Are these signs of autism?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m 17 female and I’m worried that I’m autistic
I would never get the ados test because if the results were autistic then that would upset me. I’d rather not know the truth tbh.
Here are my symptoms
Quiet
Has some/ few friends
Was bullied at school because I was v emotional and cried v easily since nursery
Had issues with friendships in high school such as lots of arguments with people , I dk if this was because I was bullied or not since I had experienced it from a young age.
Suffer from depression and anxiety and take medication for it
Been told by my family that I don’t always make eye contact and laugh at inappropriate things.
People at my work did not like me and never spoke to me or included me in their work conversations with other colleagues.
I do smile
I feel I do have good conversational skills
I feel I can hold a conversation and understand when it is my que to talk
I over worry about what people think of me and often worry that there is something wrong with me
My doctor said she thinks I have v mild traits of autism
The pastoral and school made me feel v insecure and wrote a letter to camhs without my permission describing all my symptoms- but making me out to look like I was v v low functioning.
I have average intelligence
I feel that I am socially aware and do understand sarcasm and hidden meanings- just my perception of me though idek how I appear to other people
I don’t always take things literally
I have had two relationships but they always broke up with me- I worry that I can’t sustain a relationship

Ik none of you are doctors on this sight but If any of yous know someone with this condition, perhaps if you recognise anything on here as a symptom it would help xxx
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would never get the ados test because if the results were autistic then that would upset me. I’d rather not know the truth tbh.
Here are my symptoms
Quiet
Has some/ few friends
Was bullied at school because I was v emotional and cried v easily since nursery
Had issues with friendships in high school such as lots of arguments with people , I dk if this was because I was bullied or not since I had experienced it from a young age.
Been told by my family that I don’t always make eye contact and laugh at inappropriate things.
People at my work did not like me and never spoke to me or included me in their work conversations with other colleagues.
I do smile
I over worry about what people think of me and often worry that there is something wrong with me
The pastoral and school made me feel v insecure and wrote a letter to camhs without my permission describing all my symptoms- but making me out to look like I was v v low functioning.
I feel that I am socially aware and do understand sarcasm and hidden meanings- just my perception of me though idek how I appear to other people
I have had two relationships but they always broke up with me- I worry that I can’t sustain a relationship

Ik none of you are doctors on this sight but If any of yous know someone with this condition, perhaps if you recognise anything on here as a symptom it would help xxx
Firstly, your school shouldn't have contacted CAMHS without your permission, that is a breach of your confidentiality and you have every right to complain to your school.

Secondly, a diagnosis of autism doesn't change who you are internally, you would still be the same person that you always have been. It does apply a label to you, however, which is a change and it can make you feel quite exposed/ vunrable at times.

Thirdly, none of those things that you mention certainly excludes the possibility of ASD. Difficulty in social situations is one symptom domain of autism, but so are restrictive and repetitive behaviours- you make no mention of them.

Fourthly, clinical anxiety can easily be mistaken for autism.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think so, then again I'm not a therapist, just going off my autistic brother's symptoms. It's always best to get a professional opinion rather than rely on self-diagnoses even if you don't want to. You hearing that you're autistic won't change anything about you. You are still you no matter what at the end of the day. I hope you find out the truth eventually
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
No, doesn't sound like it.
GremlinIAMH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Here are my symptoms
Quiet
Has some/ few friends
I do smile

I myself am an Autistic female (I ID as NB tho (they/them)). The most important thing to realise is that the traits of an Autistic male and female differ. Autistic females are much more likely to mask their traits which makes them look allistic (non-autistic). As a breakdown for you:

Quiet
-A neutral trait; I am quiet at times but also outgoing.

Has some/ few friends
-Though neutral, it's much more common for an Autistic to have a small group of friends than large.

-Emotional doesn't always mean Autistic, it would depend on what the emotional response was about.

-Unless the arguments come from misinterpretation or clashing view (black and white thinking) I don't think this would be a trait.

-Autistics are stupidly more likely to have depression and anxiety. I myself have GAD and OCD.

-Autistic trait

-Depends on a why some people just don't feel comfortable with letting others into a group

I do smile
-kinda irrelevant, nearly all Autistics smile

-Conversational skills don't necessarily show much as it's easy to misjudge ur own skills. For this it's better to take that understanding from others.

-Some Autistics can happily hold a conversation such as myself and understand their que to talk. I struggle only with the latter and holding a conversation on a phone or with an new individual of authority(?) like a doctor.

-More anxiety than Autistic. Probably less likely in Autistics but a lot still feel this way.

-IMO your either Autistic or not. V mild traits=well masked traits

-Your school's messed up. Also just for terminologies sake, there's actively a movement away from functioning labels to support labels.

-Autistics have low, average and high intelligence. Though low and high are more likely than the general population, there are still tons of Autistics that have average intelligence

-Some do some don't. I live off of sarcasm and hidden meaning. There are definitely deficits in my understanding sometimes but I'm usually okay. I sometimes take stuff literally or worry that it's literal when I know it's not

See above

-Can't really tell much from this.

Conclusion
You may or may not be Autistic, there isn't enough evidence to say, either way, most of these can be anxiety symptoms too. Autism is underdiagnosed in females by a considerable amount. Though things can be mistaken for Autism at this time it seems to be more common for females to be diagnosed with something else when they are Autistic than the other way around. Autism isn't a linear scale but a circle spider diagram with a mismatch of different traits. The only universal things with being Autistic is more or less is a love of routine and issues with social interaction(which can be a lot of things)

One of the problems is it seems you are looking at Autism wrong. It's not necessarily negative nor positive, there are both. It's just how you experience the world. Finding out your Autistic I will always say is a good thing especially if you have other mental conditions. This is due to MH conditions can be helped differently with Autistics and can help with identifying things that may be able to help, (I once spent an entire session with my CAMHS therapist just to come to the conclusion that is was and Autism thing and couldn't be helped). Additionally, generally, it means you have access to more support and have a better understanding of yourself.

I know you said it would upset you but I'd say try and get yourself comfortable with the idea, even if it takes years. Slowly is sometimes the best way to go around it.

I would highly recommend checking out the National Autistic Society's website (autism.org.uk) for more information. I would also recommend checking out the #ActuallyAutistic on social media (particularly Twitter) which can help with insight with both a good way to view being Autistic and insight into more traits (though at the moment it's mostly yelling at Sia).

Honestly take RDOS aspie quiz, though the Asperger's diagnosis doesn't exist anymore (thank god, there were so many issues with it) it's still one of the better quizzes.

I'm pretty sure this comes off as biased towards Autism but it was meant to be neutral, you really can't tell enough with what you have described. If you want the list of traits I put down when I was going through the stage of finding out whether I was Autistic or not just ask, I will happily share them (I was officially dxed in Jan2020, though had been exploring the idea since early 2018 possibly late 2017)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%