ATP.....curreny?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
these_apples
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
:confused:
This is really bugging me, can anyone give me a nice conscise answer to this.

Describe the role of ATP as the energy currency in all living organisms.
(3 marks)

Thanks
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Aah a classic biology question - vague and annoying.

I'd go for:
ATP is small water soluble and can be moved around a cell.
Hydrolysis of ATP releases immediate energy - ATP + H2O -> ADP + Pi (+ energy)
ATP is used for- anabolic reactions eg protein synthesis; for movement of muscles/cilia; for active transport.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Make sure you emphasise the point that ATP hydrolysis releases energy, as this is almost certainly what they want to see that you know here.

They seem to refer to it as a currency because all organisms use it as an energy source. Except it isn't used universally as an energy source (see below), so it's all a bit pointless really.

For extra brownie points tell 'em that in some processes GTP is used instead of ATP (For example in cell "cascade" reactions, where one reaction leads to a lot of others, which each lead to a lot of others, etc; often the protein that sets this off hydrolyses GTP in order to do it)
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by these_apples)
Describe the role of ATP as the energy currency in all living organisms. (3 marks)
ATP is the immediate source of energy for all biological processes in all loving organisms, ie. muscle contraction and active transport. It is produced by repsiration (most during oxidative phosphorylation) and energy is stored when ADP is converted to ATP. About 38 molecules are produced from the breakdown of each glucose molecule. The hydolysis of ATP releases energy and in turn converts ATP to ADP and phosphate molecule. ATP exists in small amounts so is constantly resynthsised to provide energy
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
ATP is the immediate source of energy for all biological processes in all loving organisms, ie. muscle contraction and active transport.
Not quite true, I think GTP was mentioned before.

It is produced by repsiration (most during oxidative phosphorylation) and energy is stored when ADP is converted to ATP. About 38 molecules are produced from the breakdown of each glucose molecule.
Breakdown is not such a good word here. Maybe you should say for each moelcule of glucose that enters the glycolytic pathway upto 38 molecules of ATP can be produced - of course this depends if it is aerobic or anaerobic respiration.

The hydolysis of ATP releases energy and in turn converts ATP to ADP and phosphate molecule.
ATP hydrolysis is the conversion of ATP to ADP plus phosphate, your statement seems to indicate that energy is extracted before the breakdown of ATP, which is unphysical

ATP exists in small amounts so is constantly resynthsised to provide energy
ATP is an energy storage and transport medium, its synthesis takes in energy not provides it.

The criticism is not intended as a flame or anything, I'm trying to be constructive and help the OP get the right answer by being over-pedantic.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Not quite true, I think GTP was mentioned before.

Breakdown is not such a good word here. Maybe you should say for each moelcule of glucose that enters the glycolytic pathway upto 38 molecules of ATP can be produced - of course this depends if it is aerobic or anaerobic respiration.

ATP hydrolysis is the conversion of ATP to ADP plus phosphate, your statement seems to indicate that energy is extracted before the breakdown of ATP, which is unphysical

ATP is an energy storage and transport medium, its synthesis takes in energy not provides it.

The criticism is not intended as a flame or anything, I'm trying to be constructive and help the OP get the right answer by being over-pedantic.
haha yes smartie :rolleyes:
should stop procrastinating and do more bio papers :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.4%
Leave (129)
19.6%

Watched Threads