Bob123987
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi im going to pick my a levels this year I chose biology and psychology and i need a 3rd subject i fear that maths will be hard ? Is it hard and is it over exaggerated by people or could i do something else rather than maths?
One of my paths for future is to become a optometrist
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths is not necessarily any more difficult that the subjects you have already chosen. If you are mathematically inclined then you are unlikely to find it too challenging, but only you know the extent of your mathematical ability so we are not able to make that judgement for you.

What grade are you predicted for GCSE?
Bob123987
Rep:
?
(Original post by hajima)
Maths is not necessarily any more difficult that the subjects you have already chosen. If you are mathematically inclined then you are unlikely to find it too challenging, but only you know the extent of your mathematical ability so we are not able to make that judgement for you.

What grade are you predicted for GCSE?
They haven’t given us our predicted grades but my teacher gave me a 6 for class work which i don’t usually listen at as it was just the start of the year and covid interfered
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bob123987)
They haven’t given us our predicted grades but my teacher gave me a 6 for class work which i don’t usually listen at as it was just the start of the year and covid interfered
A 6 is unlikely to give adequate preparation for the A-Level course as your final grade, but if you know you're capable of higher and generally don't find Maths too difficult then I don't see what you have to be apprehensive of?

Additionally, I would caution against taking Maths just because it's well regarded or the subject you're 'supposed' to take for your chosen career; only commit to an A-Level if you like the subject. Essentially, if you like Maths and are a capable mathematician, go for it.
Last edited by hajima; 4 weeks ago
Bob123987
Rep:
?
A 6 is unlikely to give adequate preparation for the A-Level course as your final grade, but if you know you're capable of higher and generally don't find Maths too difficult then I don't see what you have to be apprehensive of?

Additionally, I would caution against taking Maths just because it's well regarded or the subject you're 'supposed' to take for your chosen career; only commit to an A-Level if you like the subject. Essentially, if you like Maths and are a capable mathematician, go for it.
Would you say physic a level is more difficult than maths? And I don’t have interest for any other subjects do you have suggestions what did you take for a levels ?and what were your opinions
Last edited by Bob123987; 4 weeks ago
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
Would you say physic is more difficult than maths?
I didn't take physics at A-Level so I'm not really qualified to say. I also don't think it's useful at all to ask other people how difficult they found certain subjects because it varies hugely depending on the person. Please try and look inwards for answers because only you know how capable you are at a given subject.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Grade 6 is good but you would have to work incredibly hard, if you’re up for it and genuinely have passion for algebra, go for it.
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Grade 6 is good but you would have to work incredibly hard, if you’re up for it and genuinely have passion for algebra, go for it.
This is not their final grade and A-Level maths is more than just algebra.

And I don’t have interest for any other subjects do you have suggestions what did you take for a levels ?and what were your opinions
If you don't have an interest in any other subjects then decide between maths and physics based on which one you like more.

I don't think my A-Levels and what my opinions on them are is relevant because this isn't about me.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A level maths is more than just algebra .
I know plenty of friends who got grade 6 and are on A*’s as we speak. It’s definitely possible to excel in mathematics with just a grade 6. There are different factors which could be considered.

Maths isn’t just algebra but if you get used to manipulating numbers coherently, you will be just fine at A level.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Would you say physic a level is more difficult than maths? And I don’t have interest for any other subjects do you have suggestions what did you take for a levels ?and what were your opinions
Physics is more difficult than maths, yes.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For an optometrist, pick which ever subject you think you’d enjoy, chances are that you’d excel in them OP. Don’t be demotivated by what people have to say on the internet.
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
I know plenty of friends who got grade 6 and are on A*’s as we speak. It’s definitely possible to excel in mathematics with just a grade 6. There are different factors which could be considered.

Maths isn’t just algebra but if you get used to manipulating numbers coherently, you will be just fine at A level.
Most sixth forms do not accept 6s because they do not demonstrate adequate mathematical ability. I simply pointed out that OP's final grade is not a 6 which means they are likely to improve and are thus probably suitable for the A-Level. I'm glad your friends are doing well.

Algebraic manipulation is an important skill, yes, but it isn't good advice to say that if someone enjoys one specific facet of a subject then they will necessarily enjoy the subject as a whole. That is like me saying that if one enjoys cell biology then they should take Biology A-Level, there is a bit more to the decision.
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
Physics is more difficult than maths, yes.
Why are you spreading your opinion as fact? Are you purposefully trying to mislead OP?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most sixth forms do not accept 6s because they do not demonstrate adequate mathematical ability. I simply pointed out that OP's final grade is not a 6 which means they are likely to improve and are thus probably suitable for the A-Level. I'm glad your friends are doing well.

Algebraic manipulation is an important skill, yes, but it isn't good advice to say that if someone enjoys one specific facet of a subject then they will necessarily enjoy the subject as a whole. That is like me saying that if one enjoys cell biology then they should take Biology A-Level, there is a bit more to the decision.
For your information actually, before spreading completely fake news, that is not true at all.

There are some sixth forms which have grade 6 requirement to get onto the maths course, so definitely does demonstrate adequate mathematical ability.

Algebra is an important skill, it is useful for topics such as trig, differentiation, integration, just number manipulation. If OP can work on that now, I reckon they’ll have no problems at A level. There really isn’t much continuation from GCSE to A level.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 4 weeks ago
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why are you spreading your opinion as fact? Are you purposefully trying to mislead OP?
I have been told by a lot of people who do physics and maths that it is harder.

No fake news.
hajima
Report 4 weeks ago
For your information actually, before spreading completely fake news, that is not true at all.

There are some sixth forms which have grade 6 requirement to get onto the maths course, so definitely does demonstrate adequate mathematical ability.

Algebra is an important skill, it is useful for topics such as trig, differentiation, integration, just number number manipulation. If OP can work on that now, I reckon they’ll have no problems at A level. There really isn’t much continuation from GCSE to A level.
I said most sixth forms don't accept a grade 6, please make sure to read my post properly before trying to argue with me.

Again this isn't totally true. Conceptually, mathematics does not become any easier just because you are relatively fluent at algebraic manipulation.

I have been told by a lot of people who do physics and maths that it is harder.

No fake news.

I will state this once, very plainly. What "a lot of people" find harder is not an objective measure of difficulty. It is completely incorrect to assert the opinion you gave as fact, and you are misleading OP by doing so.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will state this once, very plainly. What "a lot of people" find harder is not an objective measure of difficulty. It is completely incorrect to assert the opinion you gave as fact, and you are misleading OP by doing so.

You can’t even say most neither. Grade 6 is the threshold for a cognitive mathematic student. Not grade 7.

Conceptually, it is true. Please tell me what exactly from GCSE specification is continued onto A level maths? Nothing! A level maths is a clean start. You can say some trig, but what else after that??????????

You are also misleading OP by saying grade 6 doesn’t demonstrate mathematical ability, so you better correct yourself also.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OP, just do maths A level if you want to.

Understand AS level maths and you should be fine for A level.

As I’ve said, solidify your algebra. As a grade 6 student, be confident in answering the questions and you’ll be fine.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 4 weeks ago
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can’t even say most neither. Grade 6 is the threshold for a cognitive mathematic student. Not grade 7.

Conceptually, it is true. Please tell me what exactly from GCSE specification is continued onto A level maths? Nothing! A level maths is a clean start. You can say some trig, but what else after that??????????

You are also misleading OP by saying grade 6 doesn’t demonstrate mathematical ability, so you better correct yourself also.
Actually trigonometry is actually grade 6 level maths! So they would be even capable of knowing your occasional SOHCAHTOA triangles!!!!!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Possible yes, especially with CAGs. But the prospects of a good grade with a B/6 in maths aren't great so some (idk if most) places do want a 7. About to go to bed but will share the stats if interested.

Edit: just read your first post and agree fwiw
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads