username54
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys in September, i will be starting my a levels. I just finished my application and it’s been sent in. What will year 12 be like? I’ve chosen btec media , a level business and sociology. Any advice would be really helpful thanks
Cheesecake04
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A levels are basically GCSEs but with slightly different content and ways of approaching the exam questions. It is less about telling the story or giving random facts but more about analysing that information. For business I would recommend making flash cards as you go and follow the text book as you cover the content and for sociology do the same as well as making flashcards on different topics and key terms. Also, get in the habit or revising straight away !

I hope that helps.
Last edited by Cheesecake04; 1 month ago
username54
Rep:
?
Thank you that’s helpful
(Original post by Cheesecake04)
A levels are basically GCSEs but with slightly different content and ways of approaching the exam questions. It is less about telling the story or giving random facts but more about analysing that information. For business I would recommend making flash cards as you go and follow the text book as you cover the content and for sociology do the same as well as making flashcards on different topics and key terms. Also, get in the habit or revising straight away !

I hope that helps.
Cheesecake04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any more questions feel free to ask.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username54)
Hi guys in September, i will be starting my a levels. I just finished my application and it’s been sent in. What will year 12 be like? I’ve chosen btec media , a level business and sociology. Any advice would be really helpful thanks
It's a bit more grown up than main school as there's less of you and the people there are usually people who want to be there. So there's less trouble makers and messing around in lessons.
The subjects seem more in depth as well.
I personally did sociology and loved it.
Studentystudent!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depending what you pick it’s a lot harder and more in depth. I think you chose pretty easy subjects though so it will be more like GCSE than other subjects, which are more of a step up. The people at my school that did business finished all of the content in a year.
username54
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
It's a bit more grown up than main school as there's less of you and the people there are usually people who want to be there. So there's less trouble makers and messing around in lessons.
The subjects seem more in depth as well.
I personally did sociology and loved it.
Whats sociology like?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whats sociology like?
Did you do it at GCSE?
Basically we did various topics such as education, family, crime etc etc. Some topics were ones we had done at GCSE, and some were different topics that we hadn't done before.
The topics were in more detail than GCSE.
I loved it and found it was very interesting. It was my easiest subject at A-level.
username54
Rep:
?
Did you do it at GCSE?
Basically we did various topics such as education, family, crime etc etc. Some topics were ones we had done at GCSE, and some were different topics that we hadn't done before.
The topics were in more detail than GCSE.
I loved it and found it was very interesting. It was my easiest subject at A-level.
Nope this is something very new to me. It sounds really interesting.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope this is something very new to me. It sounds really interesting.
It's great. I highly recommend it.
I found it was my easiest subject as well.
username54
Rep:
?
It's great. I highly recommend it.
I found it was my easiest subject as well.
Thanks, what degree did you do in uni
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, what degree did you do in uni
I didn't go on to uni.
I had thought about doing teaching but decided I didn't want to go to uni. So after I went to college to do a diploma in childcare and education.
username54
Rep:
?
I didn't go on to uni.
I had thought about doing teaching but decided I didn't want to go to uni. So after I went to college to do a diploma in childcare and education.
Ohhh that's good, good luck on your future endeavours
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ohhh that's good, good luck on your future endeavours
I don't actually work with kids any more though. I deal with lorry drivers now.
username54
Rep:
?
I don't actually work with kids any more though. I deal with lorry drivers now.
what job is that😯🤣
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said, it’s kinda an extension of gcses, I found that the teachers do expect you to put in a bit more work outside of lessons, and won’t chase you for late homework etc. as much as they may have done at gcse so there is a definite feeling of independence
username54
Rep:
?
That’s good. What supplies will i need?
(Original post by laurawatt)
As others have said, it’s kinda an extension of gcses, I found that the teachers do expect you to put in a bit more work outside of lessons, and won’t chase you for late homework etc. as much as they may have done at gcse so there is a definite feeling of independence
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what job is that😯🤣
I work for a well known biscuit company (I'll let you guess which one). I don't work at one of the factories, i work at the distribution centre. The biscuits/crackers etc come in from the factories and we deliver the stuff to all the customers (e.g. Tesco, Sainsbury, the other supermarkets, bookers and bestway who distribute stuff out to the smaller corner shops etc. We also have export loads as well). I work in the warehouse. I can usually be found in the despatch office giving drivers their loads/delivery notes, getting drivers on bays to be loaded or tipped, giving them empty trailers when they bring a loaded one in from one of the factories etc. I deal with our own drivers as well as the hauler drivers that we deal with.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s good. What supplies will i need?
Notebooks, ring binder folders, all the usual stationery etc.
Jess.zdan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heyyy a level sociology is lots of essay writing and pretty content heavy but it’s pretty interesting so just make sure you keep up with your revision, and make lots of notes and keep your notes nice and organised it helps a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads