The Student Room Group

Should we suspend Scottish devolution?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by MatureStudent37
It doesn’t constitute as law.

If you want to go down the legal route though, the SNP has no legal recourse to call for a referendum. That’s in the legislation.

There was no legal recourse for the 2014 referendum. But it was held because at the time everybody said that we’ll do this once and the topic is closed for a generation.

We’re still reeling from the damage that that referendum caused due to the toxicity of the SNP. Intimidating politicians. Shouting people down. Putting personal details of those against them on line.

I’ve seen Scotland go from a usual banter amongst the home nations to post 2014 these types of loonies coming out of the woodwork.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/cops-probe-pro-independence-video-23407183

It should t come as a surprise. The SNP aligned itself with Sinn Fein in the late 70s and early 80s. They’ve taken Irish republicanism and put a Caledonian spin on it.

We are of course talking about a party that will do anything and side with anybody in order to promote its cause. The SNP were putting feelers out in WW2 to the Nazis when it looked like Britain was loosing. They went back into their holes like many other loonies when it became apparent we weren’t on our knees anymore.

Sorry, lost me there.
Original post by QE2
Sorry, lost me there.

The SNP asked for a referendum which was granted . It was held in 2014.

The SNP said it was a once in a generation referendum.

The SNP has no legal basis for any referendum.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19068167.court-rejects-bid-indyref2-ruling-hypothetical-academic-premature/?fbclid=IwAR1tw8EzYIWRywV_RtyB2c-iCsBuGM3E83P1gwPfOkRavRZgrxoh29hzQ7Y

The last referendum has caused significant damage to society. Pushing for another referendum will creat more division.

We’re now seeing some SNP supporters threatening violence. .
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 382
The SNP asked for a referendum which was granted . It was held in 2014.

Yes, and?...

The SNP said it was a once in a generation referendum.

Yes, and?...

The SNP has no legal basis for any referendum.

The Scottish Parliament will pass the relevant legislation, it is not the SNP's decision.

The last referendum has caused significant damage to society. Pushing for another referendum will creat more division.

If the Scottish people vote in the majority for independence, that's all there is to it. The fact that Brexit is a catastrophe does not make any difference.

Are they? Against who and about what? Details please.

BTW, do you think government should always abandon policy if someone threatens violence over it?
Original post by QE2
Yes, and?...

Yes, and?...

The Scottish Parliament will pass the relevant legislation, it is not the SNP's decision.

If the Scottish people vote in the majority for independence, that's all there is to it. The fact that Brexit is a catastrophe does not make any difference.

Are they? Against who and about what? Details please.

BTW, do you think government should always abandon policy if someone threatens violence over it?

The Scottish Government led by the SNP is legally not allowed to pass that legislation in Holyrood . They can try, which I suspect they might. But I suspect that that will be done only to generate more animosity.

I am merely highlighting the fact that the SNP took guidance from Sinn Fein on how to push its political agenda.

Barring a few oddballs over the years, Scottish nationalist have been loveable rogues with a romantic agenda. The SNP have ramped up the rhetoric to the stage where there’s some rather crazy individuals coming out of the Woodward now.

We have the SNP handing out politically charged material in our schools. Some exceedingly dubious, looking more illegal as the days go by, activity in the upper echelons on ScotGov. Money being withheld from sections of society in order to generate grievances. Failing education standards.

Fortunately, we’re out of the EU now so the SNP need to answer lots and lots of questions about what they’re planning rather than just promoting hostility.
Reply 384
Original post by QE2

Even assuming The Lord Advocate doesn't block it, howd you propose it'd get Royal Assent?

Or are you assuming Keatings will win?

Edit
Just seen about the Keatings case, can kicked
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 385

If its good enough for Mandela...
Original post by Quady
If its good enough for Mandela...

I’m not oppressed. I never have been. No matter how much the SNP push the grievance line out.

In no way have I been persecuted.

Although, to be fare . Mandela was in prison for 27 years. About a generation.
Reply 387
I’m not oppressed. I never have been. No matter how much the SNP push the grievance line out.

Although, to be fare . Mandela was in prison for 27 years. About a generation.

Perhaps America is a better example of violence to achieve independence tbh
Original post by Quady
Perhaps America is a better example of violence to achieve independence tbh

Are you implying we don’t have any representation in government?

Is this the American situation where Scottish troops were actively involved in fighting against the American revolutionaries?

At the same time revolutionaries, backed by France and Spain exploited a tense situation for political gain that resulted in their exercise backfiring against them.

sorry to burst your bubble. I’m not oppressed. Never have been.

we had a once in a generation referendum on the issue 6 years back.

As far as I can see I’ve got an ineffective devolved government trying to deflect away from their own failings
Reply 389
Original post by QE2
Average income, perhaps but the disparity between rich and poor is increasing, as is the proportion of people living in poverty.
Classic signs of a Third World Country.

Well, poverty is a measure of inequality - so it'd not really be an 'as is' so much as a 'thus'.

In any case, that's not true. There is, in fact, no real shift in the GINI coefficient in the UK - it's moved a little here and there, but been relatively stable for 30 years. Ditto the 'poverty' rate - the most recent ONS figures have it where it was in 2002/03 when their data trend starts: BHC it's 17% (down 1ppt on 2002/03) and AHC it's 22% (n/c from 2002/03).

Equally there are plenty of wealthier countries than us with higher levels of inequality, and plenty of poorer ones with lower levels. Yes, poorer countries tend, on the whole, to be more equal - but that's largely a symptom, rather than an indicator, of being less developed.
Reply 390
Original post by QE2
I've checked the legislation covering that referendum and can't find anything restricting it to "once in a generation". Could you provide a link? Thanks.

The legislation provided for a single, time-limited referendum. By that reckoning, there's no option for a second referendum ever.

If you want a reference, it's s.3 of the Scotland Act 1998 (Modification of Schedule 5) Order 2013.

I find the reliance on the SNP and Scottish Government's once-in-a-generation pledges rather awkward really. Ultimately, they shouldn't have any control over the issue. The UK Government can point to their hypocrisy, lies and even say 'we agree with 2014 SNP policy, not 2021 SNP policy' - but to suggest that the SNP have somehow the authority to bind on anything like this is silly.

It is the UK Government that is the arbiter, ultimately, of these questions and has a legitimate role in ensuring fairness. It can, quite reasonably, state that (i) the result should be binding and (ii) there is a legitimate reason to guard against a neverendum-style outcome. The result can be the same - once in a generation - but let's not hide behind the SNP having said it, even if that might be politically convenient.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L i b
The legislation provided for a single, time-limited referendum. By that reckoning, there's no option for a second referendum ever.

If you want a reference, it's s.3 of the Scotland Act 1998 (Modification of Schedule 5) Order 2013.

I just used this one.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=once+in+a+generation+referendum+
Reply 392
Are you implying we don’t have any representation in government?

Is this the American situation where Scottish troops were actively involved in fighting against the American revolutionaries?

At the same time revolutionaries, backed by France and Spain exploited a tense situation for political gain that resulted in their exercise backfiring against them.

sorry to burst your bubble. I’m not oppressed. Never have been.

we had a once in a generation referendum on the issue 6 years back.

As far as I can see I’ve got an ineffective devolved government trying to deflect away from their own failings

I'll put you down as mebby on independence then?
Reply 393
Original post by L i b

I find the reliance on the SNP and Scottish Government's once-in-a-generation pledges rather awkward really. Ultimately, they shouldn't have any control over the issue. The UK Government can point to their hypocrisy, lies and even say 'we agree with 2014 SNP policy, not 2021 SNP policy' - but to suggest that the SNP have somehow the authority to bind on anything like this is silly.

It is the UK Government that is the arbiter, ultimately, of these questions and has a legitimate role in ensuring fairness. It can, quite reasonably, state that (i) the result should be binding and (ii) there is a legitimate reason to guard against a neverendum-style outcome. The result can be the same - once in a generation - but let's not hide behind the SNP having said it, even if that might be politically convenient.

The legislation didn't provide for a referendum prior to the modification. By that reckoning, there was no option for a first referendum ever.

Like the folk who point to the 3rd amendment. It was a bloody amendment, it can be amended by another amendment lol

I dont think there is any question that a second referendum can happen, just as the first, with a section 30.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 394
The Scottish Government led by the SNP is legally not allowed to pass that legislation in Holyrood . They can try, which I suspect they might. But I suspect that that will be done only to generate more animosity.

The Scottish Parliament can, and almost certainly will, vote to hold a referendum. There will then be a variety of possible political and legal processes.
Ironically, the only way to stop it would be for Johnson to wilfully go against "the will of the people". Even if he does, it is still possible for the referendum to go ahead.

I am merely highlighting the fact that the SNP took guidance from Sinn Fein on how to push its political agenda.

And?...

Barring a few oddballs over the years, Scottish nationalist have been loveable rogues with a romantic agenda. The SNP have ramped up the rhetoric to the stage where there’s some rather crazy individuals coming out of the Woodward now.

Examples?
There are always a few extremists when it comes politics, whatever the issue. Remember that a Labour MP was assassinated over Brexit.

We have the SNP handing out politically charged material in our schools. Some exceedingly dubious, looking more illegal as the days go by, activity in the upper echelons on ScotGov. Money being withheld from sections of society in order to generate grievances. Failing education standards.

References?
Reply 395
Original post by Quady
Even assuming The Lord Advocate doesn't block it, howd you propose it'd get Royal Assent?

If the legislation is passed, it will get Royal Assent. It hasn't been refused for over 300 years. The Queen doesn't have the balls.

Or are you assuming Keatings will win?
Edit
Just seen about the Keatings case, can kicked

That case does not stop the process.

If the SNP win the kind of majority expected, the Scottish Parliament will vote on holding a referendum. It is then up to Westminster to block democratic self-determination, a right guaranteed by Article 1 of the UN Charter.
You can take the country out of the colonies, but you can't take colonialism out of the country.
Reply 396

There were plenty of South Africans who didn't feel oppressed or persecuted either, no matter how much the ANC pushed the grievance line out.
Kinda the problem really.
Reply 397
Original post by L i b

The Referendums (Scotland) Act 2020 implies that there is the option for multiple referendums.
Original post by QE2
The Scottish Parliament can, and almost certainly will, vote to hold a referendum. There will then be a variety of possible political and legal processes.
Ironically, the only way to stop it would be for Johnson to wilfully go against "the will of the people". Even if he does, it is still possible for the referendum to go ahead.

And?...

Examples?
There are always a few extremists when it comes politics, whatever the issue. Remember that a Labour MP was assassinated over Brexit.

References?

Section 30 my dear.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-scotland-referendum-explainer/explainer-can-scotland-hold-another-independence-referendum-idUSKBN2A51LQ

Holyrood doesn’t have the power to call
a Referendum. Sturgeon could try, and even might. She needs to create maximum grievance to deflect from poor performance.

Johnson doesn’t need to stop it. Any member of the public can stop it by taking scotgov to court. That may take quite a few years to sort out. so no, sturgeon can’t make one happen, although she does seem to be ignoring the law an awful lot at the moment.

Obviously by that time the manufactured grievances over brexit, the pandemic and proper review of the SNPs performance will come under greater scrutiny.

Sinn Fein are the political wing of a terrorist organisation. Of course the SNP can follow
Sinn Féin’s political strategy of animosity and division. But it doesn’t really help
Long term.

Remember, no matter how poor Salmonds plan was he had a plan. Sturgeon seems to be threatening this as she’s currently dealing with a civil war within the SNP ranks.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2020/12/why-civil-war-breaking-out-snp

remember though, sturgeons dealing with this.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18721009.final-cost-alex-salmond-legal-fiasco-not-possible-calculate/

amd the current enquiry that is going to see a significantly bad fall out for the SNP whichever way it goes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55593864

so we currently have a scotgov enquiry into (potential) illegal activity by FM Sturgeon et al, that won’t allow the plaintiff to show documents in support of his complaint against FM Sturgeon. But will allow the CEO of the SNP to give evidence in the FM sturgeons defence. But the CEO of the SNP of FM Sturgeons husband.

all we need now is a modern day Roland Fleiser to oversee the case.

Sturgeons shafted. Brexit has removed scrutiny of ScotGovs activities. She’s ramped up the crazies. Realises that out of the EU, regionalism is about to die out and is about to go down in history as the politician that spunked £millions of taxpayers money up the wall defending her position.

anything else his like to know?
Reply 399
Original post by QE2
If the legislation is passed, it will get Royal Assent. It hasn't been refused for over 300 years. The Queen doesn't have the balls.

That case does not stop the process.

If the SNP win the kind of majority expected, the Scottish Parliament will vote on holding a referendum. It is then up to Westminster to block democratic self-determination, a right guaranteed by Article 1 of the UN Charter.
You can take the country out of the colonies, but you can't take colonialism out of the country.

Sorry, you missed how you'll get past the Lord Advocate for the legislation to move to a vote in the Scottish Parliament.

The UN charter? I seem to recall the UK has a seat at the UN but Scotland doesn't. Unlike Taiwan and Somaliland. Hopefully we will join the UN soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending