IBstruggles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been struggling with HL math AA for the past month and I’m starting to feel that I may not be fit for the course. I was considering switching to SL math and making English HL Lang lit my third HL. Is it too late for me to change subjects? I’m in the second term of my first year of IB.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll need to discuss it with your IB coordinator. Ultimately it is up to them and the teachers for the subjects to make the arrangements. In terms of assessments, assuming the structure and timings of assessment submission is similar, it might well still be possible. The key issue is probably more that you will likely need to swap to English HL before any IAs are submitted, as the mark schemes for them will be different for HL and SL (and the actual structure of the IA may vary e.g. time for the oral exam). Alternately you may need to redo some IAs to catch up.

Anecdotally at my school it wasn't uncommon for people to swap from HL Maths to SL (or SL to Maths Studies, which no longer exists), although usually it happened at the start or end of the academic year (i.e. just after the start of year 12, at the end of year 12, or just at the start of year 13) although I suppose a few people might have swapped in the middle. However this was over 10 years ago and the format of a lot of assessment has changed in IB so, I can't guarantee it's indicative of anything. In terms of swapping to English specifically one thing to note is that you will probably have more literary texts to study in HL so you might need to catch up reading some of the things you missed so far, which may end up being quite a lot of reading to do!
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It shouldn’t be too late as people in my school have switched far later. At this point, it is unlikely that English HL has done any IAs - I take English HL Literature so can’t speak for Lang and Lit, but we only started on HL content/IAs in March of IBY1. The mark scheme and content for paper 1 may be different, but overall the change won’t be dramatic. It’s better to make the switch now if possible, so I would approach your IB coordinator and see what can be done. All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (596)
49.17%
No (616)
50.83%

Watched Threads