ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I know there's a lot of active Cambridge threads active at the minute so apologies to add another, but I thought it might be nice for people to share their thoughts for today specifically on a thread. The only thread I've seen on this has been a "no discussion" one, but as it's only a couple of hours now until people could potentially get offers, I figured there's no harm in this. Feel free to post either in the run-up, or when you hear back!

I'll leave a quick template if anyone wants to use it, but you can definitely add to it for your own if you think I've missed something, or take the conversation wherever you'd like. Good luck!!

Subject:
College:
GCSEs or equivalent:
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?):
Other academic qualifications:
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10?

If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it?

Any other universities got your attention?

Any details of the news you want to share? (What time was it, what were you doing, who did you tell first, what was the outcome, etc.?)

Most importantly, how do you feel?
Last edited by ashtolga23; 1 month ago
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
For me, it's like this:
Subject: English (Q300)
College: Queens'
GCSEs or equivalent: 9999998888 (six 9s, four 8s)
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): A*A*A* predicted
Other academic qualifications: Currently completing an EPQ.
How confident are you, on a scale of 1-10?
Maybe 7 currently, but it fluctuates. The ELAT went well and the interviewers challenged me, but I'm not sure they got too much substance out of me. Competition is steep!
If you get an offer, will you be accepting it?
I'm really not sure yet. Cambridge has so many positives, such as the teaching methods, the prestige, the connections, the location, and so on. I just don't know if the course is suited to me, or whether I'd be happy there.
Durham is looking pretty good, if only I could get an offer! I definitely wouldn't be disappointed to attend.
Any details of the news you want to share?
N/A
A little nervous. I don't actually know what I want, so I think this will really decide it. I'm truly not sure how I'd react to either outcome. I'll just be glad to know.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subject: Maths
College: Selwyn
GCSEs or equivalent: 9A*s, an 8 and a 7
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): A*A*A*A* achieved (2019)
Other academic qualifications: Nope haha
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? 2/10, it's not looking good
If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? I'm not sure, I love the course and the uni but I'd need to consider whether my mental health will be strong enough to cope with the intensity
Any other universities got your attention? Most likely going to end up at Warwick if not Cambridge, so very grateful to have an unconditional offer there!
Any details of the news you want to share? (What time was it, what were you doing, who did you tell first, what was the outcome, etc.?) N/A yet
Most importantly, how do you feel? Not that nervous really, so if someone could just tell my stomach that so I stop feeling like I'm about to be sick that would be nice!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Subject: Maths
College: Selwyn
GCSEs or equivalent: 9A*s, an 8 and a 7
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): A*A*A*A* achieved (2019)
Other academic qualifications: Nope haha
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? 2/10, it's not looking good
If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? I'm not sure, I love the course and the uni but I'd need to consider whether my mental health will be strong enough to cope with the intensity
Any other universities got your attention? Most likely going to end up at Warwick if not Cambridge, so very grateful to have an unconditional offer there!
Any details of the news you want to share? (What time was it, what were you doing, who did you tell first, what was the outcome, etc.?) N/A yet
Most importantly, how do you feel? Not that nervous really, so if someone could just tell my stomach that so I stop feeling like I'm about to be sick that would be nice!
It's great to hear you have that unconditional! I'd imagine you're going to be pretty successful no matter what happens today. Impressive grade profile, so do you mind if I ask why you're not so confident? Obviously it's not just about the grades, but you seem a strong candidate on the surface at least.

I relate on that last part btw! I feel like I shouldn't be scared, especially as I'm not dead-set on Cambridge, but I guess the anticipation really does build in the stomach.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
It's great to hear you have that unconditional! I'd imagine you're going to be pretty successful no matter what happens today. Impressive grade profile, so do you mind if I ask why you're not so confident?

I relate on that last part btw! I feel like I shouldn't be scared, especially as I'm not dead-set on Cambridge, but I guess the anticipation really does build in the stomach.
My interviews weren't great, and given it's been a while since I did my A levels I kind of needed them to go well to prove I still know maths :lol: Ah well, I'd just like the closure at this point, the whole process has dragged on way too long for my liking! Good luck today
aliviapearl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subject: English
College: Clare
GCSEs or equivalent: Bad lol (average of a 7)
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): achieved A*A*A*A
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? 1

If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? Y e s

Any other universities got your attention? Durham, St. Andrews, Newcastle, York

Any details of the news you want to share? (What time was it, what were you doing, who did you tell first, what was the outcome, etc.?)

