The Student Room Group

A level physics vector scale drawing

Hi, the question says the wind blows from a bearing of 45 degrees, but I don’t understand the answer, as the angle looks mush bigger than 45 degrees.
I’ll attach a pic of the question, my answer and the textbooks answer.
I get that it’s a vector diagram which is why they’ve drawn a triangle and I’m assuming you could also draw it as a parallelogram, what I don’t understand is how the bearing of the wind in the textbook’s answer is 45 degrees.
Thanks!906BCAAA-6B0E-44D3-A2AD-943F96C4165C.jpeg

07893681-0C01-4FDC-BDF2-41DD1248FAD9.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
The dashed line is the ordinate (y axis). You are then looking at the quadrant in the graph which has negative values for both the abscissa (x-axis) and the ordinate (y axis). They've omitted drawing a abscissa (x-axis) but you can draw one in and maybe the diagram will then look clearer for you.

To add vectors, you use the law of vector addition to get another vector. To get the magnitude of this new vector i.e. its length (or any vector for that matter), you can use Pythagoras theorem.

The wind is blowing from a bearing of 045 degrees (North-East). This means it is blowing towards South-West. So the plane is trying to fly West, but the wind is pushing a little bit from the side so to speak.

Note, the compass diagram could be related to a graph as follow: North is positive y, South is negative y, East is positive x and West is negative x.

I am not sure if the next bits are correct but...

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest