morgan1317
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am in year 12, and really struggling with German. I got a 9 at GCSE, so thought I would be okay, but I am finding it so hard. I am doing around 8-10 hours of German revision a week, but am still stuck at C/Bs. I really want to do medicine, so need to be getting As by the end of the year really.Any advice? Thanks!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Try flashcards.

This is a list of techniques

Flashcards- perfect for quick revision
Notes- ideal for lengthy revision sessions
Past papers- ideal for giving written feedback and evaluating technique etc
Tape recorder- recommended for more speaking and listening practice
Pictures- for cartoon strips and the like
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by morgan1317)
I am in year 12, and really struggling with German. I got a 9 at GCSE, so thought I would be okay, but I am finding it so hard. I am doing around 8-10 hours of German revision a week, but am still stuck at C/Bs. I really want to do medicine, so need to be getting As by the end of the year really.Any advice? Thanks!
Which Board?
musicalrose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are your weaknesses/ what makes you lose marks the most? Some things in German are pretty easy to fix and can massively boost your grades, like knowing your adjective endings, knowing how to conjugate verbs properly, knowing how to use all of the tenses ect.
bobbing_along
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by morgan1317)
Grammar is way more important at A-Level. Get yourself a grammar book and work on bits you find difficult.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I recommend Hammer's German Grammar and Usage, it's invaluable; I've used it for years.
bloograpefroot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Make sure you have the “the” and “a” table memorised for all of they cases so your grammar is perfect. Learn some complex structures and then all you have to know is vocab. Quizlet has all the vocabulary already made Into Flashcards so just add them to your folder to revise. My tearful told me I had to move my content from gcse to a level by writing like I write in English
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Here are some general language revision tips that I use for French and German at uni, and other languages on the side:
- Focus on one small element of grammar at a time. Find example sentences using that grammatical structure, and explain what's happening and why with grammar and syntax in each sentence. If you can't work out why something is there, use notes and research to try and find out.
- Read in the language. Reading fiction means that you not only get experience with literary structures but you also revise vocab you may not see every day, you go over grammar, and when you find a sentence that you just don't understand, you can analyse lit as above to help improve your grammatical understanding.
- Vocab. Try to learn as many of the words from your textbook as possible. This is more of an a level/ gcse tip, but honestly, the vocab lists don't always have all the vocab they use in the chapters, but a lot of the vocab that comes up in the textbook will be on the exam paper, even if it isn't on the vocab list.
- listen to music and podcasts in the language, and try to follow a) the general themes being discussed, d) the general arguments or ideas being discussed, or c) the line of discussion/ flow of the music, depending on your confidence.
- learn your grammatical tables... there's no avoiding it!
- make sure you know the conjugations of the top 100 verbs, at least.
- write to/ talk to native speakers and/or keep and diary in German. Using the languages casually will show you what vocab and grammar you're not so solid on, particularly if the native speaker will correct you!

There are other tips I could give, but there are the main ones! Make sure to practice grammar and comprehension skills, and your level will start to improve!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (38)
31.93%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.92%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed