bearinabath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I in the second term of a 2 year extended full time fine-art MA. Is there an option to change the course to a similar one at the same or different University? It might not be possible to transfer credit.
Is this at all possible with an MA loan?
Last edited by bearinabath; 4 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bearinabath)
I in the second term of a 2 year extended full time fine-art MA. Is there an option to change the course to a similar one at the same or different University? It might not be possible to transfer credit.
Is this at all possible with an MA loan?
Hi, it's not possible to transfer credits or start a new course, our guidance states:

All applicants must be undertaking a full stand alone master's course and not a partial master's course requiring a lesser number of credits as a result of undertaking a previous course. Therefore, they can't transfer credits from a previous course to their master's as this would count as Accredited Prior Learning (APL) and this would mean the course is no longer eligible for a PGM. They therefore must be enrolled on a full master's course to be eligible to receive the PGM.

You can transfer to a different course though, our guidance states:

Students can transfer between eligible postgraduate master's MA courses OR between eligible PHD courses and remain eligible for PGM/PGD as long as the student's previous course has not ended and they have not withdrawn from their course. This rule applies when the student either transfers:

to a different course at the same HE provider,
to a different course at a different HE provider; or
to the same course at a different HE provider

Thanks, Isaac
bearinabath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, it's not possible to transfer credits or start a new course, our guidance states:

All applicants must be undertaking a full stand alone master's course and not a partial master's course requiring a lesser number of credits as a result of undertaking a previous course. Therefore, they can't transfer credits from a previous course to their master's as this would count as Accredited Prior Learning (APL) and this would mean the course is no longer eligible for a PGM. They therefore must be enrolled on a full master's course to be eligible to receive the PGM.

You can transfer to a different course though, our guidance states:

Students can transfer between eligible postgraduate master's MA courses OR between eligible PHD courses and remain eligible for PGM/PGD as long as the student's previous course has not ended and they have not withdrawn from their course. This rule applies when the student either transfers:

to a different course at the same HE provider,
to a different course at a different HE provider; or
to the same course at a different HE provider

Thanks, Isaac

Great, thank you for answering.
Could you please clarify, what "transferring", means practically, and how does it differ from "changing a course"?

I am doing in the second term of the first year of a 2 year MA - would I need to "jump" into a similar stage on another course?
What if they require me to complete the terms I've missed?
I have 4, out of a total 6 terms left. What if the other course requires me to complete 6 terms of their course, or 3 (if its a one year course), will it interfere with my eligibility, or if I cannot "jump" in, but need to start again next academic year?

Second question: the reason why I am considering transferring is that I have pre-existing mental health condition, and the way the subject is taught is impacting it negatively. Would there be an exception because of that?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bearinabath)
Great, thank you for answering.
Could you please clarify, what "transferring", means practically, and how does it differ from "changing a course"?

I am doing in the second term of the first year of a 2 year MA - would I need to "jump" into a similar stage on another course?
What if they require me to complete the terms I've missed?
I have 4, out of a total 6 terms left. What if the other course requires me to complete 6 terms of their course, or 3 (if its a one year course), will it interfere with my eligibility, or if I cannot "jump" in, but need to start again next academic year?

Second question: the reason why I am considering transferring is that I have pre-existing mental health condition, and the way the subject is taught is impacting it negatively. Would there be an exception because of that?
Good morning,
Transferring would be if you are not starting a fresh brand new course. You would only be considered transferring if your university contacts us to confirm you are transferring courses.

If you wanted to start a new course from the beginning and receive funding again then that is only possible if you can provide Compelling Personal Reasons evidence http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (163)
44.05%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.35%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (77)
20.81%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.95%

Watched Threads