Most importantly, how do you feel? AAAA
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
My interviews weren't great, and given it's been a while since I did my A levels I kind of needed them to go well to prove I still know maths :lol: Ah well, I'd just like the closure at this point, the whole process has dragged on way too long for my liking! Good luck today
Ah gotcha. I hope it was better than you think!

Completely get what you mean there, especially with Oxford offers seeming to be released so much earlier. Thank you, and I wish you luck as well!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliviapearl)
College: Clare
GCSEs or equivalent: Bad lol (average of a 7)
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): achieved A*A*A*A
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? 1

If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? Y e s

Any other universities got your attention? Durham, St. Andrews, Newcastle, York

Most importantly, how do you feel? AAAA
Nice to see you here! I'm wishing you the best of luck today as you really would deserve a place from what I've seen of you on the site. I hope your lack of confidence is proven wrong, and I'm sure we'll all be here to support you no matter the outcome! I believe you're on my ELAT thread as well, and I'm sure that will be revived today too; the people there are always so lovely if you need anything <3
aliviapearl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nice to see you here! I'm wishing you the best of luck today as you really would deserve a place from what I've seen of you on the site. I hope your lack of confidence is proven wrong, and I'm sure we'll all be here to support you no matter the outcome! I believe you're on my ELAT thread as well, and I'm sure that will be revived today too; the people there are always so lovely if you need anything <3
Nice to see you again too! Thank you, that's far too lovely of you to say <3 Hopefully we can share in mutual good news today, I'm thinking of you because you deserve this!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliviapearl)
Nice to see you again too! Thank you, that's far too lovely of you to say <3 Hopefully we can share in mutual good news today, I'm thinking of you because you deserve this!
I really appreciate that, and it's no problem! I hope for exactly the same
Talulla:)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
currently waiting for my form tutor to start online registration, so I thought I’d do this while I wait!😂

College: Girton
GCSEs : 9888777766
predicted A*AA but currently achieving A*A*A in my work!
Other academic qualifications: None
6 maybe?? my ELAT score was higher than I expected in the end but my interviews were quite challenging and I came out feeling pretty mediocre 😂
This is what I’m really stuck on, I’m not sure yet because I’m uncertain about whether I will be able to keep up with the academic pressure and workload 24/7!! I know if I do get an offer though everyone I know will be expecting me to accept it
I fell in love with York University (which I have an offer for) when I went to visit the city in October and the course looks perfect!! Tbh I love all of the Universities I’ve applied for (apart from Durham maybe - I’m still a bit unsure about it bc I’ve heard a lot of students say ppl are very pompous there and that they didn’t enjoy it there)

N/A yet!!

Nervous, but trying to stay positive !! I know that it’s not the be all and end all of everything, so I’m just trying to focus on that!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talulla:))
currently waiting for my form tutor to start online registration, so I thought I’d do this while I wait!😂

College: Girton
GCSEs : 9888777766
predicted A*AA but currently achieving A*A*A in my work!
Other academic qualifications: None
6 maybe?? my ELAT score was higher than I expected in the end but my interviews were quite challenging and I came out feeling pretty mediocre 😂
This is what I’m really stuck on, I’m not sure yet because I’m uncertain about whether I will be able to keep up with the academic pressure and workload 24/7!! I know if I do get an offer though everyone I know will be expecting me to accept it
I fell in love with York University (which I have an offer for) when I went to visit the city in October and the course looks perfect!! Tbh I love all of the Universities I’ve applied for (apart from Durham maybe - I’m still a bit unsure about it bc I’ve heard a lot of students say ppl are very pompous there and that they didn’t enjoy it there)

N/A yet!!

Nervous, but trying to stay positive !! I know that it’s not the be all and end all of everything, so I’m just trying to focus on that!
Nice to see another English hopeful!

It's great you're achieving higher than predicted, and I guess that just goes to show that you'd be successful anywhere. York sounds very interesting, and what you're saying about it really reminds me of how I felt about Lancaster. I get what you mean about academic pressure, especially for English! I found Downing's website most helpful for getting into it, and found there's not so much a syllabus as recommended and expected reading, which there's quite a bit of. Not to put you off of course, especially if the course is more suited to you, but I hate Shakespeare and he seems to be a big part lmao.

Mind if I ask your ELAT score?

Best of luck!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Well, here it is! 9:00am! I believe this is when it all begins...

Praying for us all to hear back sooner rather than later. Good luck!
Talulla:)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nice to see another English hopeful!

It's great you're achieving higher than predicted, and I guess that just goes to show that you'd be successful anywhere. York sounds very interesting, and what you're saying about it really reminds me of how I felt about Lancaster. I get what you mean about academic pressure, especially for English! I found Downing's website most helpful for getting into it, and found there's not so much a syllabus as recommended and expected reading, which there's quite a bit of. Not to put you off of course, especially if the course is more suited to you, but I hate Shakespeare and he seems to be a big part lmao.

Mind if I ask your ELAT score?

Best of luck!
I applied for Lancaster too!!!! It’s probably my 2nd to last choice purely because, although it is incredibly beautiful and has lovely grounds and a great course, my dad’s family lives about 10 mins from there and I thought obviously on the upside it would be lovely to be near as we don’t see them that often but also I want to be away from family for the sake of independence!!

I got 51 on the ELAT, which I know isn’t the best of the best, but I was expecting to get the average i.e. in the 40s honestly!!

I guess I’m used to academic pressure, due to taking 3 essay subjects, but I think at Uni I really want a better work/life balance!

It seemed like the syllabus is a bit more constrained i.e. there’s not as much choice of modules at Cambridge than at other Universities, which it my only issue with their syllabus really!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talulla:))
I applied for Lancaster too!!!! It’s probably my 2nd to last choice purely because, although it is incredibly beautiful and has lovely grounds and a great course, my dad’s family lives about 10 mins from there and I thought obviously on the upside it would be lovely to be near as we don’t see them that often but also I want to be away from family for the sake of independence!!

I got 51 on the ELAT, which I know isn’t the best of the best, but I was expecting to get the average i.e. in the 40s honestly!!

I guess I’m used to academic pressure, due to taking 3 essay subjects, but I think at Uni I really want a better work/life balance!

It seemed like the syllabus is a bit more constrained i.e. there’s not as much choice of modules at Cambridge than at other Universities, which it my only issue with their syllabus really!
Manchester is my second to last for the same reason!

No that's amazing! Well done!

I completely get that, and the Cambridge terms seem so intense.

Yeah I 100% agree on that note.

Also, seems like offers are flooding in based off some other threads here, particularly Christ's!
c055992716
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subject: History
College: Downing
GCSEs or equivalent: 9999888877
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): A*A*A
Other academic qualifications: I have completed an EPQ but no grade yet.
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? Solid 2.5

If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? Yes

Any other universities got your attention? Bristol is my second choice and I definitely wouldn't be disappointed to accept their offer

Most importantly, how do you feel? Nervous, like anyone, but mostly pessimistic. However, it'll be nice to have a little more clarity over what i'll be up to next year.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by c055992716)
Subject: History
College: Downing
GCSEs or equivalent: 9999888877
A-Levels (predicted or achieved?): A*A*A
Other academic qualifications: I have completed an EPQ but no grade yet.
How confident are/were you, on a scale of 1-10? Solid 2.5

If you get/have an offer, will you be accepting it? Yes

Any other universities got your attention? Bristol is my second choice and I definitely wouldn't be disappointed to accept their offer

Most importantly, how do you feel? Nervous, like anyone, but mostly pessimistic. However, it'll be nice to have a little more clarity over what i'll be up to next year.
I wish you the best of luck! Impressive grade profile so no problems there of course. Really hope you get what you want, but it's nice to hear that you wouldn't mind Bristol either.

Well done for getting this far. Shouldn't be too long now! I definitely know what you mean with the clarity.
c055992716
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wish you the best of luck! Impressive grade profile so no problems there of course. Really hope you get what you want, but it's nice to hear that you wouldn't mind Bristol either.

Well done for getting this far. Shouldn't be too long now! I definitely know what you mean with the clarity.
Thank you! Same goes for you. I also understand what you mean about not knowing how I'll react...I'm the oldest sibling of the family and my parents never went to uni and I've never gone through anything like this before. Best of luck
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
(Original post by c055992716)
Thank you! Same goes for you. I also understand what you mean about not knowing how I'll react...I'm the oldest sibling of the family and my parents never went to uni and I've never gone through anything like this before. Best of luck
I'm the oldest too (and only on my mum's side). My dad went to uni but he doesn't talk with me much lol, although he's been very interested in this process.

Best of luck to you too!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Update: I was rejected. I may update more later but just wanted to share.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%