Frozetman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have to hand in my A-Level options by next week and I'm considering doing French or Spanish as a 4th option. I already know I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I'm currently predicted a grade 8 in French & Spanish for GCSE
Harrya2020
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Frozetman)
I have to hand in my A-Level options by next week and I'm considering doing French or Spanish as a 4th option. I already know I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Lots of people do languages as a 4th. I personally found the content to be slim and the workload fairly low (as long as you expose yourself to the language through other media as part of your normal life)
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At AS level, there isn't that much of jump compared to GCSE so if you are currently finding them easy, go of it. There is a much, much bigger jump between AS and A2 though.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What are you hoping to do after A Levels?
OL12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry I'm a bit confused as to what the question is 😂 are you asking about choosing between french and Spanish? (Btw I do Spanish and Italian a level and Iove them you should defo do a language!)
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do spanish a level and its so fun! I haven't found it that much of a step up and the contents not that bad really. Its really nice because its so many subjects in one - bit of history, bit of politics, bit of literature. Doing it alongside sciences is so nice because its a bit of a break from the other subjects
Frozetman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
What are you hoping to do after A Levels?
Medicine at University
Frozetman
Rep:
?
Thanks for the responses, I wasn't sure if a language would be too much of an additional workload, I think I'll add it to my application. This was rlly helpful!
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine at University
My own degree is in Modern Languages and I will always encourage people who want to do languages; the one thing I would say in your case is to make sure that doing an extra A Level doesn't impact on your chances of getting top grades in the A Levels you need, which will be your Maths, Chemistry and Biology A Levels. There is so much competition for places to read Medicine, I wouldn't want you to take any risks with your grades.

There are ways of keeping up your languages; I've come across some magazines for people doing languages at school recently and they look very good. I think that you get access to online material too. You could do this and keep up your language interests.
Frozetman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
My own degree is in Modern Languages and I will always encourage people who want to do languages; the one thing I would say in your case is to make sure that doing an extra A Level doesn't impact on your chances of getting top grades in the A Levels you need, which will be your Maths, Chemistry and Biology A Levels. There is so much competition for places to read Medicine, I wouldn't want you to take any risks with your grades.

There are ways of keeping up your languages; I've come across some magazines for people doing languages at school recently and they look very good. I think that you get access to online material too. You could do this and keep up your language interests.
In some schools I looked at they offered it as an EPQ. Do you think this would be better than doing an A-Level for it?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In some schools I looked at they offered it as an EPQ. Do you think this would be better than doing an A-Level for it?
Hmm ... not sure.

I've asked Ecolier to chip in on this, he knows about applications to read Medicine and how to give yourself the best chance.
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine at University
Ive applied for medicine with bio chem and spanish and it absolutely doesn't affect your application and its a major asset tbh - think being aware of how you communicate type thing

I'd say if your not sure about doing 4, pick the top three - even if that doesn't include maths
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cactussalad)
Ive applied for medicine with bio chem and spanish and it absolutely doesn't affect your application and its a major asset tbh - think being aware of how you communicate type thing

I'd say if your not sure about doing 4, pick the top three - even if that doesn't include maths
It shows OP has other skills and that they're not just a one trick 'STEM' pony
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I wouldn't do four subjects, just pick Biology, Chemistry and Maths or one of the languages - whichever you're most likely to get an A / A* in.

Unless you wanted to apply to Cambridge, then you should take Maths as your third subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (610)
49.15%
No (631)
50.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise