Should there be a lockdown referendum in the UK?

Watch
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should there be a lockdown referendum in the UK to decide if we should continue with them, or to leave it to people to decide for themselves if they wish to stay at home?
Em395
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree. If given the option most citizens would decide not to take part in lockdown. I don't think the public is given enough information to make an informed decision.
Calibrated.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. In electing a Conservative Party, the British public made it clear they wanted a government that promotes big government and the nanny state. Subsequent policies have reflected that.
Pythian
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
No.

No. More. Referenda. Ever.

This is why we vote in MPs - so they make political decisions.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Not least given the time delay. If cases begin to rise, it could take weeks to put together and vote on a referendum by which point it'll be too late for a lockdown.

Plus it would cost even more government money while most voters would inevitably say no to avoid loss of income, closure of shops and all the other implications of a lockdown.
Lucifer323
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No referendums.

However lockdowns should be outlawed in the future as they can destroy the fabric of any society when they are applied for a long period of time.

Believing in lockdowns as measures of dealing with epidemics or pandemics shows precisely the level of ignorance most citizens have in scientific and public health matters.

TCA2b
Megacent
PilgrimOfTruth
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but I believe much greater transparency about their benefits and costs is essential. They're a very blunt tool.
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Ask the lizard people to outlaw it.
What kind of answer is this?? What lizards 🦎 are you talking about?? You seem to be confusing the threads and how serious or not the threads are.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
What kind of answer is this?? What lizards 🦎 are you talking about?? You seem to be confusing the threads and how serious or not the threads are.
Lockdown is more serious than extinction?
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
No, but I believe much greater transparency about their benefits and costs is essential. They're a very blunt tool.
Definitely.

But do you really think that this will ever happen? I mean transparency.

I remember Professor Sunetra Gupta who when asked said that the lockdowns are good solutions for the...affluent! I mean she can't put it better.
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Lockdown is more serious than extinction?
That thread wasn't that serious if you haven't realised...

Anything on this matter the thread is asking?
Referendums on Lockdowns? Lockdowns?
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely.

But do you really think that this will ever happen? I mean transparency.

I remember Professor Sunetra Gupta who when asked said that the lockdowns are good solutions for the...affluent! I mean she can't put it better.
No, I don't think it will.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If we have a referendum, then we won't need a lockdown. Everyone who votes will have been exposed, and everyone who could die from it will already do so.
FrankishEmpire
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
rest in peace "democracy".
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do you intend for people to vote in a referendum on lockdowns if theyre, well, locked down and thus unable to go outside on the whole..?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Em395)
I disagree. If given the option most citizens would decide not to take part in lockdown. I don't think the public is given enough information to make an informed decision.
not been given enough information? I presume you don't own a TV, go out in public ever, buy any news papers, go online etc. The public has had literally an entire year of nothing but covid shoved in their face every day. There has barely been any other news.. goverment figures and science experts are on everyday either with national briefings or commentary. Its literally impossible to avoid. I think by this point the public are more informed about corona viruses than they are about almost anything else.

Also given that polling constantly has support for the lockdowns at around 80%, its weird to conclude that the public would choose not to have one.

I do agree that we shouldn't have a referendum though.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No referendums.

However lockdowns should be outlawed in the future as they can destroy the fabric of any society when they are applied for a long period of time.

Believing in lockdowns as measures of dealing with epidemics or pandemics shows precisely the level of ignorance most citizens have in scientific and public health matters.

TCA2b
Megacent
PilgrimOfTruth
How else would you deal with a pandemic without a lockdown being introduced?
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
How else would you deal with a pandemic without a lockdown being introduced?
Since when lockdowns are ways of dealing with pandemics??

I don't think that scientists, health professionals, epidemiologists and medical doctors learn about lockdowns as a way to deal with epidemics or pandemics.

What kind of question is the one you have asked me? Since when this has become a scientific or medical fact? Since when its effectiveness has been proven?

Your question clearly shows that most people who take part in conversations like these ones don't have a single clue about scientific and public health matters.
username5623730
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No I don't. We haven't had a lockdown and I don't want one now. I'd just like some of the current restrictions properly enforced. Rita Ora should be in court for her blatant breach and the Newcastle player who had a hairdresser to his house suspended from playing for a while.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since when lockdowns are ways of dealing with pandemics??

I don't think that scientists, health professionals, epidemiologists and medical doctors learn about lockdowns as a way to deal with epidemics or pandemics.

What kind of question is the one you have asked me? Since when this has become a scientific or medical fact? Since when its effectiveness has been proven?

Your question clearly shows that most people who take part in conversations like these ones don't have a single clue about scientific and public health matters.
I think you’ll find they do. Lockdown are quite effective at slowing the spread of viruses. We know we’re not going to be able stop the spread of the virus until vaccines ate rolled out. But that’s already been explained so many times before .

Lockdowns are in place to stop the NHS being overwhelmed .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (46)
22.44%
Unhappy (56)
27.32%
Conflicted (103)
50.24%

Watched Threads