Karzan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm struggling to decide whether to study English Literature at university of Edinburgh or university of Birmingham. I have got offers from both universities to start in September 2021.
I would be grateful if anybody could give some advice or share their experience.

Thank you very much in advance!
ARUStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I'm currently studying Drama and English Literature at my own university! My advice would be to look at the modules that each university offers for the course, even though its the same course it will definitely have different modules so have a look to see which university offers you modules that you are genuinely interested in. It is so important because Literature is very text heavy, if you aren't interested in what you are learning about you may struggle to keep up with the course!

Other things to think about would be things like location- how far is it from home? How do you feel about that? Do you like the surrounding area? What is accommodation like? Consider (if you are a poc) how diverse the campus is? And more recently, what is distance learning going to be like? (We hope by September things will be better but we have no idea what the world will be like so be very diligent about trying to find these kinds of things out!)

Hopefully this helps you to narrow things down a bit!

Good Luck!

ARU Zoe
henry1999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ARUStudents)
Hi!

I'm currently studying Drama and English Literature at my own university! My advice would be to look at the modules that each university offers for the course, even though its the same course it will definitely have different modules so have a look to see which university offers you modules that you are genuinely interested in. It is so important because Literature is very text heavy, if you aren't interested in what you are learning about you may struggle to keep up with the course!

Other things to think about would be things like location- how far is it from home? How do you feel about that? Do you like the surrounding area? What is accommodation like? Consider (if you are a poc) how diverse the campus is? And more recently, what is distance learning going to be like? (We hope by September things will be better but we have no idea what the world will be like so be very diligent about trying to find these kinds of things out!)

Good Luck!

ARU Zoe
100% agree. I would only add that it is also worth considering the method of assessment. If you loathe exams but enjoy coursework then you're likely to perform better on a course that assesses you with more coursework than exams- not to mention it's more enjoyable.

There are a tonne of variables and given both institutions are of a similar repute- I would make the decisions according to which course better suits your personal interests and preferences, as suggested above!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
See if you can find out more. Things to consider

Location of the university
Success rate
Progression opportunities
Reputation of the teacher
Quality of teaching
Resources available
Workload
Exams
Karzan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ARUStudents)
Hi!

Good Luck!

ARU Zoe
Thank you very much ARU Zoe, I will probably have to visit both universities.
Karzan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
See if you can find out more. Things to consider

Location of the university
Success rate
Progression opportunities
Reputation of the teacher
Quality of teaching
Resources available
Workload
Exams
Thanks a lot tinygirl96
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (243)
51.37%
No (230)
48.63%

Watched Threads