How do you think Brexit is going?

Watch
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Waiting excitedly to buy my next property 30% cheaper, its not like remainers was lying or anything
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So... still extremely split then. What a shock!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
It is the massive **** up most people expected it to be.
No it's not.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
So... still extremely split then. What a shock!
Unfortunately tribalism in politics is almost unavoidable, people are becoming more and more intolerant and sheep like, its actually quite worrying.

In truth, it's too early and too much is going on to accurately say. We have not stopped paying EU contributions yet, March 21 is our last, I think, bar the on going commitments. But I could be wrong.

We need to revisit this topic in 3 or 4 years. What makes me chuckle is the inability of people to objectively think, when the general hypothesis is basically

'any job losses from 73 to 15, was nothing to do with the EU membership but all job losses from 2016 to present day is directly due to not holding EU membership"

Vs

'Everything is worth it because we stuck it too the salty remoaners'

well.... it's pretty pointless talking further
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 month ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meanwhile, in the real world.
And this is what I fail to understand the most. Stories like this are on a daily basis. Firms are at the brink of collapse all over the country, everyone is out of pocket, yet all Brexiteers can say is “suck it and see.” You were wrong.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
And this is what I fail to understand the most. Stories like this are on a daily basis. Firms are at the brink of collapse all over the country, everyone is out of pocket, yet all Brexiteers can say is “suck it and see.” You were wrong.
You might wish to look at how brexit is affecting Europe and how Covid-19 is effecting Europe and ourselves.

If you are correct, which you aren't, then the economic catastrophe will be impending on us very shortly. You never know I might get my next house 30% cheaper after all. If you are so convinced you are correct why are you going on and on about it, trying to convince anyone that will listen of impending doom, that you really hope all goes terrible, you want no deal so it's as bad as possible... why?

I'll do you a deal, let's drop the consistent brexit moaning, its so pointless bringing Brexit into EVERYTHING. I'll make a prediction where we will be and you do the same.... let's see who's going to be right when we revisit this thread in two years time.

Deal?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 month ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I ordered a rug and blanket from Europe, I'm expecting a potential delay but Wayfair are still fetching.

I also work in a role that exposes me to logistics and can tell you that bar delay, most things are still coming.

So I'm sure it may be costing time and money and some firms may be overexposed but I'm yet to suffer for this choice.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I didn't realise that so many of the new restrictions haven't actually been implemented yet.

This BBC reality check makes it sound like an absolute disaster I'll be honest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55831263
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I work in IT/tech, haven’t noticed any disruption in fact the opposite - many businesses involving engineering/tech/IT are booming.

Personal life isn’t affected much as I’ve lived off Amazon UK, gaming, work from home and streaming services last year without issues.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Companies are on the brink all
of the time. Probably not helped by a global
pandemic that puts minor administrative issues in paperwork, belligerent French customs officials slowing some exports down to prove a point.

the mass job losses we were promised if we voted for brexit never materialised. The mass job losses in the run up to brexit never materialised.

the biggest threat to industry was the indecision. As soon as the deal was made, companies that had been holding off making decisions until they knew what was happening, finally found out was happening and made those relevant decisions
to invest .

if you want to see brexit as a failure, you'll
Pick up native news story’s and attribute it to brexit. There was one in the paper the other day about a brewery couldn’t sell on line due to a car board shortage. They shoe horned brexit into it. If your read the story, they obviously hadn’t considered packaging until the last moment and never even considered that cardboard shortages might be the result of a massive increase in on line sales. (I’m looking at the huge box that Amazon shipped me two big bags of pork scratching as in.)
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Worth a watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSFSGR94iE

Remember we had a former PM and former deputy PM advising the same thing.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Worth a watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSFSGR94iE

Remember we had a former PM and former deputy PM advising the same thing.
Disgraceful isn't it?
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Disgraceful isn't it?
Remember we had a former PM (Blair) and former deputy PM (Clegg) actually advising the EU how to handle brexit negotiations.

Do you remember when Obama told us we were going to be at the back of the queue ?

https://news.sky.com/story/cameron-p...rning-11423669
Last edited by MatureStudent37; 4 weeks ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Remember we had a former PM (Blair) and former deputy PM (Clegg) actually advising the EU how to handle brexit negotiations.

