username5611560
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m supposed to be picking Highers soon, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my fifth choice? I haven’t fully narrowed it down yet, but I want to do something involving Bio/Chem at university. For Highers, I’ve decided on Maths, English, Biology and Chemistry but am stuck between Art, Geography and RMPS for my fifth choice. I really enjoy art, but it won’t be very useful for applying for a STEM subject at uni and there is tonnes of coursework. On the other hand, Geography is relatively easy but I find it quite tedious and dull. RMPS interests me but is an essay subject which isn’t really one of my strong points. My school doesn’t allow us to pick up new subjects except under very rare circumstances. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
Last edited by username5611560; 1 month ago
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you aren’t s applying for medicine I don’t see anything wrong with doing Art, unis would rather you have 5 As than get less than that because you’re worried about what they would think. If you are really concerned you could always email them
username5611560
Rep:
?
I do kind of want to keep medicine as an option though. Would geography be a better choice if i were to do medicine as it’s considered more of a ‘traditional’ subject? I’ll figure it out haha thank you so much
crayonsrcool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hyucen)
I do kind of want to keep medicine as an option though. Would geography be a better choice if i were to do medicine as it’s considered more of a ‘traditional’ subject? I’ll figure it out haha thank you so much
personally, id say choose what you enjoy. univerisities only ask for the required subjects and the fact you are planning to take higher maths, chemistry and biology will out you in a strong lead for STEM. 5 highers ARE HARD, especially sciences, so doing something like art could be more chilled. granted, the coursework is a lot, but by the time you get to exams, it wont be as intense.
username5611560
Rep:
?
(Original post by crayonsrcool)
personally, id say choose what you enjoy. univerisities only ask for the required subjects and the fact you are planning to take higher maths, chemistry and biology will out you in a strong lead for STEM. 5 highers ARE HARD, especially sciences, so doing something like art could be more chilled. granted, the coursework is a lot, but by the time you get to exams, it wont be as intense.
yeah, that’s true. i’ll research a bit more, just stressed as the deadline’s coming up soon 😭😭 thanks!
crayonsrcool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah, that’s true. i’ll research a bit more, just stressed as the deadline’s coming up soon 😭😭 thanks!
the nature of highers is they require a lot of work, so you really do need to like the subject otherwise you'll feel less motivated to do the work etc. good luck!
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since you're doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology I don't think there is anything wrong with doing Art, as other people have said its important that you love what you're doing (or at least like it). Since essay subjects aren't for you I wouldn't go for RMPS, and as someone who is good at essay subjects I even found geography really heavy tbh
aamy12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! Have you made your choices yet?

We were told that we should take the subjects that will be most beneficial for uni courses in 5th year as many universities require grades from one sitting. My advice would be take geography if you think it will help you with STEM subjects. You can still take Highers in 6th year if you decide that you want to do more instead of AHs.

As everyone else is saying, though, it's important that you like what you're doing. Even if you're not 100% sure about what you want to do at uni, have a look at some courses that interest you and look at their entry requirements. Those are your best bet for seeing what you need for uni.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (6)
10.17%
Virtual campus tours/open days (12)
20.34%
Live streaming events (5)
8.47%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (6)
10.17%
A uni comparison tool (14)
23.73%
An in-person event when available (16)
27.12%