Biological Sciences at Oxford and Medicine - Grades and Personal Statement

Watch
Liamrrobo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there - I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m currently in year 12 and interesting in applying to Oxford for Biological Sciences, as well as Medicine (at other universities obviously). I achieved the following GCSEs:

English Literature - 9, English Language - 9, Religious Studies - 9, History - 9, Biology - 9, Physics - 9, Chemistry - 8, Business Studies - 8 and Maths - 6.

Would my grade 6 in maths be a huge disadvantage for me applying to Oxford for bio? Additionally, I’m taking Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (Predicted A*A*A). Would there be any way of balancing a P.S. between Biological Sciences and Medicine? I’m genuinely interested in both and I can really see myself at Oxford for the course.

Any input would be very much appreciated! I don’t want to seem ignorant with the prospect of applying to Oxford for Biological Sciences as well as 4 other universities for med but it’s just an option I’d love to explore.

Thanks!
Last edited by Liamrrobo; 1 month ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The single 6 will not be a problem.

The bigger problem is that you are talking about two completely different options - one a 3 year science degree, the other a lifelong career as a doctor, and you're basically intending to leave it up to chance which route you got down? Depending on where you get in? Do you really think that's a great idea?

If you're really not sure I'd suggest deciding before jumping in. A year at this stage is nothing at all in the grand scheme of things. You do have the option of graduate entry medicine, but its more competitive, longer, harder and more expensive, so not at all ideal.
Liamrrobo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
The single 6 will not be a problem.

The bigger problem is that you are talking about two completely different options - one a 3 year science degree, the other a lifelong career as a doctor, and you're basically intending to leave it up to chance which route you got down? Depending on where you get in? Do you really think that's a great idea?

If you're really not sure I'd suggest deciding before jumping in. A year at this stage is nothing at all in the grand scheme of things. You do have the option of graduate entry medicine, but its more competitive, longer, harder and more expensive, so not at all ideal.
I completely agree. I think I was more leaning towards doing biological sciences at university first and then pursuing medicine but this is both more expensive, longer and more difficult as you say. Thank you for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.23%
Live streaming events (52)
7.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.05%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.47%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.47%