The Student Room Group

applying for 2 completely different courses? (undergrad)

I want to apply to study an Accounting, Finance & Management course at York university and I have already applied to study medicine at 4 places. However, my personal statement is all about medicine. I exceed the entry requirements for the Accounting, Finance & Management course already but I am worried about the personal statement issue. Can I write another one? Or will it not matter?
I initially wanted to study Medicine but now exams have been cancelled I don't think I will be able to achieve the grades I need for Medicine. I have a fifth option that I haven't applied for yet, but I have to decide by the UCAS deadline. But I really enjoy maths and like the Finance careers too so I want to apply for the Accounting, Finance & Management course in my fifth option.
Quickly email relevant Unis and explain - and ask if they will consider your application, and if so, can you write a separate PS to send directly to them?

All Unis know that Medicine is only 4 choices so they are used to this situation. Most people will use the 5th choice for a Biomed/Biochem course but other subjects are not that unusual. I know of Medicine applicants who also applied for Law or Anthropology for instance.
Yes, I think I will give up on medicine if my grades aren't good enough. If I do the Finance course, I will look for a career in this area and I think that would also be very good but I'm just not sure about the personal statement issue at the moment. Do you think the university will see it as a problem if my entire personal statement is about medicine but I apply for this course? I don't want to get rejected because of that. Basically, at the moment, I'm looking at getting that fifth option filled with a good plan as soon as possible.

When you talk about taking a gap year and improving my grades, do you mean autumn exams? I don't want to do resits, but I am hoping we will be given the opportunity to do autumn exams like last year's cohort, then I think I will be able to get the grades whilst taking a gap and then I can do medicine.

I will not be pursuing graduate entry medicine; I feel like that route is too long and it's better to look elsewhere.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. :smile:
Original post by McGinger
Quickly email relevant Unis and explain - and ask if they will consider your application, and if so, can you write a separate PS to send directly to them?

All Unis know that Medicine is only 4 choices so they are used to this situation. Most people will use the 5th choice for a Biomed/Biochem course but other subjects are not that unusual. I know of Medicine applicants who also applied for Law or Anthropology for instance.

Thank you very much :smile: I will ask them
Thanks a lot for your help. I have now changed my mind to stick with something sciency.
I have seen you advise against doing postgraduate medicine on various threads and I was wondering if you could please explain what the reasons are. I saw you mention that competition is very high but not sure what else. I am currently a yr 13 student who has applied for 4 medicine places and received interviews so far, applying for a backup neuroscience/biomed science course at Warwick. I think I may end up having to do my backup course, after which I intend to do postgrad medicine, as I know I may not get AAA this year after exams have been cancelled. I have GCSEs 98888877766 (with 9s/8s in Maths and Science) and got UCAT 2610 SJT band 1 this year.

I would really appreciate your help, thank you :smile:
Thanks a lot! :smile:

I guess I am quite determined to be a doctor, however long it takes or costs, although if I apply for postgrad medicine and don't make it, I know there are good careers in the neuroscience route too. My sole aim will not be to do graduate entry medicine.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending