The Student Room Group

why do people remarry/redate after their partner dies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BluMoon06
oh lol i thought you were with op for a sec lmao

Lol... Hell naw! I hope the OP is not for real but just wanted to start a hypothetical discussion for the sake of it
Original post by Anonymous
what do you mean by that,

omg 😑
they mean they would leave you even if you were alive. how can you not get that?
I can understand your idea but I think it depends on the circumstance. I think it's very unfair and unrealistic to expect someone who is in their 30s to live the rest of their life alone, whereas if someone is in their 90s it might be different - however still completely fine if they choose to do so. It's not saying that they love the new partner any more or less than the other one, its just different
Original post by BluMoon06
omg 😑
they mean they would leave you even if you were alive. how can you not get that?

i don't get how i'm possessive for not wanting to be replaced,
Feels like you've watched too many movies.

In reality, you could form a stable and loving relationship with probably >a billion people in this world, under the right circumstance. Many people in small communities have little or no choice in the matter. If one relationship doesn't work out, be it due to death or something else, then another will come along if you allow it.
i don't get how i'm possessive for not wanting to be replaced,

why the hell you asking me lmao
Plenty of reasons why people choose to date again or remarry after the death of their first spouse.
As a source of intimate companionship, wanting a stable sex life with a regular partner, the childless hoping to be able to have biological children, parents wanting their young children to grow up with access to two parents/a suitable adult they know to take good care after them if they are orphaned,

The author Amy Krouse Rosenthal was dying of terminal cancer, wanted her husband of 26 years to be able to find love again after her death and wrote an essay entitled "You May Want to Marry My Husband". She passed away 10 days after publication.
My own religious fanatic grandmother is very hostile to the idea of remarriage or any sexual activity after the death of a spouse, to the point of convincing herself that any widow or widower who does so is evil, blatantly disloyal, immoral and guilty of "posthumous adultery".
She's been vitriolic about it since her late teens, is a widow herself and has spent more than half a century trying to find someone that agrees with her.
Lol... Hell naw! I hope the OP is not for real but just wanted to start a hypothetical discussion for the sake of it

i'm not possessive for not wanting to be replaced, and i started the discussion because i think its messed up to replace your partner after death,
Reply 68
to echo basically everything else, if a widower decides to remarry they are not 'replacing' the first spouse as it's impossible to replace a person or a relationship, just like it would be impossible for a parent to replace a child; there's only one of them.

if there is a replacement it's simple the position of spouse, of companionship, someone to spend time and finances with and maybe raise children with, which is very fortunate for the widower because it isn't easy being young and lonely and/or forever grieving your lost spouse. and, who says they love the second spouse more than their first? assuming there is love there at all it's just a different type of love because it's an entirely different relationship. everyone who's ever had a first love knows it's uniquly different compared to all subsequent loves, so no need to feel insecure about that.
Reply 69
If your dog dies, do you just decide you're never going to get another dog because it would be replacing them? No. Because you're not replacing them. You're just opening your heart up to a new one.
Original post by Joleee
to echo basically everything else, if a widower decides to remarry they are not 'replacing' the first spouse as it's impossible to replace a person or a relationship, just like it would be impossible for a parent to replace a child; there's only one of them.

if there is a replacement it's simple the position of spouse, of companionship, someone to spend time and finances with and maybe raise children with, which is very fortunate for the widower because it isn't easy being young and lonely and/or forever grieving your lost spouse. and, who says they love the second spouse more than their first? assuming there is love there at all it's just a different type of love because it's an entirely different relationship. everyone who's ever had a first love knows it's uniquly different compared to all subsequent loves, so no need to feel insecure about that.

no matter how unique and different you can still say which one you love more, i don't want to share my partner, and i don't want my role taken, i don't get how you don't find your partner being intimate or having sex with someone else scary,
I don't think I would remarry if I had a partner who died. I would be like a swan mating for life. However, I think it's okay for the living one to remarry if they were young and weren't together for very long. They should have a period of grieving first of course...
I don't think I would remarry if I had a partner who died. I would be like a swan mating for life. However, I think it's okay for the living one to remarry if they were young and weren't together for very long. They should have a period of grieving first of course...

