user342
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My textbook says that is you create a stationary wave with microwaves, there is no signal at the nodes. Why is this?
My notes also say that of you create a stationary wave with sound waves, the sound is louder at nodes and hardly any sound at anti nodes. I understand this is something to do with the pressure at nodes and anti nodes. But why is this different to the microwaves?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by user342)
My textbook says that is you create a stationary wave with microwaves, there is no signal at the nodes. Why is this?
My notes also say that of you create a stationary wave with sound waves, the sound is louder at nodes and hardly any sound at anti nodes. I understand this is something to do with the pressure at nodes and anti nodes. But why is this different to the microwaves?
I think you might have got it wrong - if you sketch a stationary wave the anti nodes are the maximums and the nodes are the zeros. You detect maximum sound or microwaves at the anti nodes and minimum at the nodes.

There's a bit of complexity with standing sound waves in pipes... you get a node at the closed end and an anti node at the open end - I wonder if that's what's confused you.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The "why is this?" is referring to the creation of stationary wave with microwave or no signal at the nodes.

...My notes also say that of you create a stationary wave with sound waves, the sound is louder at nodes and hardly any sound at anti nodes. I understand this is something to do with the pressure at nodes and anti nodes. But why is this different to the microwaves?
The difference is due to the type of wave and how do we detect the sound and signal for the 2 types of waves.

As sound is a longitudinal wave, we tend to detect the sound based on fluctuation of pressure. In a stationary sound wave, a displacement node is a pressure anti-node while a displacement antinode is a pressure node. So we tend to hear a loud sound at the pressure anti-node which is a displacement node.

However, microwave is an electromagnetic wave and a transverse wave. In a stationary microwave, there is only "displacement" node and anti-node based on the strength of the electric field.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.52%
Uncertainty around my education (216)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (153)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (198)
14.21%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (60)
4.31%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (81)
5.81%
Loneliness (124)
8.9%
Financial worries (48)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (64)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (66)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (120)
8.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (128)
9.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed