AnxiousNobody
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Was wondering who is interested in going to Queen Mary university in September. I've applied there and received a conditional offer and was thinking of maybe having it as my firm choice. Anyone else thinking of going there?? And what are you going to study?
I've heard mixed opinions about it.
User7006
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi! I'm going to study English next year and have applied to go to Queen Mary's in September, although I am not sure which uni offer I will have as my firm yet because not every uni has gotten back to me. I chose to apply to Queen Mary's because the course offered a lot of flexibility, there was an opportunity to spend a year abroad and most importantly, the staff seemed really genuine and caring.

What are you going to study, and what made you choose Queen Mary's?
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
Wow the staff sound great. I'm going to study Psychology with a year abroad, and also chose it because of the oppurtunity to spend some time abroad and the course sounded really interesting. But I've never actually visited the place because of covid so I'm not sure if the atmosphere will appeal to me.
But we'll hope for the best! Did you have an interview for English?
srb.xx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AnxiousNobody)
Wow the staff sound great. I'm going to study Psychology with a year abroad, and also chose it because of the oppurtunity to spend some time abroad and the course sounded really interesting. But I've never actually visited the place because of covid so I'm not sure if the atmosphere will appeal to me.
Heyy, I’m looking to study Psychology at QMUL too & I chose it because it’s a campus uni but still in London, so you essentially get the best of both worlds. I applied for a work placement & they have good links, being in London & near multiple big hospitals. It’s a Russell Group & a London uni so it’s part of the Universities of London Union so we can collaborate with the other London unis & can use their libraries etc etc. It’s also quite diverse from what I hear and made up of mostly state school people - being mixed race from a state school, this means a lot to me because it kinda prepares you for what sort of people you’ll meet. & the fact that I can study a language on top of my degree for free sold me because I would really like to learn Arabic xx
Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by srb.xx)
Heyy, I’m looking to study Psychology at QMUL too & I chose it because it’s a campus uni but still in London, so you essentially get the best of both worlds. I applied for a work placement & they have good links, being in London & near multiple big hospitals. It’s a Russell Group & a London uni so it’s part of the Universities of London Union so we can collaborate with the other London unis & can use their libraries etc etc. It’s also quite diverse from what I hear and made up of mostly state school people - being mixed race from a state school, this means a lot to me because it kinda prepares you for what sort of people you’ll meet. & the fact that I can study a language on top of my degree for free sold me because I would really like to learn Arabic xx
Was wondering who is interested in going to Queen Mary university in September. I've applied there and received a conditional offer and was thinking of maybe having it as my firm choice. Anyone else thinking of going there?? And what are you going to study?
Hey everyone,

Yes - I totally agree with srb.xx! The fact QMUL is a campus university and the only campus-based university in London really does make it the best of both worlds! Queen Mary is extremely well-ranked academically, full of opportunity, and incredibly committed to diversity and social justice!

Ranked 114th by the world and among the top 20 unis in the UK by the QS University rankings, as well as being ranked 100th in the world and 13th in the UK by The Times, I can definitely say QMUL has an amazing academic reputation as a well-know and respected Russel Group!

Beyond that, and, In my view, even more importantly, the university is full of opportunity, with loads of different societies, sports, student media outlets, volunteer groups, and extracurriculars to choose from! I can definitely say that QMUL students are incredibly involved and proactive, making campus a friendly and vibrant place! The campus is also full of life - and we even have a canal that runs through it!

Finally, one of my favourite things about QMUL is its commitment to diversity and social justice. Queen Mary was the first university in the UK to pay the living wage! Additionally, the Times Good University Guide us the most inclusive Russel Group university since over 90 percent of students here are from state schools, 69 percent are BAME, and 57 percent are the first in their families into higher education! The university is also super big on community engagement through initiatives such as our award-winning Legal Advice Centre that offers legal advice to people in surrounding community! This diversity of the school and having a true sense of commitment to its community were key aspects of QMUL's character that ultimately led me to choose it!

All in all, the super diverse range of backgrounds that students at QM come from make learning, meeting new people, and getting involved incredibly exciting!

Hope you find this insight useful! And good luck with everything!

Matthew
QMUL Student Ambassador and TSR Representative
Last edited by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors; 7 months ago
User7006
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah they just seem like really lovely people- so that was a really big selling point for me . I have not visited the uni either, which I think might be one of the harder parts of the whole online open days because you can't really gauge the ~energy~ but exactly, we'll hope for the best!! I have had my interview for English back in December. Ooh I really want to do the year abroad too- any location you want to go to specifically?
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
(Original post by User7006)
Yeah they just seem like really lovely people- so that was a really big selling point for me . I have not visited the uni either, which I think might be one of the harder parts of the whole online open days because you can't really gauge the ~energy~ but exactly, we'll hope for the best!! I have had my interview for English back in December. Ooh I really want to do the year abroad too- any location you want to go to specifically?
Maybe Japan or Australia. What about you?
LC 79
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I got an offer from queen but I’m stuck on picking as I got another 3 offers from other places. I picked politics and international relations. I think queen is good but the opinions on queen is so varied I’m not too sure. I wish there were actual open days to get to feel the vibe you know.
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi guys!

Im a current postgrad and previous undergrad at QM! I’m more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the uni, courses, societies, accommodation etc! And if I can’t answer them, I can direct you to someone who might know the answer!

Maryam
Last edited by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors; 7 months ago
EvaMaria0603
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have accepted a conditional offer from queen mary too to study Biomedical science with a foundation year in September and i'm really excited. I visited the campus for a taster day in the mathematics department and I instantly fell in love. The campus was beautiful and the students and lecturers we met were so nice. Its in a great location and very near my house so I don't have to go into accommodation which is great for me.
EvaMaria0603
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors)
Hi guys!

Im a current postgrad and previous undergrad at QM! I’m more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the uni, courses, societies, accommodation etc! And if I can’t answer them, I can direct you to someone who might know the answer!

Maryam
Hi could you direct me to someone who did my course as I have a whole bunch of questions about it, I'm going to study biomedical science with a foundation year.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Hi guys!

Maryam
Hey!
Is applying for accommodation first come first serve? And what is the best accommodation in Mile End in terms of being most social etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys!

Maryam
Hi! I have firmed my choice for QMUL as a conditional offer. I missed it by little and I'm still waiting for the uni's reply. Do you have any cases in which an applicant did not meet his/her conditions but still got in? If you need more details, please tell me!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I have firmed my choice for QMUL as a conditional offer. I missed it by little and I'm still waiting for the uni's reply. Do you have any cases in which an applicant did not meet his/her conditions but still got in? If you need more details, please tell me!
Hi!

It depends on the course but it might be possible. I would recommend you contact the admissions team. You can find their contact details at https://www.qmul.ac.uk/contact/.

Best wishes,
Amaya.
Nora.agoun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys!

Maryam
Hey! What did you study? What are graduate opportunities as I think about Msc Corporate Finance and similiar programmes.

Best,
Nora
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (28)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.95%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
26.74%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
19.19%

Watched Threads