Swans find new mates in the event of death :smile:
Reply 73
i get it you'll be lonely after your partners death and love will be the thing that will make you happy, but is there any other ways of finding happiness, i just view it as replacing the late partner, like not replacement as in similar but as in the role of the partner replacement, i hear people ask their partner if they'll remarry or redate after they die and they just get blindsided, like their partner automatically thinks they're wrong without listening to their reasoning, i also have to ask a catch 22 question, if you love the late partner more than the new isn't that using the new partner or if you love the new partner more than the late isn't that replacement, i actually hear widows/widowers say they love the new partner as much as the late, isn't that messed, i also think it's still infidelity because you didn't choose to end the relationship, you let death do it, and yes i know i'll be dead so i won't feel jealousy, but that doesn't make it right would you go take a crap on a dead man's grave because he's dead and can't feel anything, i'm really scared of my partner getting remarried or redating after my death, i'll never give this opinion up,

well, someone has to make that cash...
no matter how unique and different you can still say which one you love more, i don't want to share my partner, and i don't want my role taken, i don't get how you don't find your partner being intimate or having sex with someone else scary,

you're going to have to find a partner first and with your weird opinions about no remarriage in case of death and along with whatever other possessive traits you have, you may find it hard to get a partner. btw are you religious?
moving on is disrespect, i think they're more ways of moving on, i wouldn't want them to wast their life but i also wouldn't want them to replace me, also i don't think you answered the question,

My sister-in-law died a few years ago now. She wasn't that old but she wasn't young. I guess my brother could've gone on living his life as a widowed single dad, but he was miserable. The kids were miserable. They were just completely not functioning as a family.
Then he met someone - another widowed single parent with two kids. They've been happily married for over 6 years and they have a daughter together. They have a huge collection of pictures on the wall of their late spouses. They made a little memorial garden in the corner of the main garden.
Sure, I guess it's an unusual situation to have two people in such similar situations meeting and eventually marrying, but just because people remarry, doesn't mean they're replacing their late partner.
In your opinion, OP, should my brother have remained single for the rest of his life? My brother is completely different now to the months after he lost his first wife, but he hasn't replaced or forgotten her. How would you have suggested to move on?
Original post by Siannyallen
My sister-in-law died a few years ago now. She wasn't that old but she wasn't young. I guess my brother could've gone on living his life as a widowed single dad, but he was miserable. The kids were miserable. They were just completely not functioning as a family.
Then he met someone - another widowed single parent with two kids. They've been happily married for over 6 years and they have a daughter together. They have a huge collection of pictures on the wall of their late spouses. They made a little memorial garden in the corner of the main garden.
Sure, I guess it's an unusual situation to have two people in such similar situations meeting and eventually marrying, but just because people remarry, doesn't mean they're replacing their late partner.
In your opinion, OP, should my brother have remained single for the rest of his life? My brother is completely different now to the months after he lost his first wife, but he hasn't replaced or forgotten her. How would you have suggested to move on?

how many years did he wait? and i think it is sad he woudl've stayed miserable if he didn't find anyone, but i also think it's messed up that he found someone, because i think it's replacement, so i think it's messed up either way, so i don't know what to say,
Original post by Siannyallen

the kids stopped being miserable because their dad replaced their mum? Sounds far-fetched, their mum was still dead. I can see how the dad was happy to meet a new wife though.
Original post by Catherine1973
If I died tomorrow my partner would have 40+ years ahead I hope. I’d want him to be happy!

Nah actually. After I liked this comment I felt instant regret. If I left someone widowed, and they dated posthumously, I would haunt them every. ****ing. Day.

:h:
the kids stopped being miserable because their dad replaced their mum? Sounds far-fetched, their mum was still dead. I can see how the dad was happy to meet a new wife though.

the kids or the dad probably didn't think it was replacement, i wouldn't want to find someone after my partners death, i still think infidelity,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending