The Student Room Group

should i rent strike ? (university halls)

I’m at leeds uni in halls and i’m really unsure on whether i should rent strike or not.

Part of me really does want to but what’s holding me back is that they have offered a refund if you stay at home between 11th January and 19th February or something. I do still have a problem with this as obviously lockdown started before the 11th and they’ve already said they won’t offer any more of a refund if it’s extended past the 19th of feb, and there was the xmas travel window which meant leaving a week early. But i do want to go back after the 19th of feb.

Basically i’m scared of it not working and them then not even giving back the refund they’ve already offered and also a bit scared of all the legal stuff.
Original post by e2002!
I’m at leeds uni in halls and i’m really unsure on whether i should rent strike or not.

Part of me really does want to but what’s holding me back is that they have offered a refund if you stay at home between 11th January and 19th February or something. I do still have a problem with this as obviously lockdown started before the 11th and they’ve already said they won’t offer any more of a refund if it’s extended past the 19th of feb, and there was the xmas travel window which meant leaving a week early. But i do want to go back after the 19th of feb.

Basically i’m scared of it not working and them then not even giving back the refund they’ve already offered and also a bit scared of all the legal stuff.

To be honest I'd be grateful of what they are offering you. It's the same as most unis. They don't have to do it at all. Think yourself lucky as the majority of 2nd years + are in private accommodation and very few of them have been offered any refund. Also, it wouldn't personally really do you any favours by striking. We're all in this together. People have lost jobs. People have died. Try and think of the bigger picture here.
Original post by Anonymous
To be honest I'd be grateful of what they are offering you. It's the same as most unis. They don't have to do it at all. Think yourself lucky as the majority of 2nd years + are in private accommodation and very few of them have been offered any refund. Also, it wouldn't personally really do you any favours by striking. We're all in this together. People have lost jobs. People have died. Try and think of the bigger picture here.

If the lockdown is extended, how do you expect OP to pay for accommodation they wouldn’t be in? Plus, some students have lost their families or have parents who lost their jobs, should they still pay too?
Original post by TheStarboy
If the lockdown is extended, how do you expect OP to pay for accommodation they wouldn’t be in? Plus, some students have lost their families or have parents who lost their jobs, should they still pay too?

I'm in exactly that position myself.

Quick Reply

Latest