Is this a good combination of subjects for A levels?

Watch
Me_Mayo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to do maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry at A level - I'm hoping to study physics at uni. Would this be a good combination? I'm predicted a 9 in maths, physics, and chemistry at GCSE.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Me_Mayo)
I want to do maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry at A level - I'm hoping to study physics at uni. Would this be a good combination? I'm predicted a 9 in maths, physics, and chemistry at GCSE.
If you enjoy them, yes.
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
If you enjoy them, yes.
I absolutely love them all - I was just worried that people seemed to say that the workload would be too intense...
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I absolutely love them all - I was just worried that people seemed to say that the workload would be too intense...
It'll be fine. I only recommend four if you're doing Maths and FM, as you are.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Those sound good to me
ApplePiePanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my sixth form, I know quite a few people doing that combination. And it seems like a good combination anyways
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It'll be fine. I only recommend four if you're doing Maths and FM, as you are.
Thank you! Our school tells everyone to choose four, but most people drop down to three at the end of year 12
Alif91
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yep, that is a really good combo. i do these subjects as well and i am applying for physics. they are good facilitating subjects and if u can, keep all 4 in year 13, as it could be advantageous when applying to top unis.
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Those sound good to me
Thank you!
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ApplePiePanda)
In my sixth form, I know quite a few people doing that combination. And it seems like a good combination anyways
Thank you for your advice
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alif91)
yep, that is a really good combo. i do these subjects as well and i am applying for physics. they are good facilitating subjects and if u can, keep all 4 in year 13, as it could be advantageous when applying to top unis.
Thank you so much! I hope you get into the uni of your dreams
Alif91
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! I hope you get into the uni of your dreams
thank you lots! and you too, good luck with ur gcses and a levels!
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alif91)
thank you lots! and you too, good luck with ur gcses and a levels!
Thank you!
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Screw everyone else! Do what you love
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Screw everyone else! Do what you love
Okay, thank you!
Thank you all for your advice and support
lozzie4476
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is EXACTLY what I'm doing for A level. I'm in year 13 and got 9s in maths, physics and chemistry at GCSE. Workload is certainly higher than for other combinations but the mechanics side of maths (and further maths if your school does the mechanics sections) really overlaps with physics which reduces it a bit. There's also a small overlap with phys and chem. Highly recommended, I've applied to do maths and physics at uni.
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by lozzie4476)
That is EXACTLY what I'm doing for A level. I'm in year 13 and got 9s in maths, physics and chemistry at GCSE. Workload is certainly higher than for other combinations but the mechanics side of maths (and further maths if your school does the mechanics sections) really overlaps with physics which reduces it a bit. There's also a small overlap with phys and chem. Highly recommended, I've applied to do maths and physics at uni.
Thank you for the insight! Good luck with your uni applications
yk280
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a good combination - lots of synthesis. I'd say it also depends on how you like revising/working as well - it's good if you like revising through practise questions vs just going over loads of content *cough* biology *cough*.
Me_Mayo
Rep:
?
(Original post by yk280)
It's a good combination - lots of synthesis. I'd say it also depends on how you like revising/working as well - it's good if you like revising through practise questions vs just going over loads of content *cough* biology *cough*.
I'm glad to hear that there's some overlap between them all I definitely prefer working through loads of questions to revising massive chunks of content... What subjects do you study/have you studied, if you don't mind me asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.15%
No (233)
48.85%

Watched Threads