Do you remember when Obama told us we were going to be at the back of the queue ?

Once again, in the real world we’re essentially back of the queue with Biden.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are we? Obama said we were at the back of the queue, but only because Cameron asked him to say it.

Biden may be another issue. However the much talked of love affair with Biden and the EU hasn’t gone off to an great start. As well as threatening a large US pharmaceutical company and potentially starting a vaccine war, there seems to be significant differences between the US and the EU again. Nothing new there.

https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...finger-salute/

we’ve now got the German Green Party kicking up stick about Germany’s involvement in NATO. And the French haven’t exactly endeared themselves to US foreign policy makers, even with the fawning of Macron and Holland.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hmmmm.

Whilst Trump was isolationist, Biden wants to build alliances in opposition to China on economic, military and political influence.

The EU have not started well on that having signed a new investment deal with China just days before inauguration and one which the Biden administration is deeply unhappy with. Neither has the restarted Nordstream2 pipeline between the EU and Russia exactly enamoured - especially since Biden cancelled the KeystoneXL oil pipeline through Canada. Climate change is a key Biden driver and will be writ large at the UK hosted Climate Change summit later this year.

The UK will soon lead a formidable Carrier Strike Group through the South China Sea together with U.S.support, to demonstrate freedom of navigation, strengthen ties with regional allies, as a diplomatic tool, advertise UK state-of-the-art engineering and prove fully integrated joint naval/air operations between the US and UK.
Last edited by uberteknik; 4 weeks ago
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Hmmmm.

Whilst Trump was isolationist, Biden wants to build alliances in opposition to China on economic, military and political influence.

The EU have not started well on that having signed a new investment deal with China just days before inauguration and one which the Biden administration is deeply unhappy with. Neither has the restarted Nordstream2 pipeline between the EU and Russia exactly enamoured - especially since Biden cancelled the KeystoneXL oil pipeline through Canada. Climate change is a key Biden driver and will be writ large at the UK hosted Climate Change summit later this year.

The UK will soon lead a formidable carrier strike group through the South China Sea together with U.S.support, to demonstrate freedom of navigation, strengthen ties with regional intetests, as a diplomatic tool and advertise UK state-of-the-art engineering.
Biden’s not just worried about China. A resurgent Russia is also posing a threat, especially when Frau Merkel doesn’t want to upset Russian Gas supplies into Germany. She has enough domestic problems at home and the last thing she needs is German exports impacted whilst trying to prop up the EU.

It’s going to be intersting times. The unelected EU elite wanting to punish. German big business wanting to protect British/German trade. France going into a meltdown and China and Russia playing funny buggers.

It’s almost like the 50s/60s and 7ps again.

Biden can’t afford to be too hard on the U.K. he needs the UKs UNSC seat. He needs NATOs northern flank secure (the RAF for example is in a very strong at the moment, the Royal Navy has low assessed some very worrying capability gaps.) who’s he going to rely on in the EU. The new EU head Commissioner has run the German military into the ground. France has needed to call in huge favours over Mali and nobody trusts EU battle groups unless its got Swedes, Norwegians, British or Dutch troops involved)
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Yea, I remember all the lies from both camps. Theres a word for them and its is warranted ... it begins with T.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Yea, I remember all the lies from both camps. Theres a word for them and its is warranted ... it begins with T.
I especially liked the if we leave the EU we won’t be able to cope in a global pandemic.

Even buying yes, let alone leaving is going to cost 700,000 jobs.

Kent being turned into a massive dogging site.

Those were some of my favourites as well as telnet we couldn’t cope with an outbreak of super gonorrhoea
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I especially liked the if we leave the EU we won’t be able to cope in a global pandemic.

Even buying yes, let alone leaving is going to cost 700,000 jobs.

Kent being turned into a massive dogging site.

Those were some of my favourites as well as telnet we couldn’t cope with an outbreak of super gonorrhoea
Now we use the absence if the superiority of EU law to cope better in a global pandemic. Eurofiles.... the educated bright ones :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.99%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.06%
A uni comparison tool (152)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.5%