get A’s and B’s throughout the course?

Thank you so much for this though. It's weird as my friends who are from the UK don't know about it either😬 but I appreciate that you've enlightened me. I have looked on my university website on this. It is a bit confusing to understand as it talks about the credits but I will get clarity on this
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So to get a 2.1 you have to consistently get A’s and B’s throughout the course?

Thank you so much for this though. It's weird as my friends who are from the UK don't know about it either😬 but I appreciate that you've enlightened me. I have looked on my university website on this. It is a bit confusing to understand as it talks about the credits but I will get clarity on this
You need to lookup your universities criteria, traditionally its over 60%. Most UK unis don’t use letter grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%