The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham vs Manchester

hey, im Aidan and I've narrowed my choices down to uni choices to university of Manchester or durham. im stuck between the two as both offer very different things for me. I like durham for the prestige, the look of the uni , the connections you can make for later life, the fact that it is a target/semi target university for investment banks and the attitude around campus of academic excellence. however I like UoM because I prefer the course much more, it is more of a city university, there's more to do and from what it seems like it. its more respected internationally.

ultimately it comes down to reputation vs the course and I really don't know which one to pick. can anyone give me any suggestions
What are you applying for?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lucy131213
What are you applying for?

For Durham business and management and for Manchester business, finance and economics. The economics part is the part that draws me to the course
Original post by Aidan2411
For Durham business and management and for Manchester business, finance and economics. The economics part is the part that draws me to the course

Ah okay. I've applied for maths at Durham. I haven't ever looked into Manchester Uni but I've heard its good. I guess they are very different unis but you have plenty of time to decide between them. The main reason I like Durham is the collegiate system which makes it different from most other unis. Have you looked into how flexible the course is at Durham because you may be able to take economics modules in later years?
I'm from Manchester and studying at Durham (I'm first year business & management at Durham).

Pick Durham, it's a nicer place to live. I've not been scared leaving my accommodation once. Doubt I'd be saying the same about most of the student parts of Manchester....
Reply 5
Original post by S.Hoffstader
I'm from Manchester and studying at Durham (I'm first year business & management at Durham).

Pick Durham, it's a nicer place to live. I've not been scared leaving my accommodation once. Doubt I'd be saying the same about most of the student parts of Manchester....

how is the course, looking at the modules there not really to my liking. how are you finding it
Original post by Aidan2411
how is the course, looking at the modules there not really to my liking. how are you finding it

It's alright. If it was in-person it would certainly be better. Intro to Bus Research isn't much to my liking, but of the 6 I'd say the other 5 are fairly decent. You thought much about the different colleges within Durham?
Very very different experiences. My son did his masters at Manchester and my daughter is at Durham. The college system at Durham makes it much easier to meet people and make friends. Manchester is very diverse and accomodation spread around campus so even though there is tons of stuff happening it is hard at first to find your friends especially in Covid times. Safety wise Durham is far safer than Manchester where there is a LOT of petty crime. However if you prefer the course Manchester maybe the better option (as 3 uears is a long time to study something you are not keen on) but you do have to make more of an effort to meet people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending