The Student Room Group

A- level

Hello,

My name is amina and I am 37 years old . I had done schooling in Germany until class 12 but got married afterwards so couldn’t complete my Abitur which is equivalent to A levels . I have 3 kids all studying . Elder ones are in O level and Little one in class 6 . I am keen to resume with my studies now as kids have grown up now and I have plenty of time so want to invest that time into something good . I need to start my A levels kindly advise me how to start . I want to study from home . Where do I need to apply ? Thanks in advance . Amina
Reply 1
If you are intending to teach yourself from textbooks and online resources then there is no need to apply until you are ready to enter for the exams.
Reply 2
I may sound stupid but I really have no idea from where to start .... like which subjects to take and how to prepare for exams and when the exams will be held ?
Reply 3
Most people take 3 subjects as full time study for 2 years, aged 16-18, but as a mature student it may suit you to do one at a time.

If you aren't studying at a centre/school then it is difficult to take subjects that include coursework, so it's best to stick with ones 100% assessed by exams. These include: Maths, Further Maths, Business, Economics, Law, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Classical Civilisation, History of Art, Ancient History, modern languages (e.g. French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Greek, Chinese, Arabic)

Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and Geology?) require you to attend a centre to undertake some practicals which is expensive although how you do in the practicals does not affect your grade

English Language, English Literature, Geography, History, Computer Science, Music, Music Technology, Design Technology and Art all have coursework (called non-examination assessment (NEA)) which has to be completed under the guidance of a centre - this normally means you need to sign up to a distance learning course or find a very helpful exam centre in order to complete them

There are some other subjects - La\tin, Ancient Greek and some more I've probably forgotten as this is from memory

What do you think you might be interested in?

Quick Reply

Latest