The Student Room Group

Alevel Maths - Circle Geometry- please help :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aethomson
I agree it’s a completely acceptable method when doing these questions and it’s actually one of the methods I was taught when doing my a level maths.

Most students would use discriminant for questions like these, in some cases like when you're told to complete the square of a quadratic and then given another equation of a line and told to see if they touch it would just be faster to think about it graphically since these can be 1 mark questions
Original post by skent6
Ngl when I saw the question I thought about using the discrimination b^2-4ac so u shouldn’t be shot down for saying that

True but I was trying to give another approach which is quicker in this question adn it actually helped the OP :smile:

The fact that my idea was not appreciated is so sad imho ...
Original post by Muttley79
True but I was trying to give another approach which is quicker in this question adn it actually helped the OP :smile:

The fact that my idea was not appreciated is so sad imho ...

Using a sketch and the graph would be faster to basically figure out that it doesn't touch, but how do you explain this to get marks? I understand how the discriminant method would be outlined in a mark scheme but less so this way
I was just trying to enlarge your problem solving approaches ... never mind I won't bother next time :frown:

Once again I never said your method wasn’t good or appreciated, I’m just saying that no method is better than another in problem style questions because they will be approached from all different angles by different people! I think it’s great that different methods are being explored in this thread. It’s the fact that you “shot me down” as someone else mentioned and the condescending tone you took when you first replied that seems unfair as my method was just as acceptable as yours.
(edited 3 years ago)
Once again I never said your method wasn’t good, I’m just saying that no method is better than another in problem style questions because they will be approached from all different angles by different people! I think it’s great that different methods are being explored in this thread. It’s the fact that you “shot me down” as someone else mentioned and the condescending tone you took when you first replied that seems unfair as my method was just as acceptable as yours.

how do you interpret tone from a message
Once again I never said your method wasn’t good, I’m just saying that no method is better than another in problem style questions because they will be approached from all different angles by different people! I think it’s great that different methods are being explored in this thread. It’s the fact that you “shot me down” as someone else mentioned and the condescending tone you took when you first replied that seems unfair as my method was just as acceptable as yours.

I did not shoot you down - my aproach is quicker and I think what the question setter wanted ... some methods are superior in Maths A level that's what makes a mathematician rather than someone who gets a Maths A level.
I did not shoot you down - my aproach is quicker and I think what the question setter wanted ... some methods are superior in Maths A level that's what makes a mathematician rather than someone who gets a Maths A level.

you sound a lot like my pure maths teacher lol that's exactly what he would say
Original post by Levi.-
Using a sketch and the graph would be faster to basically figure out that it doesn't touch, but how do you explain this to get marks? I understand how the discriminant method would be outlined in a mark scheme but less so this way

Show the distance from the centre to the line is > radius.
Original post by Levi.-
you sound a lot like my pure maths teacher lol that's exactly what he would say

Ha, ha - I'm female but yes it's the sort of thing I would be pleased to see. I have a collection of tasks I give Year7 that spots potential :smile:

I’ll agree to disagree that some methods are superior. Some methods are faster or harder or more suited to a specific question, but if you get the answer using your problem solving skills instead of learning off a method, that is what makes the mathematician instead of someone that gets a math a level. The ability to then go back and recognise other methods is also something that will make a great mathematician. The same way you and I have done by looking at each other’s! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I’ll agree to disagree that some methods are superior. Some methods are faster or harder or more suited to a specific question, but if you get the answer using your problem solving skills instead of learning off a method, that is what makes the mathematician instead of someone that gets a math a level.

How long have you taught Maths for?

A smart choice in method is what sets someone apart ...
How long have you taught Maths for?

A smart choice in method is what sets someone apart ...

I don’t teach I’m still a student, I just do some tutoring for my friends! I completely agree a choice of method will set people apart, my point is that being set apart will make no difference if someone using a different method can come to the same conclusion (they will do just as well). You will only begin to see this difference later on in uni etc.
I don’t teach I’m still a student, I just do some tutoring for my friends! I completely agree a choice of method will set people apart, my point is that being set apart will make no difference if someone using a different method can come to the same conclusion (they will do just as well). You will only begin to see this difference later on in uni etc.

If you tutor then you should appreciate that saving time by using a smart method is VERY valuable at all levels, even GCSE ... a few minutes quicker here and there means finishing the paper with time to check.
If you tutor then you should appreciate that saving time by using a smart method is VERY valuable at all levels, even GCSE ... a few minutes quicker here and there means finishing the paper with time to check.

I think you misinterpreted what I’ve said, I do completely appreciate that faster methods are important. I’m saying using a certain method to come to the correct answer should also be applauded and then, as I said previous, looking and recognising other methods that could have been used to then use them in the future is still a very effective way of learning. You have solved the problem yourself and also recognised different methods and approaches to the question. As I have also said there are many methods to answer one questions and I agree these should all be looked at to find the most effective for the student. I do think it’s very important people aren’t just repeating methods as it shows no understanding, just regurgitation. So allowing them to explore the question first, I’m my opinion, is a better approach.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you misinterpreted what I’ve said, I do completely appreciate that faster methods are important. I’m saying using a certain method to come to the correct answer should also be applauded and then, as I said previous, looking and recognising other methods that could have been used to then use them in the future is still a very effective way of learning. You have solved the problem yourself and also recognised different methods and approaches to the question. As I have also said there are many methods to answer one questions and I agree these should all be looked at to find the most effective for the student. I do think it’s very important people aren’t just repeating methods as it shows no understanding, just regurgitation. So allowing them to explore the question first, I’m my opinion, is a better approach.

So you DO agree that some methods are better than others for a specific question?
So you DO agree that some methods are better than others for a specific question?

No, I agree that some methods are faster and that some methods are more suited to specific students. E.g some may hate substitution so they would use your method, but some may like using the discriminant so they would use mine.
(edited 3 years ago)
No, I agree that some methods are faster and that some methods are more suited to specific students. E.g some may hate substitution so they would use your method, but some may like using the discriminant so they would use mine.

I totally disagree ... those who automatically opt for certain methods won't improve or get top grades.
I totally disagree ... those who automatically opt for certain methods won't improve or get top grades.

That is what I’m saying... it’s regurgitation. Exposing students to all different kinds of methods so they can pick which one they want to use for each question that will suit them is useful. I have already said there are many methods and I disagree with regurgitation. The fact that a student may prefer a method for a certain question doesn’t mean they are going to apply it to every question they do because it won’t be applicable to every question. However if they are approaching a question and a method they like is applicable they’re going to use it because they understand it more. I’ve already said look at and learn other methods so they can decide
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Alfie_12
Hey i did my mocks and i have all the 2020/2019 GCSE and A level papers, DM me on discord fatmangoose#2689

Which spec
You should find the eqn of radius and work from there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest