Any positive and negative experiences of teach first?

Watch this thread
Pollyannasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, I'm a first year Education Studies (Primary) student and I've started looking at routes into teaching, and I'm weighing my options between a PGCE and Teach First.

There's not really a lot of literature online about peoples experiences with teach first, so if anyone on here has taken part I would greatly appreciate some of your thoughts on the process and whether you came out of it glad you did it or regretful you didn't choose a different route.

Positive and negative experiences welcomed, I'm just trying to get a well rounded view.

For now, I'm leaning towards Teach First since I love their ethos, love a challenge and am mentally prepared for the insane workload.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I haven't taken part in teach first, but I know a few people who have and have heard both the good and the bad.

I think if you end up in a supportive school, it can be great- I know people who have enjoyed it and really thrived!

However, I also know people who have really struggled, and been left in schools where they really shouldn't have been (i.e. where large chunks of the department left, and they were no longer given mentoring/support).

I do think people are more likely to share their negative experiences online, but the impression I get from the people I know is that Teach First is a great route as long as nothing goes wrong. But if things do go wrong, you are very much left to sink or swim- whereas with a PGCE you have more external support and the uni can help you out if there is a real problem at your placement school.

Have you thought about Schools Direct as a kind of best of both worlds option?
Pollyannasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've not really looked into school direct at all, mostly because I want to teach internationally and want a PGCE out of it as well as qts, and I want to be part of a community of teacher trainees etc which I assume you aren't really part of with schools as it's just you and the school? whereas with teach first and the direct pgce route its my understanding that you have summer institute (teach first) and uni days etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (181)
41.32%
The paper was reasonable (195)
44.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.9%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.25%

Watched Threads