The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 1

Hi, I need help!
I have the 2020 paper with the Rosie girl and im struggling on question 2- its so terrible and its going towards my grades. Can anyone help?
Original post by nataliegorenx
Hi, I need help!
I have the 2020 paper with the Rosie girl and im struggling on question 2- its so terrible and its going towards my grades. Can anyone help?

Hii, i don't have that paper so i can't really give you most help but q2 is about language. Start of by: the writer (what ever their name is) uses ( a language technique eg: simile, lexical field. I would give you an example but i don't have the paper, i'm sure you can identify a simile) to show.... ( what the question is asking you to do) then out your quote in (the simile) which implies.... (explain it/ analyse it ) now choose a word from the quotes and suggest what it means, (eg: the word "dark" suggests mystery, fear but also power) now tell me what kind of atmosphere this creates and what effect it has on the reader.
if you want you could send through the 2020 paper , i could hep you with examples. If not, good luck!! Hope it helpss. Have a nice dayy (:
Original post by imsleepingmate
Hii, i don't have that paper so i can't really give you most help but q2 is about language. Start of by: the writer (what ever their name is) uses ( a language technique eg: simile, lexical field. I would give you an example but i don't have the paper, i'm sure you can identify a simile) to show.... ( what the question is asking you to do) then out your quote in (the simile) which implies.... (explain it/ analyse it ) now choose a word from the quotes and suggest what it means, (eg: the word "dark" suggests mystery, fear but also power) now tell me what kind of atmosphere this creates and what effect it has on the reader.
if you want you could send through the 2020 paper , i could hep you with examples. If not, good luck!! Hope it helpss. Have a nice dayy (:

honestly youre a legend
Original post by imsleepingmate

Yes could you help me, do u have insta, i could send it there if possible
this is what I wrote and I got a 6/8. I hope it helps :smile:

Q2. The writer uses the adjectives 'unfamiliar' 'mess' and 'muddle' to describe the garden to the readers, this portrays a sinister and untidy image of the garden to the readers suggesting to the readers that the garden is not being taken care of.

The writer also uses the simile 'like a gigantic malformed hand' to describe the roots of the ancient mulberry tree. The use of the simile and the adjective 'malformed' suggests to the readers that the tree looks as if it is abnormal thus making the garden look eccentric, intriguing the readers and increasing the tension of the scene.

The writer also uses the oxymoron 'wintry sun' that 'hung low in the sky and gnarled growth through twisted shadows'. The writer uses the oxymoron to make the reader feel disturbed and the atmosphere of the garden feel unsettling. The use of the animalistic verb 'gnarled' also perhaps connotes to the reader that the garden is eerie and alarms the reader.
Reply 5
I need your help on this paper!! Pleaseeee
hey i can help, anyone add my insta and i’ll help you there : laurenshaw.2
Reply 7
:smile:
if you wanna know what i wrote for question 2 or 3, it was about how the garden was presented:
i wrote about how the garden had a tree, which had personification , the personification makes out the tree is some sort of guardian of the garden, it protects those beneath it,
i also mentioned the thickness of the garden towards the gate could be that the garden is keeping those inside captive, and how the garden potentially is apart of the supernatural and blah blah,
just a few ideas :biggrin:
does anyone happen to know the section B question? i have the photo but not the question that comes with it
Original post by nataliegorenx
Hi, I need help!

Hi, I was wondering If you could send me the paper as it would be a great help for my revision.
Original post by Sjdjhdjs:)
Yes could you help me, do u have insta, i could send it there if possible

sowey for the late a$$ response, i'm not the best in English however if ya still need help i'm free. Just pm me and i'll let ya know my insta (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending