Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We all commit mistakes in our life. No one can learn about laws right from their mother's womb. We all know that plagiarism is an act of fraud.

The students in the UK are very fortunate. The UCAS already teaches and warns the students about plagiarism before taking admissions into the British universities. Hence, the students in the UK are aware that plagiarism is wrong, and they try not to do this fraudulent act during their academic coursework and thesis.

Many universities in this world (mostly, from developing countries) do not teach plagiarism to their students. I am currently in the UK, and some of my friends (from developing countries) are also studying in the UK. They are telling me that they have a fear of getting their degree revoked because they may have done some plagiarism during their previous degree course in their country. Ultimately, its the students who suffer, not the faculty members. I feel pity for those students who are from those countries where plagiarism is not taught or there is no anti-plagiarism policy.

How can I help my friends in protecting their degrees?

Can anyone also please tell me how old anti-plagiarism policy is in British universities?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We all commit mistakes in our life. No one can learn about laws right from their mother's womb. We all know that plagiarism is an act of fraud.

The students in the UK are very fortunate. The UCAS already teaches and warns the students about plagiarism before taking admissions into the British universities. Hence, the students in the UK are aware that plagiarism is wrong, and they try not to do this fraudulent act during their academic coursework and thesis.

Many universities in this world (mostly, from developing countries) do not teach plagiarism to their students. I am currently in the UK, and some of my friends (from developing countries) are also studying in the UK. They are telling me that they have a fear of getting their degree revoked because they may have done some plagiarism during their previous degree course in their country. Ultimately, its the students who suffer, not the faculty members. I feel pity for those students who are from those countries where plagiarism is not taught or there is no anti-plagiarism policy.

How can I help my friends in protecting their degrees?

Can anyone also please tell me how old anti-plagiarism policy is in British universities?
The only people who can revoke a degree are the awarding body, ie the university that gave you the degree. A UK university cannot revoke an overseas degree, they can only decide not to make offers to students from that university because the academic standards are not rigorous enough.

UK universities are very clear about the plagiarism rules and teach them and offer web-based information about the rules in the first fe weeks of term, so there is no excuse for not knowing them once you are in the UK.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The only people who can revoke a degree are the awarding body, ie the university that gave you the degree. A UK university cannot revoke an overseas degree, they can only decide not to make offers to students from that university because the academic standards are not rigorous enough.

UK universities are very clear about the plagiarism rules and teach them and offer web-based information about the rules in the first fe weeks of term, so there is no excuse for not knowing them once you are in the UK.
If a university doesn't have an anti-plagiarism policy and degree revoke policy, can they still revoke degree of those students who were found to have done plagiarism?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If a university doesn't have an anti-plagiarism policy and degree revoke policy, can they still revoke degree of those students who were found to have done plagiarism?
Every university in the U.K. has an anti-plagiarism policy.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Admit-One)
Every university in the U.K. has an anti-plagiarism policy.
Universities outside UK (especially, from developing countries)?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities outside UK (especially, from developing countries)?
They will have their own policies regarding plagiarism.

As threeportdrift states above, a U.K. Uni can’t revoke a degree awarded elsewhere.

To answer your original question, (how can you help your friends protect their degrees), you can’t. Those offences have already been committed and the Uni that awarded them will deal with them via their own policies if it comes to light.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (613)
49.2%
No (633)
50.8%

Watched Threads