The Student Room Group

A Level Options (sciences)

Hi,
I need to submit my A Level options in about a week and I need some advice. I really want to take Maths and Further Maths as it is my favourite subject and I think I would really enjoy it. I am also likely to take Chemistry and Biology alongside Maths and Further Maths. Is this combination too much? (I don't think I want to go into medicine btw but I would consider a mathematical/science related degree in the future)
I would recommend you do all 4 to start then drop one once you’re more decided on what you want to do in the future. Generally chemistry will open more doors than biology if you have to pick one of the two.
I know someone taking these exact A-Levels and they find them fine!
I take maths & further maths (along with compsci and economics), and further maths makes normal maths seem a lot easier in comparison! I'd say go for these a levels, as it'll give you a lot of options and if you enjoy maths i think you'll really enjoy maths and fm :smile:
It’s definitely a lot to take on, but if you get good grades and are willing to work hard it’s definitely doable! Bear in mind that it won’t really make a difference in terms of uni applications, so only do it if you really enjoy all of those subjects
Original post by MeleA
Hi,
I need to submit my A Level options in about a week and I need some advice. I really want to take Maths and Further Maths as it is my favourite subject and I think I would really enjoy it. I am also likely to take Chemistry and Biology alongside Maths and Further Maths. Is this combination too much? (I don't think I want to go into medicine btw but I would consider a mathematical/science related degree in the future)

If you enjoy the subjects and think you will do well in them then go for it.
Reply 5
Original post by physgradstudent
I would recommend you do all 4 to start then drop one once you’re more decided on what you want to do in the future. Generally chemistry will open more doors than biology if you have to pick one of the two.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 6
Original post by physgradstudent

Thanks for the advice!

Original post by casabonita
I know someone taking these exact A-Levels and they find them fine!
I take maths & further maths (along with compsci and economics), and further maths makes normal maths seem a lot easier in comparison! I'd say go for these a levels, as it'll give you a lot of options and if you enjoy maths i think you'll really enjoy maths and fm :smile:

Thank you so much! This has given me a lot of confidence to go for it 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Natasha Birch
It’s definitely a lot to take on, but if you get good grades and are willing to work hard it’s definitely doable! Bear in mind that it won’t really make a difference in terms of uni applications, so only do it if you really enjoy all of those subjects

Hi, I am getting 9s at GCSE in all of these subjects and am willing to work at them so hopefully it will be ok! At my school further maths is an extra so I could only drop FM if it was too much which hopefully it doesn't come to as I think I will really enjoy it.
Original post by MeleA
Hi, I am getting 9s at GCSE in all of these subjects and am willing to work at them so hopefully it will be ok! At my school further maths is an extra so I could only drop FM if it was too much which hopefully it doesn't come to as I think I will really enjoy it.

hi! i do maths, biology, chem and fm so if you have any questions im happy to help!
Reply 9
Original post by _Mia101
hi! i do maths, biology, chem and fm so if you have any questions im happy to help!

Hey! How do you find the workload for taking this combination and which subject do you enjoy the most and which do you find the hardest? I am a bit worried about the workload however, I generally rise to challenges. Also is it possible to get good grades across all of these subjects and still have a life?? ahaha (sorry there's so many qs) Thank youuu!
Original post by MeleA
Hey! How do you find the workload for taking this combination and which subject do you enjoy the most and which do you find the hardest? I am a bit worried about the workload however, I generally rise to challenges. Also is it possible to get good grades across all of these subjects and still have a life?? ahaha (sorry there's so many qs) Thank youuu!

workload?
- it is fine. i honestly have a lot of extra time to do what i want and still et my revision done. of course there are days that it can get a bit overwhelming, usually when i haven' t made flashcard in a month and i suddenly have a mountain to do but if you work as you go a few hours every day consistently you will be fine

subjects?
i like them all that's why i picked them! the most hmm... it depends on the day. i find maths pretty easy *here's to not jinxing that* (esp. the applied bits), but that is also because i've got in imo really good teachers. chemistry has the same questions over and over and just a few really hard ones (at least that's what ive seen so far) so if you do one paper you've pretty much covered that topic which means i don't spend very long on chem. biology has a lot of content, not hard content just a lot. ms can be a bit annoying but they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to seem. do some practice questions and you'll notice the key words. if all else fails waffle around the subject and you should pick up a couple marks here and there (that being said, most people in my biology class started the year of on E's and U's)

the hardest i'd say is further maths (the pure modules), i haven't gotten that far into it yet but i can see it's gonna be a bit of a headache :cry2:

do i have a life?
i like to thing i do :giggle:
erm but yeah, im planning on applying to med school and i have enough time to spend hours doing med school prep stuff and all sorts of courses, although sometimes it feels like i don't have enough time. i mean, there isn't much we can do cos of corona, but i can spend an entire day on facetime and not be behind in any way shape of form so.... :dontknow:

i think that's all your questions, if you have anymore lmk!
Reply 11
Original post by _Mia101
workload?
- it is fine. i honestly have a lot of extra time to do what i want and still et my revision done. of course there are days that it can get a bit overwhelming, usually when i haven' t made flashcard in a month and i suddenly have a mountain to do but if you work as you go a few hours every day consistently you will be fine

subjects?
i like them all that's why i picked them! the most hmm... it depends on the day. i find maths pretty easy *here's to not jinxing that* (esp. the applied bits), but that is also because i've got in imo really good teachers. chemistry has the same questions over and over and just a few really hard ones (at least that's what ive seen so far) so if you do one paper you've pretty much covered that topic which means i don't spend very long on chem. biology has a lot of content, not hard content just a lot. ms can be a bit annoying but they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to seem. do some practice questions and you'll notice the key words. if all else fails waffle around the subject and you should pick up a couple marks here and there (that being said, most people in my biology class started the year of on E's and U's)

the hardest i'd say is further maths (the pure modules), i haven't gotten that far into it yet but i can see it's gonna be a bit of a headache :cry2:

do i have a life?
i like to thing i do :giggle:
erm but yeah, im planning on applying to med school and i have enough time to spend hours doing med school prep stuff and all sorts of courses, although sometimes it feels like i don't have enough time. i mean, there isn't much we can do cos of corona, but i can spend an entire day on facetime and not be behind in any way shape of form so.... :dontknow:

i think that's all your questions, if you have anymore lmk!

Thank youu!! That was really helpful to read 😊

Quick Reply

Latest