The Student Room Group

Engish literature mock

i need HELP urgently i have been doing english lit as an A level for a month and a half now and i have been doing good. But i have a mock coming up on tuesday and i was wondering if you can find context and quotes for the theme of villian in the novel dracula and the blood chamber by angela carter as i need good pointd but everything ive thought of is not really good
Original post by rosiee2287
i need HELP urgently i have been doing english lit as an A level for a month and a half now and i have been doing good. But i have a mock coming up on tuesday and i was wondering if you can find context and quotes for the theme of villian in the novel dracula and the blood chamber by angela carter as i need good pointd but everything ive thought of is not really good

Firstly, try not to panic. :smile: This will be okay.

Secondly, can you map the plot of Dracula over the chapters? Where might the aspect of villainy be most prominent in the plot do you think?
An easy one is when we first meet Dracula.

Could you explain what you mean by "find context"? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Firstly, try not to panic. :smile: This will be okay.

Secondly, can you map the plot of Dracula over the chapters? Where might the aspect of villainy be most prominent in the plot do you think?
An easy one is when we first meet Dracula.

Could you explain what you mean by "find context"? :smile:

In a level english literature by context i mean historical facts for example dracula is from transylvania which links to the eastern cultural whom believe in supernatural monstrous and are seen as more rebellious in comparison to the West who are more religious and pure. This links to orintalism.
In a level english literature by context i mean historical facts for example dracula is from transylvania which links to the eastern cultural whom believe in supernatural monstrous and are seen as more rebellious in comparison to the West who are more religious and pure. This links to orintalism.

Thank you. So you've provided some context already there - when talking about the context of the setting. What about the context of its writing?
At what time was the novel written? Had Edward Said's work on Orientalism been published by that point?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Thank you. So you've provided some context already there - when talking about the context of the setting. What about the context of its writing?
At what time was the novel written? Had Edward Said's work on Orientalism been published by that point?

See the question is a compare and contrast question: ‘The most fascinating character in gothic fiction is the villain.
See the question is a compare and contrast question: ‘The most fascinating character in gothic fiction is the villain.

And do you want help in how to answer the question or help in establishing quotes and contexts.
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
And do you want help in how to answer the question or help in establishing quotes and contexts.

quotes and context
Pick out a few different ones
quotes and context

Yes, and the advice so far has been about investigating the context of when the book is written, mapping the plot of the novel over its chapters and identifying key scenes to do with villainy from that. The advice has also been to seek out extracts where villainous characters are introduced to the reader.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending