How to teach myself Business Studies GCSE?

Watch
deskio
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Basically, I want to do business studies GCSE, bu it won't fit on my timetable, so I'd like to teach myself the course out of school, then take the exam at the end of y11. It would mean taking 11 GCSEs, but I am pretty sure I could handle it. My school uses AQA, so does anybody know reliable online AQA courses that I can enroll in? Would Seneca Learning be sufficient?
Or, even better, would I be able to teach myself from CGP/Collins textbooks?
Any students that have take business studies please give me you opinion on online course/teaching myself from the textbook
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I haven't done GCSE business studies, but I was studying it at one point with ICS Learn. It's a good course as far as I can tell, albiet a lot of material to cover.

I was already doing 10 GCSEs and completed one during Year 10 outside of regular school, and doing another one kind of defeated the point, especially when I was going to do an A Level in it.

If you're intent on doing it as an extra GCSE, expect to have no time to yourself during weekends, and to study like crazy. It will be tough, but if you perservere and have enough discipline, you should pull through.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I could be wrong but I think you might regret that decision. It’s hard to stay motivated without a class, but even besides that, you’re just piling pressure on for no apparent reason. If you do have an explanation feel free to share it, but I doubt taking this GCSE is essential for you to be successful. It just means you’ll have less time to dedicate to the others. Better to have higher grades and less of them.
Phantom14022
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am currently doing 11 GCSE's at school and I am in year 11, with Business as one of the subjects I study. Although I am doing the edexcel Board for Business, AQA and Edexcel topics are very similar for business so I am aware of what the AQA business GCSE is like. Business studies is probably the easiest GCSE I am doing, with the topics that can be easily and quickly learnt on BBC Bitesize by yourself (which is what i did, you can select the exam board also) - the only real problem is the essay writing in the exams. If you are able to write fast with meaning, I see no problem with adding business studies to your set of GCSEs, however business studies is of very little value from what I have observed - and does not grant much extra exclusivity to colleges (however the fact that you would be doing 11 GCSEs would impress colleges). If u are already crumbling/struggling with 10 GCSEs dont bother doing another as you will not have as much motivation from home learning as you would in class - but if you are doing alright with your current 10 GCSEs, business studies is a pretty easy GCSE to add on.
(also i see people saying expect to have no free time if u choose the extra GCSE, that is not true as there are only 2 units in business and if you are an overall grade 7-9 student you can expect to finish the curriculum in under 2 months by urself with plenty free time to spare)
Last edited by Phantom14022; 6 months ago
deskio
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Phantom14022)
I am currently doing 11 GCSE's at school and I am in year 11, with Business as one of the subjects I study. Although I am doing the edexcel Board for Business, AQA and Edexcel topics are very similar for business so I am aware of what the AQA business GCSE is like. Business studies is probably the easiest GCSE I am doing, with the topics that can be easily and quickly learnt on BBC Bitesize by yourself (which is what i did, you can select the exam board also) - the only real problem is the essay writing in the exams. If you are able to write fast with meaning, I see no problem with adding business studies to your set of GCSEs, however business studies is of very little value from what I have observed - and does not grant much extra exclusivity to colleges (however the fact that you would be doing 11 GCSEs would impress colleges). If u are already crumbling/struggling with 10 GCSEs dont bother doing another as you will not have as much motivation from home learning as you would in class - but if you are doing alright with your current 10 GCSEs, business studies is a pretty easy GCSE to add on.
(also i see people saying expect to have no free time if u choose the extra GCSE, that is not true as there are only 2 units in business and if you are an overall grade 7-9 student you can expect to finish the curriculum in under 2 months by urself with plenty free time to spare)
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm Year 9 and will potentially aim to do business studies in Year 10, as I already passed the maths GCSE. I'll give it ago and if I manage to hold onto my motivation, I'll take the exam! If not, I'll just learn for fun. Thanks for taking the time to answer, it was really valuable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads