The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry help

Can anyone help me with this 3-marker?
"The flavour and texture of chocolate comes from a blend of compounds.Using your knowledge of chemistry, describe how you could show thatthere are ionic compounds and covalent compounds present in chocolate." Thank you!
Not sure about covalent but for ionic you could consider the fact it would conduct when molten.
Original post by loubielou123
Not sure about covalent but for ionic you could consider the fact it would conduct when molten.

Would it be anything to do with the esters and aldehydes (hydrocarbons, i.e., covalent compounds) in chocolate that give it its sweet tastes and scents?
Original post by hellohello21
Can anyone help me with this 3-marker?
"The flavour and texture of chocolate comes from a blend of compounds.Using your knowledge of chemistry, describe how you could show thatthere are ionic compounds and covalent compounds present in chocolate." Thank you!

Your best bet is to use the solubility properties of ionic and covalent compounds.

Ionic dissolved in water (usually)
Covalent dissolve in non-polar solvents (usually)
i think it's to do with the hydrophobic head and hydrophilic tail in the structure of emulsifiers which are added to chocolate to emulsify (merge together) the fats and oils with the water used to make chocolate, since viscosities of oil and water causes them to separate. with this structure, you can find out that chocolate contains ionic compounds because the polar ionic

Quick Reply

Latest