The Student Room Group

A level biology help

Can anyone help me with this question!! Its due today ahhh

The student found that the coloured liquid moved 1.5 cm in 24 hours. The diameter of the lumen (hole) of the capillary tubing was 1 mm.
The volume of a capillary tubing is given by πr2l, where π is 3.14 and l = length.
Calculate the volume of gas produced in cm3 hour–1.
Show your working.
Original post by lucyrigbyx

The student found that the coloured liquid moved 1.5 cm in 24 hours. The diameter of the lumen (hole) of the capillary tubing was 1 mm.
The volume of a capillary tubing is given by πr2l, where π is 3.14 and l = length.
Show your working.

So in 1 hour it moves 1.5/24 cm which is the length. 1mm equals 0.1cm so that is the diameter. Use the diameter to get the radius. Then plug all of this into the formula to get the volume of gas produced i think :smile:
Original post by lucyrigbyx

Show your working.

You have to work out the volume using the formula. So you have the diameter, you can find the radius by dividing by 2. You also get given the length in the question (1.5) so you plug it into the equation and you should get a solution
1.5cm in 24 hr0.0625 in 1 hrV = Pir^2lPi x (0.5)^2 x 0.0625 = 0.0491cm^3/hour

Quick Reply