Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m genuinely curious what the big deal is with Russell group unis, I never understood why people put RG unis above others that have the same or a better reputation.
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Russel Group Unis have well known research and a reputation for academic achievement. In general, you might see the education being better and having good contacts with employees
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ototot)
Hi, I’m genuinely curious what the big deal is with Russell group unis, I never understood why people put RG unis above others that have the same or a better reputation.
Have a read about RG unis HERE. The 24 RG unis get 70% of the research budget (there are over 100 UK universities). This in turn attracts the cleverest professors; remember university teachers teach for part of the time but they mainly carry out research. Thus, going to an RG uni means that you will be taught by the cleverest brains in the field whose research is probably making a real difference - whether it be law or chemistry or any subject you choose.

Companies cannot come to all 121 universities to recruit graduates so they target the best unis. If you go to an RG uni then you can be assured that the best companies (Google, Facebook etc) will come on the 'milk round' interviews. If you go to the University of Grimsby then you probably will not be visited by Microsoft or Ford Motors. during the milk round.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The rg is simply a lobby group for research funding.

their is a correlation between traditionally prestigious universities & the group but it is by no means a definitive list, and so much about making the right choice is course specific that using it as a resource to filter universities is a mistake.
Ototot
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
The rg is simply a lobby group for research funding.

their is a correlation between traditionally prestigious universities & the group but it is by no means a definitive list, and so much about making the right choice is course specific that using it as a resource to filter universities is a mistake.
Lol. This is actually pretty interesting tbh I just thought it was a title. I think I applied for a mix of normal and rg but I never done it for the purpose of it being a RG uni. In Scotland we only have Edinburgh and Glasgow that are part of it so I don’t think many people care here as there’s only 2. Which is why I was confused cause I see people on here saying they are worried about it not being a Russell group uni. Thank you for your help !
Ototot
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Have a read about RG unis HERE. The 24 RG unis get 70% of the research budget (there are over 100 UK universities). This in turn attracts the cleverest professors; remember university teachers teach for part of the time but they mainly carry out research. Thus, going to an RG uni means that you will be taught by the cleverest brains in the field whose research is probably making a real difference - whether it be law or chemistry or any subject you choose.

Companies cannot come to all 121 universities to recruit graduates so they target the best unis. If you go to an RG uni then you can be assured that the best companies (Google, Facebook etc) will come on the 'milk round' interviews. If you go to the University of Grimsby then you probably will not be visited by Microsoft or Ford Motors. during the milk round.
Thank you! I understand it more now It’s more about the funding and teaching that makes them different. I did actually think it was a title lol. i did apply for 2 I think but without the purpose of it being a Russell group uni so I suppose it’s probably good I did
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For many subjects the 'best' Unis are not actually RG at all.
Coventry for Motorsport Engineering, Plymouth for Marine Biology etc

And for subjects like Medicine, Dentistry, Vet courses, Nursing, Social Work etc, the NHS or whoever are not going to care about 'which' Uni - so forget getting academically snotty if you are applying for those sort of courses. No-one will care where you went.

I went to a non-RG Uni. I have a PhD and had an academic career at a top Uni. I have other examples of friends who went to 'lower' Unis and were accepted by Cambridge. Its up to you to develop your career, you don't have a barcode on your forehead that determines your life.

And another factor to remember - the idea that you will be 'taught by top Professors' if you go to RG is a bit of a myth. Too often you will be taught by their PhD students, especially in your first year, because the 'top Professor' is doing research, not teaching.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
If you go to the University of Grimsby then you probably will not be visited by Microsoft or Ford Motors. during the milk round.
or quite possibly, anyone else
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn't say any of the RG unis are bad but I would say some other unis (like Lancaster and Loughborough) are just as good or better than some of them. Some people just pick a RG uni for no other reason that they feel it's a safe choice, although it's true that other unis may be better for specific courses.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lancasters is pretty good. They just developed a nasal spray vaccine against covid thats about to go to human trials for people who cant have the jab, so their research cant be bad
And the physics department research is amazing also and had lots of internship positions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (375)
32.11%
No (793)
67.89%

Watched Threads