Ongoing Kidney Problems Since 7 Years Old With Still No Answer?

Watch
MarimbaKarimba
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

Around the age of 7 I started getting kidney pains when needing to urinate. My parents took me to the doctors and they passed it off as a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. Everything was fine for a while till a year or so later when I was having the same problem again on and off. I ignored it for a few years as it wasn't occurring too regularly (Once or twice a month) until they pain started getting worse each time.

Around the age of 14 or 15 I saw my GP about it again. They referred me to have an ultrasound at the hospital as they suspected it was Kidney Stones. I wasn't able to hold fluid in a full bladder as it caused the kidney pain before my ultrasound so they were not able to carry the scan out as they wanted, they however did not find any kidney stones. I was then discharged from their care.

The pain can get so severe that I can't move. I end up stuck on the toilet until it the pain fades enough for me to be able to stand up. (Sorry for being graphic) I think a key part of it is that the urine will trickle in small bursts when I have this pain, I'm not able to fully urinate straight away.

In 2019 I was referred by my GP again to the hospital. They performed another ultrasound and found nothing wrong, so they then tried performing a Flexoscopy to check if the valves between my kindeys and bladder may be broken, causing urine to flow back into the kidneys and make them swell which is what could cause the pain. Again, they found nothing wrong and discharged me with a repeat prescription of Buscopan which I'm unsure of whether it works if I take it when I have pain.

I'm not sure what to do about this problem anymore or if anyone else experiences this issue or anything similar? I'm quite tired of being in that amount of pain and not knowing what's wrong with me. I'm nearly 20 years old and have no idea what it could be.
Last edited by MarimbaKarimba; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MarimbaKarimba)
Hi,

Around the age of 7 I started getting kidney pains when needing to urinate. My parents took me to the doctors and they passed it off as a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. Everything was fine for a while till a year or so later when I was having the same problem again on and off. I ignored it for a few years as it wasn't occurring too regularly (Once or twice a month) until they pain started getting worse each time.

Around the age of 14 or 15 I saw my GP about it again. They referred me to have an ultrasound at the hospital as they suspected it was Kidney Stones. I wasn't able to hold fluid in a full bladder as it caused the kidney pain before my ultrasound so they were not able to carry the scan out as they wanted, they however did not find any kidney stones. I was then discharged from their care.

The pain can get so severe that I can't move. I end up stuck on the toilet until it the pain fades enough for me to be able to stand up. (Sorry for being graphic) I think a key part of it is that the urine will trickle in small bursts when I have this pain, I'm not able to fully urinate straight away.

In 2019 I was referred by my GP again to the hospital. They performed another ultrasound and found nothing wrong, so they then tried performing a Flexoscopy to check if the valves between my kindeys and bladder may be broken, causing urine to flow back into the kidneys and make them swell which is what could cause the pain. Again, they found nothing wrong and discharged me with a repeat prescription of Buscopan which I'm unsure of whether it works if I take it when I have pain.

I'm not sure what to do about this problem anymore or if anyone else experiences this issue or anything similar? I'm quite tired of being in that amount of pain and not knowing what's wrong with me. I'm nearly 20 years old and have no idea what it could be.
I have the same problems- I have no answer from any doctors. It’s so hard at times and I feel like no one understands so I’m glad there is one person at least who I can relate too. 🥺💛
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
I'm not sure that TSR is the place to ask for a diagnosis when multiple doctors haven't found what's wrong. If this is an ongoing issue for you, you need to go back to your GP.
MarimbaKarimba
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by black tea)
I'm not sure that TSR is the place to ask for a diagnosis when multiple doctors haven't found what's wrong. If this is an ongoing issue for you, you need to go back to your GP.
I was just mainly curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I do intend on seeing my GP. Just feels very isolating not knowing what it is
Molly Anne
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You should see a neurologist to check if there is a nerve firing wrong or even not firing, which could cause a disruption in bladder function. Even Multiple sclerosis or pudendal nerve damage could cause these symptoms. If you were producing crystals which lead to stones, drinking lemon water first thing I. The morning, and aim talking a whole lemon sliced and squeezed into a glass with water, helps very much-every day, as a preventative as well as treatment. Good luck and hang in there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
12%
Okay (7)
28%
A bit lacking (7)
28%
Not good at all (8)
32%

Watched Threads