Is this a mistake on mechanics mark scheme ?

Watch
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Name:  Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 11.58.19.png
Views: 3
Size:  58.4 KB

I have calculated the forwards component parallel to the surface is :

z = 30 / cos(30) whereas they have done 30 * cos(30).

Name:  Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 11.58.10.png
Views: 5
Size:  51.7 KB

Am I right in saying that this is a mistake ?

Thanks.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The component must be smaller than the original force
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
The component must be smaller than the original force
Wait so does this mean they are correct ?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. What did you do?
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
seals2001
Rep:
?
Yes. What did you do?
Name:  Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 12.11.38.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  82.5 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But how the 30/cos(30)? The 30 is the hypotenuse. The original force is always the hypotenuse, so the legs are always smaller, as you'd expect.

It would be better to draw the triangle with the forces/plane in the original orientation. Makes errors easier to find.
seals2001
Rep:
?
But how the 30/cos(30)?
The 30 is the hypotenuse.
How is it ? It acts horizontally , i.e parallel with the surface and you want the length of the force parallel with the slant ? Right ?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
How is it ? It acts horizontally , i.e parallel with the surface and you want the length of the force parallel with the slant ? Right ?
No. The right angle is where the added leg hits the plane. The hypotenuse is the original horizontal force. The triangle isn't correct.
See the previous post, which I was editing.
seals2001
Rep:
?
No. The right angle is where the added leg hits the plane. The hypotenuse is the original horizontal force. The triangle isn't correct.
See the previous post, which I was editing.
Ohhh, I get what you are saying now. So the components give an additive effect, you cant have negative components, so the force you are resolving into components has to be bigger than its individual components. Thanks
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
Ohhh, I get what you are saying now. So the components give an additive effect, you cant have negative components, so the force you are resolving into components has to be bigger than its individual components. Thanks
Basically yes (but independent - perpendicular components - pythagoras). You don't get extra force, compared to the original, by changing the orientation.

The tip about drawing the right angled triangle in the same orientation as the original parts is useful as it's easier to spot stuff like this. Your original triangle had the extra leg perpendicular to 30 so it's component would (in theory) be zero, but not according to your triangle. Also the extra leg was not perpendicular to the plane. It's harder to spot when you rotate the triangle.
seals2001
Rep:
?
Basically yes (but independent - perpendicular components - pythagoras). You don't get extra force, compared to the original, by changing the orientation.

The tip about drawing the right angled triangle in the same orientation as the original parts is useful as it's easier to spot stuff like this. Your original triangle had the extra leg perpendicular to 30 so it's component would (in theory) be zero, but not according to your triangle. Also the extra leg was not perpendicular to the plane. It's harder to spot when you rotate the triangle.
You are great, thank you Sir.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise