How far can you drive in lockdown?

Watch
Benjamin912
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Have 10 days off work now and want to get driving out of the city to some parks (can't really do much more lol). How far would I be able to drive in lockdown? It says stay local as possible but doesn't really say how far local is lol. I will be alone at all times.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes you can OP, don't be scared.

Yes, you can drive to an outdoor place for exercise, as long as you follow social distancing rules. But how far you can drive depends on where you live. Check the restrictions for your area.

You're advised not to leave your house for any reason other than:

To exercise or spend time outside
To go to work
To visit the shops that are open
To take care of a vulnerable person, or for an essential journey.
Day trips are allowed, within your region. Whether you can travel out of your region depends on the local rules in your area. You aren't allowed to stay with friends or family outside your household or bubble overnight.

Source: https://www.theaa.com/about-us/coron...n-lockdown-now
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
Is this accurate information, or an assumption?
I'll amend my post, I've misinterpreted the OP.

Here are the Welsh Gov restrictions which are very similar to England's restrictions: https://gov.wales/alert-level-4-freq...#section-58322

May help interpret stuff better.

It's common sense to know how far is too far.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 1 month ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Benjamin912)
Have 10 days off work now and want to get driving out of the city to some parks (can't really do much more lol). How far would I be able to drive in lockdown? It says stay local as possible but doesn't really say how far local is lol. I will be alone at all times.
As close to home as is possible.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depending how you look at it the answer is either;

"Not as far as you'd like" or "Don't ask strangers"
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As far as is "reasonable".
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Benjamin912)
The Government website says "you should not travel outside your local area" for exercise and "If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live". So no, you shouldn't be driving to parks outside your city.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
As close to home as is possible.
I agree.
I thought you weren't allowed to go that far. But I may be wrong.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The problem is that the police who stop you are going to be the ones who determine what is ‘local’ and ‘reasonable’.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
The problem is that the police who stop you are going to be the ones who determine what is ‘local’ and ‘reasonable’.
The police shouldn't be applying "local" only what is "reasonable".
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The police shouldn't be applying "local" only what is "reasonable".
When Boris went on his little bike jaunt the emphasis was very much on whether this was local or not. I haven’t got a clue what the wording in the legislation is, but neither local nor reasonable are specific finite terms, so there is always going to be an element of interpretation, (either police or courts).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

“Government advice for England says you can leave your home to exercise, but adds: "This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area."

The guidance adds: "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."”
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
When Boris went on his little bike jaunt the emphasis was very much on whether this was local or not. I haven’t got a clue what the wording in the legislation is, but neither local nor reasonable are specific finite terms, so there is always going to be an element of interpretation, (either police or courts).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

“Government advice for England says you can leave your home to exercise, but adds: "This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area."

The guidance adds: "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."”
Local is not mentioned in the legislation therefore it cannot be enforced.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...374/2021-01-20

Government advice is exactly that, advice.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Unless the legislation states “7 miles from your home” it can’t be enforced without interpretation in any case.

None of which really helps the OP. I suppose the answer to their question is “as far as you’d feel comfortable justifying if you were stopped”.
LTEcactus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The English legislation doesn't say anything about a distance.
So you can drive anywhere as long as it's reasonable (ie not to the Lake District or Cornwall if you live in London for example), and you're leaving home to shop, exercise or to view a house etc.
Benjamin912
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Today I drove 4 miles to a park in my city. I think that's as far as I will drive.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It says you commit an offence if you break a restriction and there are restrictions on the reasons for leaving home and how far you can travel.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
It says you commit an offence if you break a restriction and there are restrictions on the reasons for leaving home and how far you can travel.
There is no hard limit in the law, it becomes what is reasonable.
LeeleeTSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that if you're going in a car to go somewhere to exercise, then it's not local. Local is usually within walking distance (with the exception of for shopping if you need to buy more than you can carry).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads