The Student Room Group

Do you just accept your looks?

I really struggle with accepting how I look, that I’m not that pretty. I really struggle having photos taken and hate looking at them because it just makes me feel down. (I know it’s quite vain) I don’t see many adults with this problem, is there just a point where you accept how look and get on with it? Do you start to feel better once someone loves you/you’re married and you no longer need to be loved because of your appearance? I might want to work with children when I’m older (I want to do dentistry and I’m quite interested in paediatrics) and somehow I feel like little children prefer/trust more pretty people. Would you agree? (Maybe I was just a strange child) Thanks, I just need some reassurance. :smile:
Just to clarify, I’m not overly bothered by not being a ‘pretty girl’ I would just like to be able to look at a picture of myself and feel good about it.
(edited 3 years ago)
This is your own insecurity. It doesn’t matter if someone likes you or not. Only you can overcome this regardless. That said, it does help if you do have someone that loves you. You just need to accept how you look.
You just have to accept the way you look...you were made to look some type of way so just own it :smile: <3
Ye
Yeah... I don't accept how I look, I hate it!

However I live with it day to day and just concentrate on my hideous fashion sense!
I know this probably won’t help but here’s the thing..

Life existing on this planet (any planet) is so incredibly rare, you can’t comprehend. YOU existing is even more of a miracle. The fact is that you’re here for hardly any time at all, before you go back to where you came from, nowhere. You have one chance to experience love, happiness, family, friends, good food, travel. I get that you want to look great etc but in 50 years time when you’re near the end will you thank yourself for wasting so much precious time being sad about your outer appearance, or will you thank yourself for accepting something you will never be able to change and living the best, happiest life you can possibly live in spite of everything.

I hope for your sake you come to accept yourself, even love yourself, and enjoy everything meaningful life has to offer.

Good luck 😊
Yup!

and i deffo take it from the love/marriage perspective you mentioned. I'm gonna be honest, yes i do want to appear physically attractive to a guy that's the only factor that makes me a little conscious about my looks.
But i don't overthink that too much because there's someone out there for everyone, someone who's going to accept and perhaps make u feel more loved about the way u look, not only that they're going to look beyond that for sure, so don't stress :hugs:

Apart from that i don't see any other reason to be insecure about your looks....why should u care about ur looks when it comes to other women, esp on social media ? :indiff:

We're all beautiful in our own way :heart:
Original post by MiriamL
I really struggle with accepting how I look, that I’m not that pretty. I really struggle having photos taken and hate looking at them because it just makes me feel down. (I know it’s quite vain) I don’t see many adults with this problem, is there just a point where you accept how look and get on with it? Do you start to feel better once someone loves you/you’re married and you no longer need to be loved because of your appearance? I might want to work with children when I’m older (I want to do dentistry and I’m quite interested in paediatrics) and somehow I feel like little children prefer/trust more pretty people. Would you agree? (Maybe I was just a strange child) Thanks, I just need some reassurance. :smile:

I cant really say much on this cause I never really struggled with my looks(food is the only thing I care about) but im a boy so it might hav been different had I switched genders. But ik that while not everyone is percieved as pretty that dont matter caus youll find people who love u fr who you are and thats the most important thing I dont think children take into account your looks I think they just like kind people so dw
today people are too busy worrying about their own looks to worry about yours
Nah I hate the way I look
Original post by Nialler x

kim jong un says hi

SHUSHHHHH :whip:
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
kim jong un says hi

Hiyaaa

Original post by HumbleBee_x
SHUSHHHHH :whip:

Noooo :naughty:

Nialler!!! You are absolutely stunning! Don’t tell yourself otherwise :smile:
Honestly still struggling, some days i accept it others i don't
Reply 16
I am not particularly attractive either, so I just act like I am and go about my business. Once you learn that attractiveness is fluid, and that it can change, you will have no problems accepting yourself. You will also, over time, be able to "make" people attracted to you based on how you act. So, all in all, this is sort of a non-issue from my perspective.
There's also the part about insecurity - if someone gave you the perfect appearance you would still manage to find someone that finds you unattractive, and then you would dislike your appearance and want a new one. I'd strongly suggest OP works up (her?) confidence and tries to understand that their actions can make people see them as attractive.
For example, teachers usually aren't particularly attractive, but most students have a teacher crush. Because they find the teacher attractive due to the power dynamic and usually the "maturity" of the teacher - which can translate into finding the teacher physically attractive. Hence "attractiveness is fluid".
Original post by MiriamL

I mean im not exactly the best looking but I dont look ugly either but I also dont rlly care
Original post by MiriamL
Nialler!!! You are absolutely stunning! Don’t tell yourself otherwise :smile:

Yeah but that's only because I have makeup on

Quick Reply

Latest