The Student Room Group

Help me choose between newcastle and cardiff university for law

I have offers from both universities for law and not sure which one is better in terms of academic prospect and becoming a lawyer
They're about the same in terms of academic prospects and employability - both RGs and decent unis in general. I'm not sure of the rankings these days but I think Cardiff is maybe slightly better, but they're about equal in terms of prestige. In terms of becoming a lawyer being a barrister is not really an option for you at either of these two unis (well, it is, but it's a long, hard slog) and you'll have just a hard time as you would at any RG through the solicitor route. So go for the one that has the vibe you prefer is my recommendation!

Because of this you should be thinking more about location, campus, social life, uni culture. Do you prefer to be in the north or south/Wales? City/campus uni? Is one more sociable than the other? From what I know about Cardiff its nightlife is alright but you might want to check about Newcastle. Are any of the lecturers researching fields that you're interested in possibly pursuing? For example if you're interested in family law I would rec Cardiff more, but Newcastle could be better in other stuff like commercial/human rights/etc.

I personally would choose Cardiff but that's only because I know it's decent and don't know many from Newcastle.
Original post by kp07l
They're about the same in terms of academic prospects and employability - both RGs and decent unis in general. I'm not sure of the rankings these days but I think Cardiff is maybe slightly better, but they're about equal in terms of prestige. In terms of becoming a lawyer being a barrister is not really an option for you at either of these two unis (well, it is, but it's a long, hard slog) and you'll have just a hard time as you would at any RG through the solicitor route. So go for the one that has the vibe you prefer is my recommendation!

Because of this you should be thinking more about location, campus, social life, uni culture. Do you prefer to be in the north or south/Wales? City/campus uni? Is one more sociable than the other? From what I know about Cardiff its nightlife is alright but you might want to check about Newcastle. Are any of the lecturers researching fields that you're interested in possibly pursuing? For example if you're interested in family law I would rec Cardiff more, but Newcastle could be better in other stuff like commercial/human rights/etc.

I personally would choose Cardiff but that's only because I know it's decent and don't know many from Newcastle.

Thank you so much for your reply as that has given me more clarity on the different universities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending