Bluebird121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am here to give you tips, link your A levels in a way that links to a certain aspect for Architecture.
I did Art, Physics, English Literature and Computer Science. I got 4 A* after I got 2C's and 2D's in the same subjects the year prior. I go to Westminster since they have a double degree of Environmental Design and Architecture. I went to UCL got an offer for Architecture and and went to cambridge got barely managed to get an offer since they wanted 4* and got them after have several sleepless nights. I am planning to do my masters at Cambridge.
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bluebird121)
I am here to give you tips, link your A levels in a way that links to a certain aspect for Architecture.
I did Art, Physics, English Literature and Computer Science. I got 4 A* after I got 2C's and 2D's in the same subjects the year prior. I go to Westminster since they have a double degree of Environmental Design and Architecture. I went to UCL got an offer for Architecture and and went to cambridge got barely managed to get an offer since they wanted 4* and got them after have several sleepless nights. I am planning to do my masters at Cambridge.
Hi, I'm a year 12 student wanting to study Architecture at either Bath, UCL or Cambridge. I have some questions about the process of this:
1) Were you predicted 4 A*s when applying in September-December time for Uni applications ?
2) How was your personal statement? Was it heavily focused on work experience/ activities linking to Architecture ?
3) How did you get into Cambridge ? what was the application process? Did you have to submit essays as part of your application?
4) Any tips for getting A*s in Physics and Art ?
5) Did Uni's ask you about the choice of Art and Physics ? I'm asking because very few people take these subjects together, I take Art, Physics and Psychology
6) Which college at Cambridge did you get an offer from ?
7) If you had the opportunity would you have done your degree at Cambridge as well as Masters?
8) How is the environment at UCL ? Did you enjoy it ?
9) Was your portfolio mainly Architectural drawings or more Art based e.g. your A Level theme at the time ?

Hi, sorry for asking so many questions but you are one of the few people who have very similar subjects, course and Uni choices hence I have so many questions . It would be highly appreciated if you could answer as many questions as possible. Thank you !
Bluebird121
Rep:
?
(Original post by IDK.345)
Hi, I'm a year 12 student wanting to study Architecture at either Bath, UCL or Cambridge. I have some questions about the process of this:
1) Were you predicted 4 A*s when applying in September-December time for Uni applications ?
2) How was your personal statement? Was it heavily focused on work experience/ activities linking to Architecture ?
3) How did you get into Cambridge ? what was the application process? Did you have to submit essays as part of your application?
4) Any tips for getting A*s in Physics and Art ?
5) Did Uni's ask you about the choice of Art and Physics ? I'm asking because very few people take these subjects together, I take Art, Physics and Psychology
6) Which college at Cambridge did you get an offer from ?
7) If you had the opportunity would you have done your degree at Cambridge as well as Masters?
8) How is the environment at UCL ? Did you enjoy it ?
9) Was your portfolio mainly Architectural drawings or more Art based e.g. your A Level theme at the time ?

Hi, sorry for asking so many questions but you are one of the few people who have very similar subjects, course and Uni choices hence I have so many questions . It would be highly appreciated if you could answer as many questions as possible. Thank you !
1) I was predicted 4 A* stars at time since, I had thorough knowledge of each of the subjects. 2) My personal statement was based on my A levels such as: Art tends to focus on the aesthetic nature of Architecture. Physics tends to focus on structural loads, how different forces may act on the structure and the motions that may affect it. etc. Always link the alevels to the course and explain your passion. Work appearance may help if its relevant to your subject, therefore apply it to personal statement if it supports linking key subjects to Architecture. 4) Cambridge is quite similar to all architecture courses.

(Portfolio)
However, they have a brief discussion of your work and you will have to explain, why you have drawn your work in a certain way and how you have gotten inspiration for that certain piece of work. Always link it to their question and the course research it.

4) I have no idea how I managed to pass physics, I watches several documentaries. However my passion in that subject was Astrophysics. In additon I mainly revised around the exam content. However, since I was alot more creative at the time I fused both my Astrophysics and Art and first it was the typical art with no sense of realism. I was obsessed with Archtiectural Art and Architecture, which inturn made scaled physicals models of skyscrapers. As the design just a quick sketch, then check the measurements, materials, then see how the gravity affected the building, how dense it was, the air resistance, the structural tenacity of the building to see how long the half life of the materials in the bulding will last. The artistic inspiration. However, since I involved to much Physics I just showed my physics teacher the realistic side of my work. The artistic interpretation to my art teacher. Then told both of them combined my work they were impressed but surprised.

5} They did since Physics is a very realistic subject and Art contrasts that reality and tends to focuse on the artistic interpretation or imagination of that artist.

6) Trinity, which is odd since the interview was at Keyble.

7) However, I know I could get in easier since I understand how the professors talk, the process and what they want. Yes most likely

8)Well I go to westminster since they have an imoroved double degree, UCL was fun, bit the interview process was very tense. I had a scary old woman, she said she had high expectations and there was so many tasks round 1, 2 and 3. Why is it a competition? Westminster seems a bit odd since they comoetition was high thry expected AAA for Architecture and AAAB for Environmentak Archtiecture. The amount of people were 155 for 22 spots yikes. Similar to UCL but on a much larger scale.

9) Physics was the dominant theme at the Time and then in Year 13 both were fused as one mega project. English Literature was used as the cultural aspect for my projects and CS was used for the digital programming which is pretty inrelevant but alot of fun. Mainly, my Art was accompanied with complicated diagrams filled with geigraphical and physical aspects. So there was alot to see.
IDK.345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) I was predicted 4 A* stars at time since, I had thorough knowledge of each of the subjects. 2) My personal statement was based on my A levels such as: Art tends to focus on the aesthetic nature of Architecture. Physics tends to focus on structural loads, how different forces may act on the structure and the motions that may affect it. etc. Always link the alevels to the course and explain your passion. Work appearance may help if its relevant to your subject, therefore apply it to personal statement if it supports linking key subjects to Architecture. 4) Cambridge is quite similar to all architecture courses.

(Portfolio)
However, they have a brief discussion of your work and you will have to explain, why you have drawn your work in a certain way and how you have gotten inspiration for that certain piece of work. Always link it to their question and the course research it.

4) I have no idea how I managed to pass physics, I watches several documentaries. However my passion in that subject was Astrophysics. In additon I mainly revised around the exam content. However, since I was alot more creative at the time I fused both my Astrophysics and Art and first it was the typical art with no sense of realism. I was obsessed with Archtiectural Art and Architecture, which inturn made scaled physicals models of skyscrapers. As the design just a quick sketch, then check the measurements, materials, then see how the gravity affected the building, how dense it was, the air resistance, the structural tenacity of the building to see how long the half life of the materials in the bulding will last. The artistic inspiration. However, since I involved to much Physics I just showed my physics teacher the realistic side of my work. The artistic interpretation to my art teacher. Then told both of them combined my work they were impressed but surprised.

5} They did since Physics is a very realistic subject and Art contrasts that reality and tends to focuse on the artistic interpretation or imagination of that artist.

6) Trinity, which is odd since the interview was at Keyble.

7) However, I know I could get in easier since I understand how the professors talk, the process and what they want. Yes most likely

8)Well I go to westminster since they have an imoroved double degree, UCL was fun, bit the interview process was very tense. I had a scary old woman, she said she had high expectations and there was so many tasks round 1, 2 and 3. Why is it a competition? Westminster seems a bit odd since they comoetition was high thry expected AAA for Architecture and AAAB for Environmentak Archtiecture. The amount of people were 155 for 22 spots yikes. Similar to UCL but on a much larger scale.

9) Physics was the dominant theme at the Time and then in Year 13 both were fused as one mega project. English Literature was used as the cultural aspect for my projects and CS was used for the digital programming which is pretty inrelevant but alot of fun. Mainly, my Art was accompanied with complicated diagrams filled with geigraphical and physical aspects. So there was alot to see.
Thank you for your response !
what did you get at GCSE ? Did any Unis focus on your GCSEs heavily or just slightly more ?
Bluebird121
Rep:
?
Thank you for your response !
what did you get at GCSE ? Did any Unis focus on your GCSEs heavily or just slightly more ?
GCSE, was quite average 5 A's and 5 B's overall. English Literature and Language was an A and a B.
Art, Computer Science and Physics was an A and Maths was a B
IDK.345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GCSE, was quite average 5 A's and 5 B's overall. English Literature and Language was an A and a B.
Art, Computer Science and Physics was an A and Maths was a B
As you didn't get all 8s and 9s or 7s as some of the Uni require did any ask about your GCSE grades or did they focus more on your A Level grades
Bluebird121
Rep:
?
As you didn't get all 8s and 9s or 7s as some of the Uni require did any ask about your GCSE grades or did they focus more on your A Level grades
A levels since it was a massive jump from GCSEs and also question how I managed to get 4 A stars from below average grades
IDK.345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A levels since it was a massive jump from GCSEs and also question how I managed to get 4 A stars from below average grades
How were the admission tests for Cambridge ? Did you have to submit any essays prior or as part of your application ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads