applying for 2 completely different courses? (undergrad)

Watch
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to apply to study an Accounting, Finance & Management course at York university and I have already applied to study medicine at 4 places. However, my personal statement is all about medicine. I exceed the entry requirements for the Accounting, Finance & Management course already but I am worried about the personal statement issue. Can I write another one? Or will it not matter?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DaQuestioner)
I want to apply to study an Accounting, Finance & Management course at York university and I have already applied to study medicine at 4 places. However, my personal statement is all about medicine. I exceed the entry requirements for the Accounting, Finance & Management course already but I am worried about the personal statement issue. Can I write another one? Or will it not matter?
But why? Do you want to do Medicine or Finance?
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
But why? Do you want to do Medicine or Finance?
I initially wanted to study Medicine but now exams have been cancelled I don't think I will be able to achieve the grades I need for Medicine. I have a fifth option that I haven't applied for yet, but I have to decide by the UCAS deadline. But I really enjoy maths and like the Finance careers too so I want to apply for the Accounting, Finance & Management course in my fifth option.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I initially wanted to study Medicine but now exams have been cancelled I don't think I will be able to achieve the grades I need for Medicine. I have a fifth option that I haven't applied for yet, but I have to decide by the UCAS deadline. But I really enjoy maths and like the Finance careers too so I want to apply for the Accounting, Finance & Management course in my fifth option.
So you are going to give up on Medicine?

If you still have a tiny inkling of wanting to be a doctor, we'd still suggest taking a gap year to improve your grades and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.

You must have seen me shouting everywhere that doing a degree for graduate entry medicine is not the right choice.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Quickly email relevant Unis and explain - and ask if they will consider your application, and if so, can you write a separate PS to send directly to them?

All Unis know that Medicine is only 4 choices so they are used to this situation. Most people will use the 5th choice for a Biomed/Biochem course but other subjects are not that unusual. I know of Medicine applicants who also applied for Law or Anthropology for instance.
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
So you are going to give up on Medicine?

If you still have a tiny inkling of wanting to be a doctor, we'd still suggest taking a gap year to improve your grades and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.

You must have seen me shouting everywhere that doing a degree for graduate entry medicine is not the right choice.
Yes, I think I will give up on medicine if my grades aren't good enough. If I do the Finance course, I will look for a career in this area and I think that would also be very good but I'm just not sure about the personal statement issue at the moment. Do you think the university will see it as a problem if my entire personal statement is about medicine but I apply for this course? I don't want to get rejected because of that. Basically, at the moment, I'm looking at getting that fifth option filled with a good plan as soon as possible.

When you talk about taking a gap year and improving my grades, do you mean autumn exams? I don't want to do resits, but I am hoping we will be given the opportunity to do autumn exams like last year's cohort, then I think I will be able to get the grades whilst taking a gap and then I can do medicine.

I will not be pursuing graduate entry medicine; I feel like that route is too long and it's better to look elsewhere.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Quickly email relevant Unis and explain - and ask if they will consider your application, and if so, can you write a separate PS to send directly to them?

All Unis know that Medicine is only 4 choices so they are used to this situation. Most people will use the 5th choice for a Biomed/Biochem course but other subjects are not that unusual. I know of Medicine applicants who also applied for Law or Anthropology for instance.
Thank you very much I will ask them
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes, I think I will give up on medicine if my grades aren't good enough. If I do the Finance course, I will look for a career in this area and I think that would also be very good but I'm just not sure about the personal statement issue at the moment. Do you think the university will see it as a problem if my entire personal statement is about medicine but I apply for this course? I don't want to get rejected because of that. Basically, at the moment, I'm looking at getting that fifth option filled with a good plan as soon as possible.

When you talk about taking a gap year and improving my grades, do you mean autumn exams? I don't want to do resits, but I am hoping we will be given the opportunity to do autumn exams like last year's cohort, then I think I will be able to get the grades whilst taking a gap and then I can do medicine.

I will not be pursuing graduate entry medicine; I feel like that route is too long and it's better to look elsewhere.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.
You can write a separate PS for your 5th choice. Good luck in your career.
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
You can write a separate PS for your 5th choice. Good luck in your career.
Thanks a lot for your help. I have now changed my mind to stick with something sciency.
I have seen you advise against doing postgraduate medicine on various threads and I was wondering if you could please explain what the reasons are. I saw you mention that competition is very high but not sure what else. I am currently a yr 13 student who has applied for 4 medicine places and received interviews so far, applying for a backup neuroscience/biomed science course at Warwick. I think I may end up having to do my backup course, after which I intend to do postgrad medicine, as I know I may not get AAA this year after exams have been cancelled. I have GCSEs 98888877766 (with 9s/8s in Maths and Science) and got UCAT 2610 SJT band 1 this year.

I would really appreciate your help, thank you
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks a lot for your help. I have now changed my mind to stick with something sciency.
I have seen you advise against doing postgraduate medicine on various threads and I was wondering if you could please explain what the reasons are. I saw you mention that competition is very high but not sure what else. I am currently a yr 13 student who has applied for 4 medicine places and received interviews so far, applying for a backup neuroscience/biomed science course at Warwick. I think I may end up having to do my backup course, after which I intend to do postgrad medicine, as I know I may not get AAA this year after exams have been cancelled. I have GCSEs 98888877766 (with 9s/8s in Maths and Science) and got UCAT 2610 SJT band 1 this year.

I would really appreciate your help, thank you
Competition being extremely fierce is not enough of a reason?! :rofl:

Anyway it'll take longer (3 year + 4 year, vs 1 gap year + 5 year MBChB) and cost more.

And of course, not having a 5th choice / offer means you will be eligible for UCAS Extra / Clearing. Some med schools go into that so it means you may still be able to start medicine in 2021 even if you have 4 rejections in the normal regular round.

Bottom line: never do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine.
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
Competition being extremely fierce is not enough of a reason?! :rofl:

Anyway it'll take longer (3 year + 4 year, vs 1 gap year + 5 year MBChB) and cost more.

And of course, not having a 5th choice / offer means you will be eligible for UCAS Extra / Clearing. Some med schools go into that so it means you may still be able to start medicine in 2021 even if you have 4 rejections in the normal regular round.

Bottom line: never do a degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine.
Thanks a lot!

I guess I am quite determined to be a doctor, however long it takes or costs, although if I apply for postgrad medicine and don't make it, I know there are good careers in the neuroscience route too. My sole aim will not be to do graduate entry medicine.
Last edited by DaQuestioner; 3 months ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks a lot!

I guess I am quite determined to be a doctor, however long it takes or costs, although if I apply for postgrad medicine and don't make it, I know there are good careers in the neuroscience route too. My sole aim will not be to do graduate entry medicine.
That's fine, but I usually say even if you have an inkling of wanting to do Medicine you should concentrate on standard undergrad medicine.

I suppose the most important reason not to pick a 5th choice is because of UCAS Extra / Clearing - med schools go into them.

Remember that many non-medicine courses will themselves go into Clearing if you have an urge to do them (and you shouldn't, if you don't want to give up on medicine).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads