Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I made a mistake last year applying for unis based on prestige rather than ones I genuinely want to go to. I have offers from Durham and Warwick for accounting and finance but I really want to live in the city. I have an offer from Leeds but I don't think I want to go there because it's quite local.

I'm thinking of taking a gap year and applying for the London unis (LSE, A&F and UCL, economics and stats). I'm curious what my chances are of getting in because it's so competitive and I don't want to waste a year just to get rejected. I don't have top academics but given the school I go to they're good apparently.

A levels-Business, economics, maths (and an EPQ)

Predicted grades-A*A*A respectively

Realistic grades-A*A*A* or A*AA if I'm unlucky in teacher assessments

GCSEs-5 A*s, 4 As, 1 B

Extra-curricular-Work experience in finance firm, CISI level 3 qualification, bronze and silvers in senior maths challenge each year, tried to start a social enterprise teaching kids financial education, represented school for business and economics, student investor challenge top 10%.

I'm aware the chances are slim, but how slim??
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately, your A-level combination rules you out for LSE - LSE views Economics and Business as overlapping subjects. In other words, they aren't sufficiently different to count as two separate subjects, so LSE would not view you as having 3 valid A-levels, the minimum requirement.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Unfortunately, your A-level combination rules you out for LSE - LSE views Economics and Business as overlapping subjects. In other words, they aren't sufficiently different to count as two separate subjects, so LSE would not view you as having 3 valid A-levels, the minimum requirement.
Yeah I thought that was a problem. Though Warwick has the same policy and I was still given an offer there so I don't know how strict they are with enforcing it.
marygrace123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah I thought that was a problem. Though Warwick has the same policy and I was still given an offer there so I don't know how strict they are with enforcing it.
I mean, if your really passionate about applying to a London university it is always worth giving it a shot. You have five places to fill, which gives you choice and leniency, and I don't believe UCL have the same policy. Just ensure you do well in your LNAT and make sure that you want to take a gap year- it's a big decision.
Last edited by marygrace123; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.64%
No (458)
48.36%

Watched Threads