kittens

Watch
abi786
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I have been looking for a kitten for months and I am wondering if anyone knows any good websites or breeders who sell kittens.
Thank you
ChickenPie67
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got a kitten from gumtree, sounds dodgy but it’s really not, messaged the seller she gave the address we popped over to her house to see the kittens and they were so cute, legally you need to wait until they’re like 4 weeks old because they need to stay with their mum so after 4 weeks we got the kitten and took him home! He’s 7 months old now and we got him at the perfect time since lockdown started we’ve spent so much time with him. Gumtree is definitely very good.

Remember to ask questions like “is the mum healthy” and also what food they eat, because changing their diet can result in bad poo etc and its not fun cleaning up a litter tray that has soft poo, also ask if the mum is healthy and maybe dont buy a kitten where the parents aren’t healthy because you’ll need to go to the vet for anything and everything and if your kitten has an actual problem the fees are crazy high
ChickenPie67
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh and also prices are always going to be high, since lockdown started everyone is getting a pet so the price of cats has definitely gone up
IlikeDonerKebab
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why would anyone scam a kitten on gumtree lol
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go to a rescue charity, not some plonker on classified ads who couldn’t be bothered to get their cats neutered.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where have you been looking? I’m sure there are plenty of kittens at rescue centres, but don’t totally dismiss older cats.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChickenPie67)
i got a kitten from gumtree, sounds dodgy but it’s really not, messaged the seller she gave the address we popped over to her house to see the kittens and they were so cute, legally you need to wait until they’re like 4 weeks old because they need to stay with their mum so after 4 weeks we got the kitten and took him home! He’s 7 months old now and we got him at the perfect time since lockdown started we’ve spent so much time with him. Gumtree is definitely very good.

Remember to ask questions like “is the mum healthy” and also what food they eat, because changing their diet can result in bad poo etc and its not fun cleaning up a litter tray that has soft poo, also ask if the mum is healthy and maybe dont buy a kitten where the parents aren’t healthy because you’ll need to go to the vet for anything and everything and if your kitten has an actual problem the fees are crazy high
Oh wow, lots to unpack here!

Be wary of Gumtree as it screams irresponsibility. As Admit-One said, it’s mostly people who couldn’t be bothered neutering their cat and have little interest in where the kittens end up. I don’t want to go into it too much as it’s upsetting, but all sorts of people can get the kittens from there, and they often don’t end up in nice places. I suppose in that way you’re preventing a kitten from ending up in a terrible place, but it’s also a dilemma as should you really be supporting that person? They could even be letting their cat get pregnant on purpose (which can take a toll on their health), just for some extra income.

Furthermore, 4 weeks is way too young! 8 is the generally accepted minimum, but 10 is optimal I believe. No hate to you as I’m sure you didn’t know, but please bear this in mind in future.

OP, the best place to get a cat is a rescue.

Source: someone who’s fallen out with family members due to irresponsible breeding practices, and who’s previously volunteered at a cats’ shelter.
ChickenPie67
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)

Be wary of Gumtree as it screams irresponsibility. As Admit-One said, it’s mostly people who couldn’t be bothered neutering their cat and have little interest in where the kittens end up. I don’t want to go into it too much as it’s upsetting, but all sorts of people can get the kittens from there, and they often don’t end up in nice places. I suppose in that way you’re preventing a kitten from ending up in a terrible place, but it’s also a dilemma as should you really be supporting that person? They could even be letting their cat get pregnant on purpose (which can take a toll on their health), just for some extra income.

Furthermore, 4 weeks is way too young! 8 is the generally accepted minimum, but 10 is optimal I believe. No hate to you as I’m sure you didn’t know, but please bear this in mind in future.

Source: someone who’s fallen out with family members due to irresponsible breeding practices, and who’s previously volunteered at a cats’ shelter.
ah my bad it is 7 😭 yeah you’re right there are many scammers and people who only want to profit, you’re right shelter would be more ethical
abi786
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)

Thank you. i have done quite a bit of reasearch and I thought that 4 weeks was too young. I would love to get a cat from a shelter, but all the cats are too far away and because of covid, there are strict rules for distance.
abi786
Rep:
?
oh and also prices are always going to be high, since lockdown started everyone is getting a pet so the price of cats has definitely gone up
i have realised that! cats that are normally in the hundreds have gone up to thousands!
candidate415
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
legally you need to wait until they’re like 4 weeks old because they need to stay with their mum so after 4 weeks we got the kitten and took him home!
8 weeks old. Its a legal requirement for breeders to keep kittens with their mum until 8 weeks old. 4 weeks is seriously too young and quite cruel.
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the cat mum
will be sad when you take her kittens away
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.18%
No (618)
50.82%

Watched Threads