No clue what I'm doing with my life

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im 18, have a job in a supermarket and have about £7000 saved up. I didn't go to uni because I have no clue what I want to do with my life and I saw it as a waste of time unless you knew what degree you needed. I wasn't prepared to waste time money and energy so I decided to get a job and save up. - still don't want to go

I have no hobbies or passions, i'm not good at anything at all eg drawing, maths, decorating or anything. I want to go traveling and luckily met a friend in work to go with but COVID happened and now I don't know if im ever gonna be able to go traveling. I don't want to leave it too late because then I need to get a house and a proper job if that makes sense.

I have no clue what "proper job' I'm gonna get. Theres no hobbies or passion that I can pursue that could develop into a source of income. I feel completely lost, I have no sense of direction, life is scary.

If there's anyone feeling like this or any wise old elves out there please can I get some advice because I'm feeling pretty poo at the moment.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't want to leave it too late because then I need to get a house and a proper job if that makes sense.
What is it with the British obsession with owning a house? You have the rest of your life to own a house but you are only young once and you are in your prime right now. Covid isn't forever. If the restrictions go down this summer, seize your moment and go for it. Travelling will give you a perspective and perhaps a focus. Don't worry about what you will do when you get back. Just live for the moment at a time in your life where you don't have dependents or commitments.

However, my one tip for life in general is lifelong learning. Whether that is going to uni when you have decided what you want to do, or simply learning cabinet making because why not - spend your spare time learning and making yourself better. Just whatever you do, don't stop learning.

Good luck!
ziggy03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey dude, this is my personal opinion so feel free to completely disregard it, it sounds like you've just gotten used to the idea of being told you have to have a career and a good job and a house after hearing it for so many years. Trust me, you don't need to live life like that to make yourself happy. Furthermore, it's not right to put pressure on yourself as an 18 year old to know what to do now. There are so many opportunities to find out what you like and what you're good at. The life you know is just the tip of the iceberg. Travelling sounds like a good idea and maybe that's where you'll find your passion. There's no obligation to get a job after the summer, there's still so much time to travel. Maybe just continue to save until you can go and then go ! Word is your oyster.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise