Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys - if you have anxiety/ know anything about it, how do you tell if you're just stressed or is it an anxiety attack?

ever since uni started I've been having breathing problems and sometimes I can hear my heartbeat pounding very loudly in my head and at that moment I cannot focus on anything at all. was wondering if anyone has advice to give...I'm scared to open up to my uni/ others as I don't want this to affect my studies. thanks
Anonymously.y
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your breathing gets heavier and tightness or chest all of a sudden making it harder to breathe so you’re kinda wheezing it would be a panic attack/anxiety attack. Normally you don’t always have tightness but when my anxiety acts up or ive been stressed for a while I get the tightness feeling for a few days. You should talk to someone about it, does your uni offer a teacher that you could approach?
hxnnxh_13.11.06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in yr9 at school and I have severe anxiety to the point where I have to see a leaning support and anxiety helper once a week. She's not a therapist, she works at the school and she works with students either for studies or anxiety. I go to her and she's really helpful, she teaches me coping mechanisms. They're 1-1s, and you feel safe and relaxed. Do you have any triggers to identify with and coping mechanisms? What are they? You don't need to have anxiety to have coping mechanisms. Maybe you could see someone like the person I go to if there's one at your uni and ask about it? I was referred by the deputy head pastoral, but I'm sure you can ask. Hope this helps
hijabibubbles
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey guys - if you have anxiety/ know anything about it, how do you tell if you're just stressed or is it an anxiety attack?

ever since uni started I've been having breathing problems and sometimes I can hear my heartbeat pounding very loudly in my head and at that moment I cannot focus on anything at all. was wondering if anyone has advice to give...I'm scared to open up to my uni/ others as I don't want this to affect my studies. thanks
heyy i have almost the exact same things as you! (not that its a good thing). My heart beats wayyy to fast when im stressed and i can never take full deep breaths. I talked to my GP about it (ive known her for over 5 years now) and she always said that she was prepared for this cause she could see the 'signs' or something. She reffered me to CAMHS and im having my first consultaiton with them! My GP also prescribed me some propanolol to control my heart rate (so my breathing / heart rate doesnt quicken). I would probably advise you to talk to your GP, especially because it seems to be affecting your studying (just like mines is) and see how it goes from there. Good luck with everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads