Dnipro Medical Institute applications Sept 2021

Watch
axahmxd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Dnipro undergraduate sept 2021 entry but I am quite unsure because of all the mixed reviews, is anyone in the same boat as me? and does anyone know when the deadline to apply is?
catherine south
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by axahmxd)
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Dnipro undergraduate sept 2021 entry but I am quite unsure because of all the mixed reviews, is anyone in the same boat as me? and does anyone know when the deadline to apply is?
I was in the same boat before and whatever university I considered when I came to TSR I was shocked with what I found. Many negative and many positive comments, so I decided to go to the university I thought was most suitable for me and I liked the most disregard what i saw here and I came to Ukraine after a lot of research with my family. if you have any questions about Dnipro feel free to ask
Sarahp2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FemaleBo55)
I think my advisor said it this is because of the transfer of credits and documentations from your previous degrees?
there's no way they should be charging that much just to transfer credits...that's a waste when I know for sure other unis don't do that for graduate entry
Liam.strat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m currently doing dentistry in 3rd year. I get the mixed reviews but as long as you put the work in and are prepared to self study then it’s not so bad.

There’s a good phantom head lab which is brand new and we’re currently doing half a day per week on these. Then next year hopefully we start on patients
Fatkat1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, I am looking to start in September as well, but I just started the process.
AJ00787
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Liam.strat)
I’m currently doing dentistry in 3rd year. I get the mixed reviews but as long as you put the work in and are prepared to self study then it’s not so bad.

There’s a good phantom head lab which is brand new and we’re currently doing half a day per week on these. Then next year hopefully we start on patients
Hi Liam
My name is AJ and I am looking forward to take admission at Dnipro for dental medicine this year. I have tremendous doubts and confusions in my head at this point of time but honstly I need some breakthrough in this as it is not helping me take a final decision and start the process. Is there any way we can have a conversation on the same as I am suppose to pay Medilink the first installment to kick off the process. Your feedback would be of great importance to me.

Please advise.

AJ
Submerged
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by King_George_Weah)
I've been looking into this for some time and other universities that supposedly promise you the ability to do part of the course online and the clinicals in the UK. In terms of cost it actually ends up becoming more expensive than studying at a UK or Irish school if you calculate the fees required for clinical placements on top of the tuition fees as well. I'm not convinced this is an ideal scenario either given that you don't really have the ability to practice clinical skills this way (as you would say at a UK school with access to the clinical skills suites etc), no face to face access to tutors etc. It just seems a very difficult option with lack of support from the university unless of course you study in the Ukraine (which would also be cheaper). Even then I've been put off by the apparent lack of support from the university especially for those with disabilities and additional needs and what appears to be an extremely unforgiving assessment process.

New Vision University is an even worse option given it isn't even accredited or recognised by the GMC (yet).

Of course I get why people choose to go abroad if they can't get in here and I'm not suggesting at all studying at these schools would affect employment prospects, not at all. It's just these are not easy options especially at institutions that don't really seem equipped to deal with students who might require additional support.

If language isn't a barrier then looking at the Italian schools is an option. I think there's a decent option in Germany which does part of the course in English. Also look at the options in Malta and Cyprus. I'd rather those than Eastern Europe. At least in Malta and Cyprus you have the option of Bart's and St George's.
New Vision is recognised by the GMC. What makes you say it's not?
King_George_Weah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Submerged)
New Vision is recognised by the GMC. What makes you say it's not?
This might help:
https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...-we-may-accept

The GMC "may accept" the NVU degree but clearly there are some concerns they will assess on a cases by case basis. I know of one agency who dropped NVU from their list of institutions due to these concerns as well as the fact this impacted on student numbers applying for NVU. AFAIK nobody has graduated from NVU and successfully obtained an FY post in the UK by following the training route involving clinicals in the UK. The manner in which this is done feels complex and very much placing a huge burden on the student not to mention you will have little academic support except online from what I gather. That also means not having access to a clinical skills lab/suite to practise key skills before placements etc. The idea of doing a lot of pre-clinical Medicine online sounds intriguing and in theory could work but ultimately studying in Eastern Europe isn't and has never really been an easy option for a whole host of reasons.
catherine south
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys I received this email, does anyone have more information about this?
Name:  Screenshot_20210329_221648_com.whatsapp.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  163.1 KB
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Just some handy information for anyone that might want it - I was considering Dnipro but have since been offered entry at another UK med school. Before I changed tack, I put in an FOI request to the GMC regarding numbers of graduates of Dnipro who are registered in the UK currently. There are five currently registered so take that as you want it
Liam.strat
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just some handy information for anyone that might want it - I was considering Dnipro but have since been offered entry at another UK med school. Before I changed tack, I put in an FOI request to the GMC regarding numbers of graduates of Dnipro who are registered in the UK currently. There are five currently registered so take that as you want it
Was this for Dnipro medical institute or for Dnipro academy?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Was this for Dnipro medical institute or for Dnipro academy?
DMI. Or, quote the GMC search "Dnipro Medical Institute of Traditional and Non Traditional Medicine, Dniepropetrovsk Medical Institute or Dnepropetrovskij Medicinskij Institute, which are both variations on the spelling of the same institutions"
Liam.strat
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
DMI. Or, quote the GMC search "Dnipro Medical Institute of Traditional and Non Traditional Medicine, Dniepropetrovsk Medical Institute or Dnepropetrovskij Medicinskij Institute, which are both variations on the spelling of the same institutions"
Ah ok great thanks. That’s definitely reassuring!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah ok great thanks. That’s definitely reassuring!
Honestly I didn't think so, because the picture that the agencies paint is that there's loads of grads, loads of UK people and it's all great. I know on TSR there were quite a few posters saying "oh well my friends graduated and works in the UK" but do they all have the same 5 friends? But I guess it shows it can be done and I'm glad you found it helpful 😊
lifeisbeautifu
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
okay, so i am one of the 3rd year medical student at DMI. and let me tell u all that, am not an agent or anything. so i started from 3rd year and about to sit for my krok1 in june. So From my experience, its a lot of self study. But i can reassure u all that , you will be provided with everything you need to practice as a doctor. Additionally you will have extra clinical classes (clinical year students 4-6) and u will also have some extra revision classes for the krok exam (god knows how many there are). cuz many joined from 3rd year and that too from different backgrounds so we need that extra support to ace the krok1 (which is the first medical state exam you will take as a medical student in ukraine ). So this year it was mostly online due to the pandemic. Besides all the pre clinical subjects, we had internal medicine, pediatrics, radiology etc. So what am trying to say is, if u are here to actually study with passion, everything will fall into place, you will learn, and you wouldn't have to worry about ukmla or plab or any other international exams. They teach us everything according to the international standard, i can confirm that. And the next questions some people may have, are there any graduates ? I honeslty have no clue on how many people have registered with the GMC from the DMI. Deffo, not many, but i know for a fact that there are graduates from dmi who have already registered in for their plab and some have registered with the GMC. You have to keep in mind, u will have to sit for IELTS exams (think its 7 overall) and UKMLA (from 2024). Here i have seen people who are purely here for chilling and not at all worried about passing or getting that knowledge and the next group of people- complaining all the time about the university and the lectures and wanting to transfer :/. But there are a lot of students here who are highly knowledgable, positive and has the perfect qualities that are required from a doctor/medical student. There is a DMI students union, which is great, they basically have OSCE sessions for clinical year medical students and lot more activities. So my final word- Choose DMI- ONLY if you are passionate enough about being a doctor and ready to put your hard work in and have a positive attitude towards everything including the cultural difference, because its a different country, some teachers may not speak fluent english and so on and oh yeh sometimes the lectures gets cancelled (i hate that part ) but they will make it up or give us study materials to study from (but if u just decide to relax and chill and ignore those work- then yeh good luck). DMI does have both pros and cons. mostly self study but ofcourse u do get the guidance to some extent.
Liam.strat
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Honestly I didn't think so, because the picture that the agencies paint is that there's loads of grads, loads of UK people and it's all great. I know on TSR there were quite a few posters saying "oh well my friends graduated and works in the UK" but do they all have the same 5 friends? But I guess it shows it can be done and I'm glad you found it helpful 😊
Yeah I know what you mean and I did wonder that myself...I hope you don’t mind me asking but would it be ok to forward me a screenshot of the email as I’d like to show one of my friends who was also worried about getting GDC registered
Submerged
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lifeisbeautifu)
okay, so i am one of the 3rd year medical student at DMI. and let me tell u all that, am not an agent or anything. so i started from 3rd year and about to sit for my krok1 in june. So From my experience, its a lot of self study. But i can reassure u all that , you will be provided with everything you need to practice as a doctor. Additionally you will have extra clinical classes (clinical year students 4-6) and u will also have some extra revision classes for the krok exam (god knows how many there are). cuz many joined from 3rd year and that too from different backgrounds so we need that extra support to ace the krok1 (which is the first medical state exam you will take as a medical student in ukraine ). So this year it was mostly online due to the pandemic. Besides all the pre clinical subjects, we had internal medicine, pediatrics, radiology etc. So what am trying to say is, if u are here to actually study with passion, everything will fall into place, you will learn, and you wouldn't have to worry about ukmla or plab or any other international exams. They teach us everything according to the international standard, i can confirm that. And the next questions some people may have, are there any graduates ? I honeslty have no clue on how many people have registered with the GMC from the DMI. Deffo, not many, but i know for a fact that there are graduates from dmi who have already registered in for their plab and some have registered with the GMC. You have to keep in mind, u will have to sit for IELTS exams (think its 7 overall) and UKMLA (from 2024). Here i have seen people who are purely here for chilling and not at all worried about passing or getting that knowledge and the next group of people- complaining all the time about the university and the lectures and wanting to transfer :/. But there are a lot of students here who are highly knowledgable, positive and has the perfect qualities that are required from a doctor/medical student. There is a DMI students union, which is great, they basically have OSCE sessions for clinical year medical students and lot more activities. So my final word- Choose DMI- ONLY if you are passionate enough about being a doctor and ready to put your hard work in and have a positive attitude towards everything including the cultural difference, because its a different country, some teachers may not speak fluent english and so on and oh yeh sometimes the lectures gets cancelled (i hate that part ) but they will make it up or give us study materials to study from (but if u just decide to relax and chill and ignore those work- then yeh good luck). DMI does have both pros and cons. mostly self study but ofcourse u do get the guidance to some extent.
Great post. Much appreciated.

You mention people complaining about the uni?
What are the common complaints you hear?
lifeisbeautifu
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Submerged)
Great post. Much appreciated.

You mention people complaining about the uni?
What are the common complaints you hear?
Mainly on how the lectures gets rescheduled and about this self study crisis and cuz with DMI there is a lot of self study, they don't spoon feed you or anything and u do hear a lot of concerns from students on the group chat and yeh they panic each other out. I stopped listening to all that, and everything got much peaceful after that. Tbh i don't remember all the complaints i have heard so far ever since i came here and before. It stresses me out and no one has time to listen to all that, we are here to study isn't. Study, work hard, off to uk or where ever u planned to go and work and most importantly, dont listen to any agents or anything. Do your own research. hope this helps.
Submerged
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks again for such an informative and thorough explanation.
Have taken note. You're quite right about people venting their frustrations and negativity; that kind of thing can be quite toxic and counter-productive.
Also note your comments about agencies. They all seem like sharks!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Reminder of TSR rules:

Off site social media group chats are not allowed anywhere on TSR, including via PMs.

This is for your protection as we don't know who makes them, and who joins them. Some of you are under 18.

Please do not ask, mention or advertise them in the forum; or attempt to take discussion off our forum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (134)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (403)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (303)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (381)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (124)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (165)
6.06%
Loneliness (233)
8.56%
Financial worries (100)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (110)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
4.59%
Lack of real life entertainment (144)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (239)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (261)
9.59%

Watched Threads