The Student Room Group

Chemistry help - Redox equations

Nitrogen monoxide reacts with chlorine to produce nitric acid (HNO3) and H+ ions.

i) Write a half-equation for the formation of nitiric acid and H+ from nitrogen monoxide and water.
For this, I only have NO + H2O -> HNO3 + H+
but don't know what else to do.

ii) Write a half-equation for the formation of chloride from chlorine ions

iii) Hence deduce an equation for the reaction which occurs when nitrogen monoxide reacts with chlorine.

If you could help and post even one answer, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by LaSuGi
Nitrogen monoxide reacts with chlorine to produce nitric acid (HNO3) and H+ ions.

i) Write a half-equation for the formation of nitiric acid and H+ from nitrogen monoxide and water.
For this, I only have NO + H2O -> HNO3 + H+
but don't know what else to do.

ii) Write a half-equation for the formation of chloride from chlorine ions

iii) Hence deduce an equation for the reaction which occurs when nitrogen monoxide reacts with chlorine.

If you could help and post even one answer, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, Please have a look at the attachment. It gives you the steps you need to carry out when writing a half equation, and explains how to combine two half equations into a full equation
Reply 2
Original post by Davies Chemistry
Hi, Please have a look at the attachment. It gives you the steps you need to carry out when writing a half equation, and explains how to combine two half equations into a full equation

Thank you so much. Really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest