50%
shouldn’t i (1)
50%
beccaoconnor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I just need some advice because this is really stressing me out all the time. I’ve just started sixth form this year, and I had chosen to do music tech as one of my à levels but the teacher convinced me to do music aswell. I’m grade 8 piano started when i was 5 play a few other instruments so it makes sense that i do it. But it’s mainly theory and I just don’t want to do it anymore. I want to quit piano lessons aswell (i’m working towards diploma which could get me some good jobs) but I can’t because I have to perform complex pieces for a level and i can’t do that without a teacher. The only reason i’m not quitting atm is bcause i’m worried that if i do i’ll miss out on so many jobs. Also this is the only opportunity i have to perform in college especially with corona stopping performances to rest of the school, and i’d really like to build up my performing confidence. The thing is I don’t even want to do music at uni i want to do music tech. Also I feel i should maybe see the year thru as not to seem unintelligent, and also there’s some nice people on my course who i won’t get to see. It’s just a massive constant cycle of stress and it’s really draining i always think about what it would be like without it and it’s makes me so upset, so please if anyone has advice help me😂😪😭 xx
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccaoconnor)
Hi, I just need some advice because this is really stressing me out all the time. I’ve just started sixth form this year, and I had chosen to do music tech as one of my à levels but the teacher convinced me to do music aswell. I’m grade 8 piano started when i was 5 play a few other instruments so it makes sense that i do it. But it’s mainly theory and I just don’t want to do it anymore. I want to quit piano lessons aswell (i’m working towards diploma which could get me some good jobs) but I can’t because I have to perform complex pieces for a level and i can’t do that without a teacher. The only reason i’m not quitting atm is bcause i’m worried that if i do i’ll miss out on so many jobs. Also this is the only opportunity i have to perform in college especially with corona stopping performances to rest of the school, and i’d really like to build up my performing confidence. The thing is I don’t even want to do music at uni i want to do music tech. Also I feel i should maybe see the year thru as not to seem unintelligent, and also there’s some nice people on my course who i won’t get to see. It’s just a massive constant cycle of stress and it’s really draining i always think about what it would be like without it and it’s makes me so upset, so please if anyone has advice help me😂😪😭 xx
Also, i’m doing 4 a level- music, music tech, english and history, so u can imagine my choices are very essay based and i just don’t know if i’ll be able to keep up with all four.
Lily817912
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, i’m doing 4 a level- music, music tech, english and history, so u can imagine my choices are very essay based and i just don’t know if i’ll be able to keep up with all four.
does it not make more sense to drop history? also what career in music do u want? a singer?
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lily817912)
does it not make more sense to drop history? also what career in music do u want? a singer?
no i want to keep history so i can keep an option open if music doesn’t work out. I said i wanted a career in music tech(nology) to start with, which I wouldn’t need music A level for, as I’m already sfudying music technology at sixth form if that makes sense. The main most people want from music technology is the become a producer.
Mazar00
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! What exam board are you taking? I'm taking AQA and it's not just theory, in fact coursework makes up 60%. I'm also studying 4 A Levels and Im in year 13 (music, philosophy, history, Latin).
I know the theory is hard but it will help you and prepare you for music in the future. Also if youre grade 8 piano youll already be fine with theory surely.
Lily817912
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no i want to keep history so i can keep an option open if music doesn’t work out. I said i wanted a career in music tech(nology) to start with, which I wouldn’t need music A level for, as I’m already sfudying music technology at sixth form if that makes sense. The main most people want from music technology is the become a producer.
If music does not work out, just be a teacher then, an English teacher or something like that
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lily817912)
If music does not work out, just be a teacher then, an English teacher or something like that
I definitely don’t want to be a teacher haha
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mazar00)
Hey! What exam board are you taking? I'm taking AQA and it's not just theory, in fact coursework makes up 60%. I'm also studying 4 A Levels and Im in year 13 (music, philosophy, history, Latin).
I know the theory is hard but it will help you and prepare you for music in the future. Also if youre grade 8 piano youll already be fine with theory surely.
It’s not just that it’s hard it’s just that is it actually worth it if i’m not going to pursue being a classical musician when i’m older? But music and music technology are connected so I’m only taking music for the sake of my future. Also I did music theory ages ago so i have forgotten most of it. A high grade doesn’t always mean equal theory knowledge, but thanks for the advice.
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
It’s not just that it’s hard it’s just that is it actually worth it if i’m not going to pursue being a classical musician when i’m older? But music and music technology are connected so I’m only taking music for the sake of my future. Also I did music theory ages ago so i have forgotten most of it. A high grade doesn’t always mean equal theory knowledge, but thanks for the advice.
It’s hard to work wholeheartedly at something that i’m not sure/ not fully commmited on
peturtle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, Year 13 music tech student, working towards grade 8 guitar, and applied for creative music technology courses.
I think that for a music tech career/uni course, knowledge of basic theory, and concepts are important, but needs to come from a place of passion, and I think studying music remotely, for an unnecessary (for uni applications) A level, Is not worth it. I was doing 4 A levels last year, but dropped Further Maths at the start of the first lockdown (still got a cheeky AS grade though), and the workload was just unbearable.

I also think something my guitar teacher said to me could apply here, though. He was talking about grade 8, and said that it's something that you keep for the rest of your life, as a qualification to put on CVs, etc. and that it can really help applying for jobs in music education and similar.

I fully understand where you are coming from, and my opinion is that something you aren't very passionate about, and is not necessary for your next steps, is not worth doing at the detriment of your mental health.

I also had a friend doing 4 A levels, but they really weren't happy with their choices, and dropped Further Maths and computer science to do music tech as well as performing arts and maths, and they're much happier now.

If you do decide to drop Music, I would recommend you spend time on compositions and productions for a music tech portfolio, as the time to submit them will come around sooner than you expect.
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
(Original post by peturtle)
Hi, Year 13 music tech student, working towards grade 8 guitar, and applied for creative music technology courses.
I think that for a music tech career/uni course, knowledge of basic theory, and concepts are important, but needs to come from a place of passion, and I think studying music remotely, for an unnecessary (for uni applications) A level, Is not worth it. I was doing 4 A levels last year, but dropped Further Maths at the start of the first lockdown (still got a cheeky AS grade though), and the workload was just unbearable.

I also think something my guitar teacher said to me could apply here, though. He was talking about grade 8, and said that it's something that you keep for the rest of your life, as a qualification to put on CVs, etc. and that it can really help applying for jobs in music education and similar.

I fully understand where you are coming from, and my opinion is that something you aren't very passionate about, and is not necessary for your next steps, is not worth doing at the detriment of your mental health.

I also had a friend doing 4 A levels, but they really weren't happy with their choices, and dropped Further Maths and computer science to do music tech as well as performing arts and maths, and they're much happier now.

If you do decide to drop Music, I would recommend you spend time on compositions and productions for a music tech portfolio, as the time to submit them will come around sooner than you expect.
Don’t get me wrong, I really am passionate about music, if i didn’t start playing the piano my life would be so different, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love playing and learning music, but learning (classical) it under pretences of an exam board is a bit forced. I don’t want to have to play a specific piece on a certain instrument because otherwise I won’t get as high marks. I don’t want to have to know the range of a tennor part or the definition of tierce de picardi or the 10 music terms that mean ‘play softly’. I want to be making and producing songs that aren’t based on rules from the 19th century, but instead ones that would make me cry if an audience sang it back to me. I have actually done grade 8 piano, so that’s something for the CV (and various other grades in instruments) and some of the pieces i really genuinely fell in love with. I’m just worried that if I drop it, it’ll undermine my chances at things in the music industry. I need to know what you can’t do if you don’t take music a level but there’s not much that comes up when i research that. I really appreciate your advice, thank you.
freyap2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my experience, I dropped an A-Level because I thought I knew what I wanted to do at Uni, whilst in year 12. Worst decision of my life
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
Why was it the worst decision of your life? what did you think you wanted to do and what did you actually do?
beccaoconnor
Rep:
?
keep the advice coming!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are doing 4 a-levels, then drop it if you want.
By the looks of it you are still doing music tech anyway as one of your other options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (463)
51.5%
No (436)
48.5%

Watched Threads