The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Theology Pre-Reading

Heya, I've been offered a place for theology at Durham, and I was wondering if anyone knew any pre-reading that would help me to prepare? I can't find any lists on their website lol
Original post by Andie.x
Heya, I've been offered a place for theology at Durham, and I was wondering if anyone knew any pre-reading that would help me to prepare? I can't find any lists on their website lol

Hi there, I'm a current 1st yr Theologian at Durham so might be able to help. We got sent reading lists in summer quite late but they're not extensive nor compulsory (I read only one, a popular level book called Al-Britannia, My country for the Islam module), the books will give some background to what you're doing but as the modules ary in content one book isn't enough to cover them all. Continue to read Theology books that you find interesting. An books offering a sort of 'Introduction to________' are immensley helpful. The wider the base of the knowledge you have going into the course, the easier it will be.

Having said that, if you plan to do a language, buy the text (Jeremy Duff's Elements of NT Greek for me) and get learning! The courses are fast paced and if you begin to teach it to yourself, it is easier when properly learning in lectures.
Similarly, having a good grasp of the Bible is important for the Bib Studies module, read it if you're not already but familiarise yourself with the chronology, characters and outlines etc.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest